Author Topic: Scary scenario  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Scary scenario
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »
Article from Fox News:

A decline in insect populations happening across the planet has Earth’s ecosystems and humankind facing catastrophic consequences.

The sobering message has emerged from a comprehensive review of 73 historical reports on insect population declines which found the rate of extinction is eight times faster than vertebrates such as mammals, birds and reptiles.

More than a third of the world’s insects are threatened with extinction in the next few decades.

“Our work reveals dramatic rates of decline that may lead to the extinction of 40 percent of the world’s insect species over the next few decades,” researchers wrote.

They found evidence for decline in all insect groups reviewed, but said it was most pronounced for butterflies and moths, native bees, beetles and aquatic insects such as dragonflies.

“From our compilation of published scientific reports, we estimate the current proportion of insect species in decline (41 percent) to be twice as high as that of vertebrates, and the pace of local species extinction (10 percent) eight times higher, confirming previous findings,” they wrote.

The report highlights the ongoing loss of biodiversity as environmental degradation, pollution, over hunting, habitat loss and climate change deplete animal populations to worrying levels.

Humans have wiped out about 60 percent of the planet’s animal life since 1970, according to the latest Living Planet Index.

Due to the high level off species loss, Earth is considered to have entered into its sixth mass extinction event in half-a-billion years as conservationists warn that more needs to be done to protect our environmental systems.

The review of declining insect populations was conducted by Dr. Francisco Sánchez-Bayo from the University of Sydney and Kris Wyckhuys from the University of Queensland, and published online this month in the journal Biological Conservation.

Dr. Sánchez-Bayo could not be reached for comment but speaking to The Guardian, he said the stakes were seriously high.

“If insect species losses cannot be halted, this will have catastrophic consequences for both the planet’s ecosystems and for the survival of mankind,” he said.

Insects are considered vital to many of nature’s ecosystems for the productive role they play, particularly in controlling populations of other organisms.

They maintain soil structure and fertility, pollinate plants and control insect and plant pests. Many insects feed on dead animals and fallen trees, thereby recycling nutrients back into the soil.

Various insects are also a common food source for larger animals. “If this food source is taken away, all these animals starve to death,” Dr. Sánchez-Bayo said.

The pair of researchers set out to “systematically assess the underlying drivers” of the drop in insect populations.

The main driver behind the decline, they found, was habitat loss due to intensive agriculture and urbanization.

They also pointed to the growing use of pollutants, mainly synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, as well as the impact of invasive species and climate change.

“Unless we change our ways of producing food, insects as a whole will go down the path of extinction in a few decades,” the report said. “The repercussions this will have for the planet’s ecosystems are catastrophic to say the least.”

Conservation and biodiversity groups have called on the more careful use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers in agriculture to address the problem.

“A rethinking of current agricultural practices, in particular a serious reduction in pesticide usage and its substitution with more sustainable, ecologically-based practices, is urgently needed to slow or reverse current trends, allow the recovery of declining insect populations and safeguard the vital ecosystem services they provide,” the report said.

This story originally appeared in news.com.au.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Scary scenario
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »
I will slip my tin foil hat on ::)

I am not sure if this was someone who sits inside all day in a laboratory but here in the real world, we have seen an increase in nearly everything. We have more bugs, wasps, bees, and different types of insects than we have ever had. Closer to the pond, we have more dragonflies than ever at certain times of year.

When I was young, we never saw bald eagles and now we have mating pairs all around us. So many hawks, ospreys and other birds of prey too. This sounds like someone with an agenda to me.

Right now my yard looks like a crawfish farm with all of the mud huts they have built. Last year, we saw so many hummingbirds of different varieties it was unreal. I am sure that in different places there are different results but here all is well. We have lots of agriculture around us but land is being cleared all the time and new houses are going up. I guess it is a sign of the times. I'll go ahead and slip my tin foil hat off now ;)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
Double B----Yay!!...hope you are right. I saw only 2 honeybees and one bumblebee last yr....worried me, as I usually see more, even tho there has been a steady decline for the past number of years. I saw no dragonflies, and I used to see lots of those,too. I grow organically, so at least I myself am doing nothing to kill them. There has been more development of land in our area so maybe that alone is the cause....????

Offline DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »
Double B, I'm looking for my tin hat too. ;D Possibly the insects have heard about your place and mine, and have all come to visit us. ;D  The key word in your post was agenda.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
DB...Ha ;D, 90% of what we hear today is definitely some entity's "agenda"....go with your eyeballs is my take on it,too. I will definitely plant some tasty things to the bees this year,tho, in my garden....they are really missed here.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Rabbitproof,

My neighbor down the road with the greenhouse starts our spring seeds for tomatoes and peppers but also plants seed starts of milkweed. This dramatically helps the Monarch butterflies. I don't know if they migrate where you are at but they are making a super come back here.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
Double B....we are not on the migration route. Have not seen a Monarch since I left Ms. ....have missed them a lot!  The truly weird thing is that I have not seen hardly any bad insects either....stinkbugs, mexican bean beetles,etc...strange!!  I used to have beneficial brachonid wasps galore, wasps, butterflies, bees, ladybugs,etc. I never use pesticides, herbicides, and use only manure or mushroom compost and worm castings. What the heck is going on? Has been steadily noticeable decline now for about maybe 6-7 years....slow decline until this past year was really shocking. Now just because I am organic does not mean that my neighbors are....they could be using tons of pesticides....don't know. I am in a subdivision on a long road with lots of subdivisions but also some planted fields. Well, this year I am going to make a concerted effort to attract some beneficials. Am thinking of planting a plot of native wildflowers near my garden....got to try to do something.

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
I don't doubt the validity of that info.  My own eyeball test tells me that the deer and turkeys have disappeared from my once rural community as every wooded lot and overgrown pasture has been converted into subdivisions.  We have all noticed that there aren't as many bees around as there once was.  People keep spreading out and the wild places are fewer and fewer.  Simple logic will tell you, if you take away the places that critters live, there will be less critters.
Watson La. 8B

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »
This year, I'm trying to add more flowers to my garden and surrounding area too and trying to attract more beneficial insects and birds to the garden / house.  Last year, I got luck with a reduction in stink bugs.  For the bees, right now I'm leaving the bolting mustard, radish, lettuce, bok choy, or broccoli plants, at least until I need the area here in a couple weeks.  I don't need the seeds but the bees are welcome to any pollen they can get.  They help me out with peaches so I'll try and help them. 

I don't understand the need for stink bugs, weevils, or mosquitoes.  There can not be an ecological reason for them.   
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
a lot of this stuff is coming from overseas.. the bees get a mite and the mite was bought in here from somewhere else.. come to think of it honey bees aren't native here either.. seeing something called kudzu bugs they are new.. well kudzu was brought in too..

I don't know if we will figure out exactly what is causing the increase in diseases, of things that once were rare.. but i like many others wonder about the GMO crops, the round up chemicals, and other poisons we are using now days... I feel we as gardeners may well hold the answer to our own health in our gardens.. 
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
What Whiskeydog said... :-\ :-\ :-\
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
I bet the final interpretation of this "story" will be a $200 billion a year tax of western economies while the most polluting "growing" economies like China, Russia and India are given a 30 year waiver.  Of course they produce more pollution in a year than we did in a decade and we have significantly reduced our pollution output,  but the west will be paying the bill for something that will not be changed if it even can or needs to be changed.  Climate Change, $200 billion a year tax on western economies.  The 3 major polluters of all time like China, India and Russia?  Waivered. 

While being recruited to attend LSU in 1969 as a chemistry major the head of the Science Dept. told us at the recruiting seminar that by the year 2000 there would be no more fossil fuels left in the world, we would be well into the beginnings of a new "Ice Age" and that the ice caps would be melted because carbon dust settling in the northern and southern regions of the planet was causing increased solar radiation adsorption making the ice melt despite the new ice age.  So.  Pardon me while I go about my life and disregard the outrageous cries of the agenda driven money grubbers in governmental positions.  The only extinction threat on this planet is "Nuclear Weapons" and "Nuclear Energy".  Nuclear weapons because people in government are too arrogant and stupid to be in control such power and Nuclear power because that is too powerful of a Genie to try and keep bottled up when money grubbing private corporations are squeezing everything tight to make an extra buck.  3 Mile Island was lack of Preventative Maintenance of the back up coolant pump.  Had it been tested and maintained as per directives it would have run instead of fried when they turned it on.  Fukashima Daiichi was the 4 "P's."  Piss, Poor, Prior Planning.  You build a Nuke plant in an earthquake and Tsunami area without enough foresight to NOT keep you nuclear waste rods at or below sea level on the coast. 
  BTW,  I am in favor of Nuke Weapons only because now that they are here,  they are here to stay.  You cannot uninvent a match.  Second I like Nuclear Power,  but the love of money at the cost of safety should be punished by jail time or charges of murder when someone is threatened by these radioactive behemoths.  The trouble is that the only people that can hold their feet to the fire are those same mostly moronic government types that cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons. 
  I am 67 years old and so far I was supposed to be wiped out by Russia in the Cuban Missile Crisis "Cold War."  The the Ice Age, Rising Oceans by 2000 according to Gore, Acid rain of the 1970s and 80s, which they found out was non existent, but instead by preventing forest fires completely there was no alkaline run off to neutralize the natural acid formation in lakes and such.  Need I go on?
  Sorry for the rant.  I am waiting for the first threat of a computer virus morphing into a human virus that threatens all human life.  I bet though it could be fixed for a $200 billion a year tax on the western economies. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:12:12 PM by tbird »
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
True, Tbird.... :( :( :(

Offline Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »
Do ya'll think the chigger is in danger. If so what will that do to the economy
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
Do ya'll think the chigger is in danger. If so what will that do to the economy

Nothing terrible like red bugs, skeeters, ticks or cockroaches ever has the good manners to go extinct.
Watson La. 8B

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 03:36:16 AM »
Mr Bird , it  is good to read your  above post.
That is how I feel about it too, but could not have said it as well as you did.
Our "officials" seem to think  MORE TAX MONEY will fix anything .
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:04:47 AM by crazyhorse »

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 07:43:28 AM »
Tbird,

You forgot Y2K. Remember when the world was going to end. Millions bought new computers and generators because the power grid was going to fail. Just one more time to keep your tin foil hat near. If there isn't a natural disaster to take advantage of then create your own.

This may be a topic that needs its own thread but I have watched more television the past few months that maybe my whole life because of all the rainy miserable weather. We have Netflix and there are tons of documentaries on there. But......each one has its own agenda. Other than the new one chronicling the life of Billy Graham (definitely worth watching), the cows are ruining the planet, you should only eat a plant based diet, and so many others. I get a bang out of watching them because while some make sense, others are a complete joke. Just my $.02 for the day!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »
Double B----I cancelled Netflix because of all the far left documentaries. I am not a movie lover, so I just watched the documentaries on there.Well, it got so bad and made me so mad that I just finally cancelled it. It is just one big pile of propaganda....so disgusting!! The brain washing of America makes me ill!! >:(

Offline Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
The traffic was terrible, pollution was getting worse, the odor was absolutely getting unbearable, accidents at every turn. Doomsday oh what to do, Julius Caesar got tired of stepping in it so he banned traffic coming into Rome.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
And then, Rome fell....ha, lack of tourism!!