Author Topic: Hot Pepper salt method  (Read 389 times)

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Hot Pepper salt method
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
I made some yesterday with 7 Pot Primo peppers. It needs to be cut with more salt, this stuff is nasal clearing. It has a fruit flavor then the heat kicks in. I ended up making a course and normal grind. I used 8 of these to a 3lb box of Kosher salt. I also ran the dehydrator for the others, they'll also work to make this salt.

It made a beautiful colored innocent looking salt!!!!! ;)

Here's how I made it.

(Note: You can do this with any chilli though, superhots add more zing to give people the wow factor ;D)

1. Get approximately 50% salt, to 50% chillies, de-seed the chillies if you want a more refined product. Use your judgement, if you have superhot peppers then obviously you don't want to use a 50/50 mixture.
2. Get a good food processor, blend the chillies until a paste or leave some small chunks to give it more color, it's up to you. I used about a 1/4 cup of lime juice to make a slurry.
3. Add salt and pulse until you get a nicely blended chunky paste. You may need to add a little water if it too thick to mix together. Don't worry about adding water to salt, it'll dry out in the oven.
4. Get a baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
5. Smear the salty paste over the sheet of paper.
6. Place in an oven on your lowest possible temperature (I used the convection set at 170F, that's the lowest setting on my oven).
7. Let it bake, infuse and crystallize for a couple of hours (cooking time depends on amount of product).
8. Break up 2 or 3 times throughout baking, to stop it from sticking and clumping together.
9. KEEP AN EYE ON IT FROM TIME TO TIME AND OPEN A WINDOW! Keep checking and stirring the salt around to dry the salt completely.
10. Let it cool and set for a couple of hours, or even leaving overnight in the oven.

You can either just bottle up in mason jars, or grind it to a finer consistency. It can be used as a finishing salt or season anything you cook. I'm gonna make a BBQ rub with some to try on hot wings.

I'm really curious to try some on cooked greens.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Hot Pepper salt method
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »
Thanks for this recipe!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »
Did you have any trouble after blending with the pepper dust coming out of the blender?  My 7 pots are just starting to produce.  Bill

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
I didn't have that problem, I used a food processor and just pulsed it a few times. You can break most of it up by hand after it's dried out. I did sift it through a Chinese noodle strainer to get the big pieces out and just added those to the food processor. That's how I got the two different grinds.

I used the noodle strainer because that's the biggest mesh sieve I had and it worked fine. Here's what I used.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/5-1-2-x-5-1-2-stainless-steel-pasta-strainer-blanching-basket-with-wood-handle/407SLNS001.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI95TGno7C3QIVBRxpCh3aEwUNEAQYAiABEgIc8_D_BwE

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
Going to try this.  Thanks for all the info.  Bill

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »
I smoked a small brisket to make cheese-steak sliders and since the barrel was still rolling I decided to smoke some ghost peppers. The barrel was a little too hot and basically also roasted/dehydrated the peppers but it did add more flavor.

I reconstituted them in a small bowl of water then into the blender with a little lemon juice and some of the water from the bowl.

I measured the pulp/liquid for future reference, this was a little too much for a 3lb box of course Kosher salt as you can see the liquid in the pan before they went in the convection oven set at 170F for a few hours to dry.

I dumped everything back in the FP and added enough of that water to make it a thick slurry. Last time I made pepper salt I used a bigger FP and that worked much better. I didn't have to add as much liquid to get all of the salt mixed thoroughly.

I left the pans in the oven for about 4 hours and started breaking up the salt once it was dry enough. Here's the final product. It has a slight smoke flavor but I wanted more so I took one jar and smoked it the next day for 8 hours using hickory.

The jar on the right is the smoked salt and you can smell it so much more than the other jar. I was expecting a darker color but it looks like the smoke washed the pink color out some. It has good flavor and it's not too hot for most people, not as hot as I wanted it so next time I'll double the pepper amount.

I used 3 handfuls of hickory chips and about 3lbs of charcoal, I set up the coals in the snake method and topped it with chips and that burned about 8 hours. I'm gonna order an A Maze N smoker since it last about 12 hours using wood pellets. https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-AMNPS5x8-PMC-Pellet-Prefilled-Pitmasters/dp/B00IGAR8GK/ref=asc_df_B00IGAR8GK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167145798705&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11004534362561888505&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025241&hvtargid=pla-310156061950&psc=1

And yes the brisket cheese-steak sliders were good!