Author Topic: Greenhouse #2 build 34 x 60  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Greenhouse #2 build 34 x 60
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 05:01:12 AM »
Looks like you got a great germination on all of your seeds.

It is ALMOST that time of year for me to start lettuce,onions,beets,kale, cauliflower,broccoli and cabbage.

Yesterday I started setting up my seedling germination rack. My Pro-Mix is warming up in my office.

It is way to early for me to start tomatoes and peppers.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 05:22:28 AM »
Maggie I should have started everything for this HT around end of November begennng of December. Didn't thinks I would get to get it up with the crazy weather we been having.

Gonna add dirt to level it plus about 2 inches then add 2 inches of compost and another 2 inches of composted rice chaff to the rows. Till it all into the row and close up the sides.

I dont wanna close up the sides first because I wanna use my tractor for the first tilling. Get all the rows where they need to be, add more dirt to the walkways if needed.

After things year I will use the walk behind tiller in there or a broad fork.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:29 AM »
Bobcat....just now getting to see your progress....been tied up with Christmas, New years ,and a very sick brother. Wow...Colt is a ft taller it seems!!!!....man, he is hell on wheels with his vehicle. ;D  Watch your backs! All your progress looks great...good luck with everything!

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »
Rabbit,
Sorry to hear about your brother, hope he is doing better.

I made alot of progress the 2 weeks of Christmas break. I was very surprised, but I am still feeling it! Been a long time since I put in that many hours of physical work. But it's all worth it.

Colt sure is turning into a little man. After having his little truck for a few months he starting to figure out its fun. He also figured out he can climb on the tractor himself! He climbs up and down on it and just sits and plays. Pure little country boy!

Still have alot to do but it's so much fun!

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 09:12:15 PM »
Danny, I'm going to try some rice hulls with my other soil amendments this spring.  I want to bump up the silica in the beds.  Might order some potassium silicate while the rice hulls breakdown.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 04:27:56 AM »
Jimmy everything I read about rice hulls is positive. There's no nutritional value to them being in the soil but the texture it gives and the fluffiness it added makes the plants explode.
I have a cousin that has been using it for years.
Infact his garden has about 12 inches of this built up and he always has an amazing garden

This GH will probably be coming back own and will be set up at my house in town. Gonna be a city grower with the effects of possible flooding soon

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 05:58:35 AM »
This GH will probably be coming back own and will be set up at my house in town.

Is this a joke? or are you really planning on taking it down and moving it?
Don't you have another GH in the works?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
Its not a joke Maggie.

Dont wanna get into it on here but I will be taking it back down and moving it to my house in town.

I will have to do some dirt work to have it secured from flooding but I hope to have it back up before the fall for planting.

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
Danny, I've been reading about using rice hulls as a substitute to perlite and it provides silica.  Silica is suppose to increase the health of roots and stalks/vessels (increase transfer of water and nutrients), which may be could aid with our heat.  How long does it take for the rice hulls to breakdown and your cousin has to replace it?  Does he add it to the garden yearly? 

I think you would like it better at your house.  I really like getting home and working in the garden every evening, even if just a couple minutes.  However, a couple minutes normally turns into a couple hours and a couple beers, sometimes.  Going somewhere to work in the garden and then coming home would seem like work to me.  Myself, I'm working on removing the gazebo and storage area (really trash) so that I can put in 2 more beds and maximize space.   
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
He just adds yearly Jimmy. He put telephone post area the garden area. Started with the dirt and now it's over the top of thepost, bout 12 inches, it breaks down pretty fast. Depending on the soil he uses his like a  compost pile. Adds 4 inches on top a year then tills it in after fall

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
Also Jim i will be putting it in the side yard next to the house. Lol some of the neighbors might not like it

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
Bobcat.....convenience is everything with me as I age. Know you will enjoy the greenhouse close by...will be such a treat to just walk out and get to work!!

Online bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »
It sure will Rabbit.

Gonna have to fight people off to stop them from wanting buy stuff. I am on the main drag in town and almost across from the town grocery.

Might make some competition for them lol

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »
Ha....you got that right!!! ;D