Author Topic: Compost Tea Question  (Read 444 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Compost Tea Question
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:16:40 AM »
I have used compost tea for years and will for many years to come, but......since we have moved to northern Alabama and I am working on my first garden here, I have an idea to help the soil.
Would spraying a butt load of compost tea on the garden now do any good later?
My wife and I think a lot of it will be washed away by spring, but if any thinks different, I'll mixed up a 55 gal drum and launch an Ag-Cat Air Tractor and spray away.
Thanks in advance
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline BigOlButtaBean

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Compost Tea Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
Whats the quality of your soil? If its poor, it'll certainly help to start colonizing all the good stuff that makes your plants grow, but if its already decent, you probably wont see much of a gain.
  Firm believer in compost tea, myself. Wonderful stimulator to so/so or poor ground, the difference is amazing. Doesn't do much for well supplemented soil, mayhaps speed composting of leaf litter or other top dressings.

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »
I did a soil test back last spring when it was still a "field".
I have the test but not with me now.  I do remember it being what I expected...."below optimum" on most categories.
I think I'll brew up a big bunch and spray away.....sure can't hurt.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:41:18 AM »
Compost tea is the steeped extract of compost.  That compost is the result of biological breakdown of organic materials into essential building blocks of plant growth.  By adding them to the soil it does build the soil nutrient base. Compost tea is a mixture of complex organic materials, simpler organic compounds and elemental products like zinc, iron, copper, etc.  Adding these to soil enhance soil.  OF course some will be consumed by natural growth before you plant a garden there, some will leach off in rain and natural water transitioning through the soil before planting as well as more bio degradation.  In the long run however the soil will be enhanced.  The only limits to using the tea is if you have limited quantities.  Then I would save to for planting.  Also the compost tea will add biological improvement to the natural beneficial bacteria and fungal growth desired in garden soil. 

I hope you rnew garden works out well cat.   ;)
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline Lance

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
As hard as it is to make, I say hold on to it and use when plants are established. Run off is a an issue.  Keep it "fed" and wait. Bring in manures and sand, good fill, and composted wood chios. Or better yet send it to me . Address can be provided.