Author Topic: I fully understand evaluation--but---  (Read 169 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
I fully understand evaluation--but---
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:26:54 AM »
I have been on both sides of the evaluation spectrum so I consider myself fully qualified to complain. The day Jewel was dismissed from the hospital last month I was approached with the idea of some home health care. This sounded like something that was a prayer answered. It wasn't, without going into all the details I let it be know loud and clear we didn't need one more person coming out taking blood pressure, watching Jewel get in and out of bed, climb the stairs, checking the shower, wanting to know about house cleaning and food prep. I understood the first evaluation visit but after the third I wanted to know why they weren't on the same page. I told them not to come back. Jewel & I have been taking care of each other over 63 years and I'm pretty sure we know how to continue.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: I fully understand evaluation--but---
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
Agreed Monroe. They need to stay out of your business unless you need them physically. Some things need to be family only- sure don't need anyone taking over control  . In Ark, they  use to give showers but couldn't trim toenails etc..   I don't know how it is now though.. God bless you and Mrs. Jewel and keep ya'll safe .
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:53:32 PM by bordercollie »
Central Mississippi

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
thanks judy, had I fully understood what this was about I would never have accepted it.

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »
Just keep doing what your instinct tells you to do.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
I often have wondered about the benefit of Home Health Care. From what I could tell from other friends experiences, they did not do much of anything that was very helpful. I had wondered if it had changed for the better. Guess not!

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:53 PM »
Home health has its place but it really depends on your situation. If you need an IV administered or other services by skilled nurses, it can be great. For routine stuff you can do yourself, you are better off doing that. The reason an evaluation is done it so that the provider can come up with a "plan of care". This must be approved by the company's medical director and subsequently by Medicare. Visits or treatment are only approved after that.

Many companies are looking at the amount of CPT codes they can billed per visit so that they can afford to continue in the home health field. Rates have been dramatically reduced the last several years making it harder and harder for these companies to stay in business. I should know.... that's why I am retired today.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 06:57:48 AM »
Double B what you are saying is most likely why I wasn't impressed with the service. The young ladies who came were very nice and they all had lap tops but not a one knew what the previous one had done. I wanted to know why , it seems one or two were doing contract and didn't use the same computer program. What we could use are exercise methods for memory, I thought that was to be the primary goal.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
I pray that you can get what you need for Ms. Jewel and her memory. I also hope you know how much we pray for you and her and value the strength of the relationship you have. Your commitment to each other has stood the test of time and I honor you!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
Thank you, we do know and can feel the support of prayers. The young in our families today like to hear about our days as two kids. I like to think they can see what a true friend ship is between a boy and girl and then follow us & know what love is about. With the challenge we have today it is still our strong belief that we must continue to set an example, we may never know if someone was helped what I do know is the encouragement left by others who have been down this same path.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
Home Health Care has its place.  I was on home health care for 7 months after contracting a severe infection after an open abdomen surgery.  The nurse came in every weekday and deride the wound which was 12" x 8".  It would close inch by inch and as it got smaller she started coming in every 3 days then every 2 days,

She would also take vitals and also give shots, bring medication and whatever else was needed. That is what home health care is.

I took care of my mother for her last five years due to Alzheimer Disease and never had any home health care offered.  I did as good as I could taking care of her and made life as easy as I could for her.  I think that having someone coming in weekly and disrupting things would have been more a hindrance than  a help.

Just my 2.

Bob 
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA