Author Topic: Ewe helping her lamb  (Read 273 times)

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Ewe helping her lamb
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:47:50 PM »
With the extreme cold weather we have had recently I didn't get any pictures posted of the new batch of lambs but we had one event by an awesome ewe I wanted to tell about.  We had a lamb that was born with weak pasterns which basically means the ligaments and tendons that join the hoof to the leg wasn't hardened as it should be when they are born so the lamb is walking on the front hooves and the lower portion of the leg.

We don't mess with our lambs until they are a couple of days old so we didn't know she had a problem and only realized it after we observed the mom behaving strange.  The lamb would try to lay down and the ewe would hook her leg over or under her and force her to stand.  She would also only let the lamb stand still for short periods and then would take and push the lamb with her head.  In the picture you can see her left leg bent as she was forcing the lamb to stay on her feet.

We went and got some meds to give the lamb a shot but by the start of the next day, the lamb was just about back to normal and the pasterns were firming up. We told our vet about her behavior and he said that ewe keeping her on her feet is what made her heal so fast and normally.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Ewe helping her lamb
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »
Wow....sheep are good doctors.....nature is amazing! Thanks for sharing, MikeM

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
Wow! What an amazing story. She is one smart and beautiful ewe. Her instincts has given her sweet little lamb a good start.

Thanks Mike. I always enjoy hearing and seeing what is going on with your flock.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:45:37 PM by Maggie13 »
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »
Thanks.  I have been around sheep a long time but I haven't seen this one before.  The ewes dam is also pretty smart which is why we have her.  She was on a farm that only had electric fence and she figured out that if she ran through the wire it would only hurt for a second.  They couldn't keep her in and offered her to us for a good price since we have solid fencing.  :)

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:17:10 PM »
That's a wonderful story Mike.   I see by the picture that she is not only smart, but beautiful as well  :) :)  Isn't it inspiring how animals "know" how to do such things.  Our Creator is so amazing.  :)
Central Mississippi

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
Love this story. I didn't know all of that and she is most beautiful too.

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
Thank you.  The lamb is getting around like she never had a problem.  All of the current batch of lambs are on the creep feeder free choice and they are getting big fast.

Online Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:40:51 PM »
Mike,

Are all your babies born by now? All us fans of this thread are needing an update!!

How about the guardians? We haven't seen any pictures of them lately either.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
We were having a battle with parasites when it became our normal breeding time so we split all of the ewes into two groups and put the bigger group in a dry lot to make making sure they were clean easier before breeding them.  The first eight have lambed with 8 ram lambs and 6 ewe lambs.  The next group of 12 won't be lambing for another month or so.

We worked the lambs a couple of days ago and they are growing like weeds. On average they are gaining .7 pounds a day on milk and that should jump to a pound a day since we put out the creep feeder over the weekend.  I'll grab a couple of pictures when I go down to feed.

A quick tale of people not thinking before acting. 

I was down feeding the sheep in the nursery paddock yesterday morning when I heard our dogs with the other sheep raising hell. I went up and saw a power line crew of 6 men inside the perimeter fence and crossing the electric netting inside the paddock to check out a power line pole. We knew they were coming out but I expected them to let me know they were there before they went into a paddock that had two 100# pound dogs that obviously didn't want want them there. One of the not so smart workers had a big piece of cloth on a stick and was slamming it down trying to drive our Akbash off but it was literally infuriating the dog. The more the idiot slammed that cloth down the more Thor was enraged. By the time I got close enough to call him off the dog was lunging at the guy trying to get him and my calling him off wasn't working. Finally, the guy in charge heard me yelling at them to get out and he got his guys out. He finally had enough sense to back off and fell back over the electric fence. I went in with them so they could finish up their work but they have no idea how close they came to being mauled. Thor has no fear of anything so I guess we were all lucky. Teresa called the power company and talked to the manager since it was obvious their people had no idea how these dogs react.

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
Here is a picture I took of Thor the other day.  The other is when Maisy ad adopted him and Thor was 3 1/2 months old.

Online Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the update, Mike. The power worker is lucky his boss got him out of there when he did. Dogs with protective instincts can inflict sever damage. Hopefully in the future they will be more careful. By the way, both of the dogs are gorgeous!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
MikeM....cannot believe someone would keep at such a big dog....can we say "dumb as a post?"  Your dogs are beautiful!!

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
Agree with Rabbitproof. They are gorgeous !!!   Those kind of folks are the first to call a lawyer too.. No responsibility for their own actions..   I've had them cut a chain on a fence gate in the wrong place  to "unlock" it.......
Central Mississippi

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 04:43:32 AM »
You would think they would have some "Training" about dealing with a guard dog.They are on private property often enough working on the power lines  to be aware of WHY they are in the fenced area.
Would he have done the "stick banging" thing if it was a German Shepard or a Rottweiler or a pit bull on guard in someones yard?.

You should be proud of Thor He didn't bite the fool he handled himself properly. Barking even lunging letting the dumba** know to BACK OFF. You do not belong here.
You can't fix stupid.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107