Author Topic: Harvest sweet potatoes  (Read 922 times)

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest sweet potatoes
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Greg, I start my sweet potato slips in seeding soil similar to Ragun Gardener and are one of the easiest to make starts.  I'm not sure if you can kill a sweet potato. 

Last weekend, it was too wet around the sweet potato bags and going to wait till later this week to mess with them.  Figured they could suck up some more of the standing water and swell some more.  I'll get a picture this weekend.

The problem I have is the humidity or the lack there of... It's so dry here that the potatoes shrivel up. So I can't just throw them on a shelf. I have to create an enclosed environment for them if they are to keep for any length of time.

So here's what I did:
I started with a metal rack I got from Home Depot

then I wrapped the whole thing in black plastic

I have a humidifier on the bottom shelf that I adjusted to put out just a little steam. I stuck my hand in there and it's warm and wet...
So I guess it's working. :)

Before next season, if this experiment works, I'll create a permanent curing box with a wood frame.
I'll stick one of these https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Digital-Thermometer-Outdoor-Temperature/dp/B00WXIR8SO?ref_=w_bl_hsx_s_ho_web_11102085011 (remote temp and humidity monitor) So I won't have to open it, I can just switch the
humidifier on.

Some of the potatoes are pushing 5lbs. Too big to bake. I guess I'll cut em up and can or freeze them.

Inconsistant watering and the high temps caused a lot of cracking.

This was off two plants... going to try to get the rest of them today after I've run a sprinkler over the ground for a couple hours... that clay got hard as a rock

This one took a while to dig up... had to use a hand shovel ( if I would have had some explosives, it would have turned into a "hey y'all watch this!" moment.)   :) :D ;D

-Greg

LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
Greg....man, I am low rent about it. I just stuck all my potatoes in old plastic milk crates that had large round holes in the sides and stuck them in an unheated cold room with the blinds closed. They seemed to do fine but am sure your way is much more foolproof.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 06:14:48 AM »
Nice harvest Greg!

The curing rack is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
I planted a row (bunch of 100 slips) of Beauregard B63's they usually mature at about 100 to 110 days. Mine were at 120 days so I dug them up. Some were very large but that don't hurt them. I had a good crop all-in-all. The very small one's I kept to use to plant next year. We have baked some for taste test and are fantastic. It had been a very long time since I had planted sweet potatoes so this was an experiment. I will plant again next year for sure. ;)
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A
135 acres mostly hay fields
JD 5525, JD 5075E, Kubota L2501, JD 458 Baler and a Covington Planter

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 08:51:47 AM »
I planted a row (bunch of 100 slips) of Beauregard B63's they usually mature at about 100 to 110 days. Mine were at 120 days so I dug them up. Some were very large but that don't hurt them. I had a good crop all-in-all. The very small one's I kept to use to plant next year. We have baked some for taste test and are fantastic. It had been a very long time since I had planted sweet potatoes so this was an experiment. I will plant again next year for sure. ;)

Post some pics or it didn't happen!

...kidding. But it would be nice to see what you dug up. :)

-Greg
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
Uh, what Greg said!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 06:22:46 AM »
Greg,
here are some pictures so it did happen, about half my row of Beauregard B63's
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:27:42 AM by spchance »
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A
135 acres mostly hay fields
JD 5525, JD 5075E, Kubota L2501, JD 458 Baler and a Covington Planter

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
SUH-WEET!!!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
Greg,
here are some pictures so it did happen, about half my row of Beauregard B63's

Nice harvest! Thanks for sharing your pics!  8)

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »
Checked the first bag of sweet potatoes (White Triumphs variety) and there were a few medium size ones (perfect for me) but too many "fingerling" size sweet potatoes also.    I'm going to let them sit for a few more weeks, may be till November.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 08:26:58 AM »
I miss Beauregards.....will plant some next yr. Have had good success with them in the past. I like to try different things each yr in the limited space I have ....but MUST go back to including sweet potatoes....love em!

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
Nice harvest!!

Greg, you can buy a humidity controller to make it easy on yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ink+bird+humidity+controller&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229205010671&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15512442519034497665&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025241&hvtargid=kwd-391143089890&ref=pd_sl_14j58g365n_e_p38

Hi Ragun,

I bought this based on your recommendation. It's working really well. The humidity in the curing box stays between 85 to 90% humidity. The sweet potatoes are staying firm. Thanks again for posting the link.

-greg

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
I'm glad it worked, I found those looking for parts for a charcuterie curing chamber. They also have a temp controller too that might work for seedlings.

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Just a quick followup,

My curing process worked like a charm. All my sweet potatoes stayed firm after curing and tasted great on thanksgiving day.

Gonna have some more over Christmas.

I only had one glitch in the process. That is, I left the humidifier running too long on them. After 2 or 3 weeks, turn it off. I had some rot issues because the condensation drips and that caused mold to grow. So I lost about 5 or 6 six potatoes. So... lesson learned. But the rest are doing great.

:)

-Greg

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
I'm glad that worked out Greg.

FYI if anybody needs one of those temp controllers.
Inkbird has a 15% off code, check following information:
ITC-308: 15% coupon code: PCJFBPMN
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ITC-306T: 15% coupon code: GNLY6HOC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01486LZ50/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
CODE START DATE:12/07/2018 5:00 AMPST

ITC-310T-B: 15% coupon code: XEIWEFK9
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743CK1FN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
CODE START DATE:12/07/2018 5:00 AMPST

NOTE: Code will be expired on 20th Dec.

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »
Thanks for posting the video's.....I ended up watching several
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.