Author Topic: Potted Lemon tree blooming last week of September.  (Read 244 times)

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
Potted Lemon tree blooming last week of September.
« on: September 29, 2018, 11:30:15 AM »
Should a potted lemon tree be blooming this time of year in zone 9A?  It bloomed in the spring but did not set any fruit. The tree just set there through the summer despite watering it at least once a week last time I fertilized it was in late July.

All of a sudden it started putting on new leaves about 3-4 weeks ago and now it has blooms.  What are the chance that these will set and will the fruit survive the winter?  Will the new growth make the tree more susceptible to light freezes?

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Potted Lemon tree blooming last week of September.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
  I read that citrus can bloom at different times of the year, especially lemon,limes and kumquat. I would plan on keeping your tree above freezing temperatures as it does not take much cold to kill a young lemon tree.  The fruit can survive the winter if you protect the tree from the cold temps.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:40:50 PM by Chapman »
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
Ditto what Chapman said about protecting the tree. I had a two year old Meyer Lemon that I wrapped with care and a bad freeze smoked it. I was getting big beautiful lemons and was amazed that it died. It was wrapped as well as anything I had ever wrapped and was on the south side of my house. Just be careful and you'll make some lemons.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
Very nice healthy looking trees Dwight!
How old are they?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:42 AM »
Maggie.  Thanks.  This is the third season.

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »
In September, I posted a question about setting Lemons so late in the season.  The lemons are still on the plant.  But even though we have not had a freeze the plant has started dropping leaves and the remaining leaves are turning yellow.  It looks to me like the lemon tree is dying. I have been advised not to fertilise this time of year but what should I do to insure that the lemon tree survives and if possible keep the fruit until it ripens?  Pictures are below.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
Let me premise this with: I am no expert......

I don't think your plant is dying.
Both my Key lime and Myers lemon bushes go through that same change twice a year in the dead of winter and again late spring. I do give them a small dose of this:

Once in January again in May and again in mid September.

PS: My Key lime is starting to flower now.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
I would keep on fertilizing it since it is in a container.  What are your plans for the tree?  Do you plan to put it in the ground in the Spring or continue in the container?  It should do a lot better once it is in the ground. 
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 06:47:57 AM »
Leaf drop does happen, but it should be older leaves.  If it were me (and I am no expert but I have grown and killed citrus for 18 years) I would immediately pick the fruit off the tree to reduce the stress on the tree. The soil pH maybe high blocking iron uptake making yellow leaves. I would consider an ounce of vinegar once a week (diluted of course) and see if the leaves green up in about a month. definitely protect it from 32 and below temps. if you are going to keep it in a pot, I would repot it in the March. Or plant it in the ground in March. If you put it in the ground mainly use cotton seed meal for fertilizer. If you leave in the pot use a time release formula, osmocote or such.  Good luck Dwight
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.