Author Topic: Another twin calf  (Read 366 times)

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Another twin calf
« on: October 10, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »
  It's that time of year again here on the farm. Calves are popping every where and 2 sets of twins already !
   I caught this twin in the picture by the hardest yesterday morning. It was under a  tree that had been blown down and was hiding  in the underbrush there. It was sorta asleep but I decided to take off my boots when I went to grab it. That way , the noise of crackling grass would be less as I walked towards it. Well, I caught it and loaded it in the Kubota. Sis drove the RTV and I held it, but before we got to the catch pen where it's mama was, it tinkled all over me. hahaha  at least it was warm and not from the other end- now that would be not only  stinky but sticky as well .   bordercollie
Central Mississippi

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
Re: Another twin calf
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:20:15 AM »
Mrs Judy, congratulations.
Not a lot of twins born.
Does the mother cow "take" both of 'em ?
I have seen some cows that would try to kill &  have nothing to do with one if she had twins.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 06:18:57 AM »
WOW I don't know how big the other one is but  that looks a nice size baby!

To me this indicates your herd is well taken care of.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
That is one of those pictures that makes you smile.  :)
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »
What a sweet pic....congrats on the new arrivals!!

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
Thank ya'll Mr Horse ,Mike ,Maggie and Rabbitproof. :) The mama's are all slick and shiny  . We see to it that they are never neglected when it comes to feed.   In the winter when it's really cold for here, the cows get about 25-30 lbs of feed per day . I  load the feed wagons  with the skid steer  and it is usually amounts to  around 6,500 lbs per day- .. We still have good grass , thanks to the Lord and His rains.
   On the twin situation,the mama has taken the extra calf. What happened was after she had the 2 calves, she went off to graze or maybe get water - one followed her and one didn't . We found one and tagged it that day because it was with her. Then we find a calf the next day all alone under a tree same weight -roughly of 68 lbs<> and belly cord the same age . Now  though ,the tagged calf is missing . We take the mama (Y31) and the untagged calf to the catch pen and see if they  "know" each other. It moos and she mama moos back so that is good. Now we go to look for the tagged calf of hers and find it under that blown down tree. That's when the  I catch it without my boots on. Now they are both together at the barn and  the mama loves both of them.
That is great because a lot of times, the extra is abandoned (like the calf that ran and fell into the pond. ) that mama tried to smear it in the dirt when we took it to her. She said no way, that s not mine"!( Picture of calf being bottle fed by me was abandoned by his mama)
Now, after a good bottle of colostrum(given in the first 24 hrs to be effective) , I'm bottle feeding it at the barn. When our dairy animals calf, we will try and put it on her. Those dairy animals have huge bags of milk  but are really smart about if the calf is theirs or not.. So we will put her in the chute and let it nurse  until she gives in. ( Also use the Orphan no more powder on it because cows love to lick it off the calf and sometimes  grow affection for the calf that way. The other possibility is if a cow had a dead calf. Sometimes the mama will take another calf in that case. We have a few helpful things for encouraging that such as a product I referred to in the past called O no mo (orphan no more) .  That is good stuff - if you are a cow. haha       judy

edit: The nursing calf's posture looks rough but he is just standing like that to get the most milk coming- sorta like bracing himself.
    I mentioned about the pond /calf on an RTV forum, but what happened was the bil zipped by on his 4whlr and the calf ran off and fell in the pond's edge (down a little levee)  I jumped in and got him out before his head went under .. Life on a farm is never dull or boring- always something to do - . 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:29:03 PM by bordercollie »
Central Mississippi

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:10:20 AM »
Someday you should right a book!
Thanks for posting more photos of the calves They are just so darn cute and Momma is looking good as well.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
Wow...sounds like you know all the tricks of the trade. Yes, you really should write a book...so interesting. I have  no knowledge of such at all.....but love calves, cows....think it is the big, sweet brown eyes!!.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
Judy,

It sounds like a story with a happy ending this time and we are all proud for that. The love for livestock is seen in successful animal husbandry and it is obvious that you and your family are loaded up with that. Love the pictures too and thanks for sharing the stories.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »
Thank ya'll  :)  .. and another set was found yesterday. That makes a total of three sets.   We   brought this set to the barn with the mama too but she is being stubborn about the one she had left behind so we have to separate them behind a gate  until we can be there to police her. She can moo and lick them thru the gate panel but not hurt them. That can happen when the unwanted one pesters her for milk. I'm eager for the dairy cows to deliver so we can put the outcasts on her.
 One year, a mature dairy cow took care of 3 including her own.  She was well paid with extra feed.  :).
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
A picture of the dairy calf that took care of 3 calves  a few years ago. The 3rd one is hard to see in this picture.
Central Mississippi

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 03:48:07 AM »
Ms Judy that is my kind of cow with the 3 calves.
You just have to like one like that.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 06:45:38 AM »
Boy,.bet she did get extra feed. What a sweet cow!!

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 07:15:24 AM »
Having new life on the farm is better than Christmas as a kid ,You get the Present of the new life but also the bonus of the assured future. Enjoy your gifts.
  Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
 Thank ya'll for the kind comments. :) Just wanted to let everyone know that the 2 mamas are taking their calves and licking on both. We'll keep them in eyeshot for several weeks to make sure there is no forgetting  but all looks good.   Now just the  bottle feeding calf waiting on a dairy mama.   :) :)  judy
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
Things have been so busy but I  thought I had posted about this good news already. The baby now  has a dairy mama and over the past many  days has learned to nurse from behind - while the first time (naive) mama Jersey ate. Her baby would be at the side and the castaway would get in from the back.. now he is nursing from the side and fitting right in.. no kicking . I'll post some pictures soon.  (having trouble getting pictures to my computer now that picasa is kaput so  have to text/email from my phone to my computer email, individually >:(, then edit to fit  the forum with ipiccy  :) (easy) .)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:13:58 PM by bordercollie »
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
Happy days for the castaway!  No more a castaway :) :)
Central Mississippi

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 04:22:52 AM »
That is good news, Judy....smart little calf. Where there is a will, there is a way!! :)

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 03:14:47 AM »
Dr Judy, that is a good cow.
Glad you have got it worked out.

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
Haha He says it's "udderly delicious" .  ;)
Central Mississippi