Author Topic: The Longest Hour  (Read 292 times)

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
The Longest Hour
« on: November 06, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
Well, Folks....just sitting here waiting for another hour to take my pup in to have him put to sleep. He was a rescue....have had him for 4.5 years. He came in as a stray to the animal shelter , and they estimated his age to be 8 or 9 yrs old then. He had a class 5 heart murmur and very bad teeth....but as soon as we brought him home, he was a ball of energy. He is a Chihuahua. Been a joy but started going downhill here recently....his heart is the major problem.  It is very enlarged now and has fluid on it....he has been coughing and gagging for 3 days. He is also mostly blind now from cataracts. Can tell he does not feel all that well...know he will only get worse from this point on. Seems to be a rapidly progressing situation...not going to put up with him suffering. This is my last dog....we have loved them all, but we just hate when this time comes. Am dreading 1:30 like the plague. RIP, Chico, you've been such a funny little guy and a  joy :'(

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: The Longest Hour
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
I am terribly sorry to hear this Rabbitproof. Loosing a fur baby is horrible and I hate you are having to go through this. While most of us have been through this before there's nothing that makes it any easier. God bless you.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Double B....Thank you so much. Yes, I have cried volumes now but held up pretty well at the vets. Boy, I miss him....my little buddy.  :'(

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
I understand what you are going through.  In September I had to deal with the same thing.  I had Pepper for 13 years and she was going through renal failure.  I still go and talk to her most every day.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 05:12:21 PM »
Bob....so sorry you lost your dog,too....13 years is a long time. The house sure is empty. Our pets sure are a strong presence in a home.....just seems  so empty around here. Been through this before several times but never seems to get easier. Thank you for your thoughts.

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
Mrs  Rabbitproof ,Truly, it is a very difficult time for you & all the  folks who choose a pet to share their life with .It comes to this point with our pet family members that their suffering is too great to allow & because we care for them ,then it is kinder to assist the inevitable passage without prolonging the torture. I am sorry for your loss  ,so remember  with a smile ,the joy & happiness this little fellow brought to you  & know you were there for him when he needed you most.
Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:03 AM »
Tazzy....thank you so much!! Yes, we will remember his little ways....he really kept us in stitches. He was a spunky little fella and had such a big personality. Will surely not be the same around here....he added a lot to our lives!!

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »
So sorry to hear this Rabbitproof.  They do become a part of the family and itís really hard when you lose em.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
Thank you so much, Donald!!  Not worth 2 hoops today....hope tomorrow can get over the "paralysis"....may take awhile. Yes, pets are definitely part of our families.

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:07:22 PM »
 This is so sad to hear Rabbitproof.  Our little furry ones are like children to us aren't they. Yes, I agree about it being so hard to bear as I have had this experience also. I also thought never again will I go thru this grievous pain... and then .. it happens.. the Lord puts one upon my lonely heart. Not only does my heart finds some joy again but so does a little furry one. I am given a chance for  that rare unconditional love again and then the little furry one is given a loving home...  as I look closely and deeply into the furry one's eyes, they lock with mine and  I see happiness and joy once again -for both of us . My 3rd little furry one( since an adult)  is asleep at my feet right now.  God bless you Rabbitproof.    judy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:09:32 PM by bordercollie »
Central Mississippi

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:53:27 AM »
Mrs Rabbit, I am sorry.

When Joe died ( my setter birddog) we have not got another dog.
He was one of a kind.
I got him when he was a 6 week old puppy.
We traveled many miles together hunting quail.
He has been gone many years now and my wife & I still miss him.

I hope you "recover" from Chico's passing and think of all the good times y'all had.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 04:13:32 AM »
Oh, Judy, you are so right about all you said. All 3 of our dogs  in our 47 yr marriage  have been rescues...so wonderful always  to see them go from so sad to so happy !! All were very long lived(one, 18 years) and totally devoted to us ....it was like they were just so grateful. Each one brought us much joy! Life, for us, just has never seemed quite complete without a furry friend around....yes, the devotion and unconditional love is priceless! Thank you so much for your kind (and so true) thoughts and words!!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 04:21:10 AM »
Crazyhorse.....Know how you still miss Joe. All our dogs had distinct personalities, and we still think about them and miss them all. Amazing how they can make such a lasting remembrance/impact  on our lives. I have always said that if people were more like dogs, the world would be a much better place!!

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
Rabbit I am sorry to hear about your little buddy Chico!
Thank you for rescuing the little guy and giving him a good life!

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
Thank you, Maggie.....I just cannot pass by an animal in need. Even as a child, I was always bringing home hurt or lost animals....my poor parents!!  We already had 2 dogs and at one time those plus a cat ,too. Mother would have to spend time trying to find homes for all I brought home...as busy as she was. We just did not have the space for more,because we lived in town in a residential area.....6  of us ,plus 2 or 3 pets was all she could handle at a time!! However, I remained a magnet,it seems, for hurt or lost animals...birds, turtles,etc,too!! It was like they all would somehow find me no matter where I was!! ;D

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 03:40:15 AM »
You Know ,No one is promised tomorrow.& quite unexpectedly , I took my Chocolate Lab named Jackson ,to the Vet today thinking he was a bit off  & might have a bladder infection. The vet gave him back to us in a plastic bag for burial on our little farm. My old mate  who was just 5 had liver cancer that despite numerous visits had remained undiagnosed. They said his allergy treatment had masked the problem..Anyway Mrs Rabbits ,My consolation for you will be put into practice here as I finish Jack's Grave
  Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 06:48:51 AM »
Oh, Tazzy, I am so sorry. At least we knew Chico had a extremely bad murmur, and it would get him in the end some day.....but you must be in total shock about your Jack. My sincerest sympathy goes out to you. :'(

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »
Thanks Mate ,  You are not Kidding,
Regards Pete

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 03:43:19 AM »
Mr Tazzy, I am sorry.
I hope you remember the good times and happiness  y'all had with Jackson.
It hurts when we have to  give them up.

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 06:38:38 AM »
Mr Crazyhorse , I Sincerely thank you for your kindness , my Jack was my best mate  & even though he was just with me 5 years  He was the gentlest lab who was obedient ,fun loving ,& gave me constant companionship & unquestionable love . I am sorely troubled with his passing.
Regards Pete