Author Topic: Soil test results advise  (Read 428 times)

Offline Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
Soil test results advise
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
I bought a yard of top soil last year and added part of it to one of my beds.  The 10 ft bed is a mixture of the previous contents, the new top soil, organic soil amendment, alfalfa pellets and Micro-life fertilizer.  After the bed had set for several weeks I sent soil samples of both the un-amended(new) and 10 ft bed soil to LSU Ag center for a soil test.  The results are attached below. Can anyone offer advice on how I can lower the pH without adding sulphur which is already too high?  What can I do to mitigate the excess calcium and magnesium?  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I know that the calcium and magnesium will eventually leach out but what effects will it have in the meantime.  I plan on planting beans and tomatoes in the bed this spring. Right now I have mustard greens, collards and dollar weed which are doing very well.

Offline Ben

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Soil test results advise
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
Hi Dwight-- the addition of the 2.40 pounds of ammonium  nitrate per 100 sq. ft. as recommended by your soil test  should lower your PH some.  The mustard greens and collards would appreciate a little extra nitrogen, not so much for the beans as they will make their own nitrogen if you have the right bacteria in the soil.  Tomatoes need some nitrogen but too much will have a lot of growth with not much fruit.

You can also sprinkle with cottonseed meal.

Ben
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:50:09 PM by Ben »
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:10:36 AM »
If you don't have it, download this sheet from LSU AG
https://www.lsuagcenter.com/~/media/system/a/e/9/5/ae951c0e4d25ecd7658617b3ad58da96/g-808.pdf   It is a companion Sheet to the soil test.

Their recommendations of what to use by group of vegetables are what is listed at the top.  In both tests, nothing is needed for group 3  vegetables.  What you need is a source of nitrogen and a little potash.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:14:43 AM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
The pH is a concern because our city water is about 7.9 to 8.2 so just the act of irrigating can raise the pH.  And things like ammonium sulphate just raise the elemental sulphur level which is already high.

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
These are 10' by what beds?  May be add some peat moss to the beds.  How did the pH get high, from the yard of top soil?  What was in that dirt?
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.