Author Topic: I'm a Youtube foodie junkie and I have to try that awesome food  (Read 322 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
I'm a Youtube foodie junkie and I have to try that awesome food
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:58:09 PM »
I've been wanting tacos since I watched a video Mark Wiens posted about taquitos. I'll leave a link at the bottom. The soup is Birria and I had to try it. So I watched a few vids, checked some recipes and decided to do my own thing using a few methods from some recipes I liked.

I dug through the freezer and found some leftover mole I made and pork chunks I needed to cook so I went shopping for the other ingredients. I'm making regular tacos too for the fam in case they don't like the Birria.

Starting on the marinade

I saved some mole to add later

Next was the salsa verde, I roasted the tomatillos, garlic, hatch peppers and onions

I cleaned out the pepper seeds and then it was all the kids in the pool with salt, black pepper, about 5 sprigs of cilantro stems and all, 1/2 cup of water and some chicken bouillon powder for a little flavor.

I simmered it for 15 minutes to thicken it up a little. The Hatch peppers go fantastic in this sauce!!!! Very flavorful!!

I finished off the toppings, this is a killer Pico with roasted Hatch peppers.

I made pickled onions too, I'm sure everyone knows the normal taco toppings from this pic.

Street sized tacos and tostados were the snack while I took a break before starting on the main meal I wanted to eat.

I skimmed the red oily fat off the soup to coat the corn tortillas to make taquitos stuffed with the soup meat. I cooked 4 then started on the quesadillas but before I was done they ate all my taquitos so I had to make more.

The meat marinaded for 3 hours, added to a pot with enough water to cover the meat. I added 3 Bay leaves and some more chicken powder. It cooked for about 5 hours total but it was done in 3, I just kept it simmering and adding more water as it cooked down. This turned out to be the secret, it's like a meat soup with a depth of flavor.

Finally I sat down to eat like it was a buffet.

The taquito dipped in the soup was like au jus!

The quesadillas are perfect to add toppings and drizzle that awesome soup broth over.

Good to the last bite and I drank that broth like it was the fountain of youth.

This is the video that started me wanting tacos and taquitos.
https://youtu.be/FT7mNxMMoi0?t=85

Salsa Verde recipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHERKypDy-A

and this is what I followed for the Birria recipe. I didn't add the mole I saved at the end, after I tasted it I didn't think it could get any better. The flavor is absolutely awesome, nothing like you would think looking at the red/mole broth. I also didn't add the thyme and allspice. I made this with pork and didn't want those flavors involved and I was right, this is an awesome soup for a cold day. Soul Soothing!!!!
https://youtu.be/FT7mNxMMoi0?t=85

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a Youtube foodie junkie and I have to try that awesome food
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »
If you enjoyed your dinner half as much as those two guys in the video then you really enjoyed your cooking!  I doubt that I could handle the heat anymore but it sounds delicious.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline tangentalstorm

• Sprout
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
Lord now I am hungry for tex-mex....you're killing me man....lol

great job!
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
That looks like a feast fit for a king!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
That looks great Ragun! Excellent pictorial also! Always enjoy your pics.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »
Thanks everyone. I had to try the soup after watching that video.

Bill, the soup isn't peppered at all just flavorful. I used Pasilla peppers to make the mole and there's no heat in it. These are the same peppers enchilada sauce is made with.

Everyone needs to make it at least once, the hardest part is making the mole and that's not really hard either. It's better if you make it the day before to let it sit then marinate the meat over night in it. After that it's as simple as boiling the meat for a few hours.

After more research it seems this is like Thanksgiving turkey. They make a big pot and eat different meals each day till it's gone. It's a soup, then tacos, burritos and enchiladas.

I made mole last night using guajillo peppers to add a little heat. I don't know when I'll use it but this time I'm adding pinto beans for a spicy Tex-Mex bean soup.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
Wow....you really got into it!! Looks and sounds awesome!!

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
When I make Tacos, I take out ground beef, onion, garlic, taco shells tomatoes, lettuce and taco seasoning.  That is too much work for me.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 08:20:35 AM »
Ha. Bigboberta, that is exactly the way I make mine!! As usual, I am always in a hurry or tired or hungry or whatever when I have made them.....so I pick the easiest way.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 02:17:39 PM »
Correction on the peppers, I used ancho chiles.

I finished my version of Mexican pork and beans soup but it's more like a chili really. The flavor is amazing. I'm gonna use Mole next time I make a regular chili. This has so much more depth of chile flavor compared to dried spices.

Ancho Mole marinaded pork butt cut into 1-2" chunks

I added beans and meat to the pot then topped it with water and added chicken bouillon powder and fired it up.

I even found some epazote and added a little, this isn't for everybody. At first I could smell a slight kerosene smell but after cooked it faded.

Simmered for a few hours till the meat was fall apart tender and the broth thickened.

Served with onions, diced tomatoes and seasoned with my pepper salt.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »
I made tacos with corn tortillas cooked on the gas stove burners, added some of the meat shredded, beans and a little of that gravy

Chopped up some sides for decorations! ;D That's a hatch pepper for a little heat and flavor.

Walla!!!

Topped with salsa verde and the normal american salsa

Time to eat, Nom Nom Nom!!!

After letting the soup sit while I ate it reminded me of Taco Bell's beans and cheese. Does anyone remember that? It was refried beans and came in a small container loaded with cheese.

This is so much better than Taco Bell, it's spoon slurping good!! :)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
Back again!!
This time from the "Nu:ders" lady, you'll get that if you watch the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aafmrrx7Bh4
SHOYU RAMEN

Not really but close enough and I had to throw my touch in it. The broth was seasoned with beef Pho paste, garlic, ginger, onions and chicken powder. I added other seasonings along the way to get the taste I wanted.

I started last night and made a big batch for future meals.
pork hocks and neck bones to start, This is after they simmered for a few hours.

I also added some tripe.

Cleaned the meat off the bones and simmered again.

After they cooled I put them in containers in the fridge and here's when I start to cook. I scraped the fat off and it's pure gelatin pork broth goodness.

First bowl of happiness.

I forgot to add the shrooms so here we go again.

Finally time to make a bowl. It doesn't look like it but I also made a tare sauce and soaked the egg in it, that color will come later.

Pure pork flavor from pig skin, tendons, meat and bone broth with a little tripe.

Blanched bean sprouts, chilled onions, green onions and cilantro.

Hoisin sauce, 6 minute egg and Sriracha.

This was worth all the trouble, it was slurping good!!

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 07:06:11 AM »
That broth!   You like to play with your food.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
Another great looking meal!
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller