Author Topic: Fig tree still putting on fruit in Zone 9A/B  (Read 126 times)

Offline Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
Fig tree still putting on fruit in Zone 9A/B
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
My fig tree is still putting on new growth and figs. Most are way too small to ripen before first frost. I'm getting 5 or 6 ripe figs a week but there must be 200-300 green figs ranging from pea size to full size on the tree.

Is this normal for this time of year? Is there any way to insure that I get maximum ripe figs before the first frost like pinching new growth or new figs?

I grew this plant from a cutting I took from a sickly 10 or 15 year old tree that never got over 5 ft tall. Stuck the cutting in a soil filled 18 gal. tote in 2015.  Planted it in the ground in May and it's about 6 ft tall and it's full of leaves and new growth.

Offline Mr. Scruffy

• Grasshopper
  • "step high jack, there's a log"
    • View Profile
Re: Fig tree still putting on fruit in Zone 9A/B
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:34:30 AM »
Went all summer without a fig. got one last weekend. Didn't think it would be any good but surprisingly, it was. Same kind of scenario; just an old tree that I broke a limb off of and stuck in a pot, then transplanted a couple of years ago. I think our weather down here may be the reason. Don't have an answer for you though.
Kidney Transplant recipient 6/23/2015 donated by my wonderful wife. She is my HERO.

Opportunity is missed by most because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Orange, TX zone 9a (I think) for now

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
Dwight,

Same song, second verse, here.  I rooted a Celeste fig cutting, then put it in the ground last Spring.  The tree is roughly 4 ft tall, and it's loaded with small, green figs.  Only one has ripened so far, and it was pretty tasty. 

Maybe Gene will provide some insight.  He's got a lot of experience with figs.

Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:26:35 AM »
Figs in the Fall is quite common  with certain varieties and on some young trees that haven't found their correct cycle yet. Usually in a year or two they will start to ripen figs in early summer. I have a tree, Scott's Black, which is a LSU variety that makes good figs until the first frost. I'm eating some wonderful figs right now. It does make some earlier in the year but continues to grow and produce all year. I also have an Improved Celeste that has given me figs all summer and I'm still getting a couple a week. It is a very good fig and productive. Some trees put on two distinctive crops, the earlier crop, called breba, grows on old wood and the new crop or main crop grows on the new wood of this year. LSU Purple puts on two and sometimes three crops when we have a long summer. I have a tree called Cajun Gold that put on figs until the first frost but only ripens the early ones in July. The rest never ripens but the tree keeps growing and producing figs. I'll try to get a few pictures to post.
"gene"