Author Topic: January 2019 Lambing  (Read 101 times)

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
January 2019 Lambing
« on: February 12, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
I thought I had posted some lamb pictures but since I didn't I'll post some here.  We had 8 ewes in the lambing pen and had two that delivered big singles and the other 6 had twins For a total of 8 rams and 6 ewes.  The other 12 are due in another month and like I mentioned in the other thread, lambing got delayed while we were trying to get our parasite load under control.   We culled heavy in late summer and went from 45 down to 20 breeders.

The pictures around the creep feeder were taken this afternoon.  The black lamb in one of the pictures is the one that had the weak pasterns and she is perfectly normal now.

The last picture of the little ewe is one of the ewes that we had a hard time getting them gone which is why she is smaller than the others but she will catch up in the next months.  She has had so much handling that she is more pet like than the rest even though none of them are on the wild side any longer.  We got her from a dry lot situation which the sellers didn't divulge but we found out from another source.  As a result her immune system wasn't as strong as it should be so she just about got eat up with Barber Pole worms. We have tested fecal samples on her 3 times in the last month and she is well under acceptable range.  She is a sweetheart so we will take the time to make sure she stays healthy.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: January 2019 Lambing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »
I am sorry to hear about all of the parasite troubles but it sounds like you got it handled in time. The lambs are beautiful and I hope the rest that are due next month are as happy and healthy as these. Thank you for letting us ride along on this journey with you.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
MikeM----all so cute and so fortunate to have you taking such good care of them!!

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »
We can actually walk out in the fields today without wearing Muck boots. The lambs are growing like weeds and a couple of the bigger ones are having a bit of trouble getting their heads into the creep feeder. They have just about ran out of grass in the paddock they are in so if I'm going to be outside for awhile I just open a gate and let them out on the "lawn" around the house. If they start getting too far away I can usually get them back in by just walking down toward the shop.

I wish our cows were as easy to move around.  :)

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
They got in some pretty lush grass below the house and got so excited they almost broke into a trot to get as much as they could.  To get them back under control I had to get Lance to turn them back and then to hold them in the yard.  I let them eat for around 20 minutes and wanting to have a bunch of scours tomorrow I put them back in where they just lay down in the shade of a tree.  As much as the sheep trust me they want nothing to do with that wolf like creature stalking around them.  :)

Holding sheep isn't a job that Lance likes at all as he would rather be pushing them on a drive. :)

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »
Thanks Mike! I always enjoy seeing pictures of your homestead your sheep and your dogs. I can see a little cartoon bubble over Lance saying "Go ahead make my day and take off running. I dare you"
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 06:45:41 AM »
MikeM.....They have really grown, and as Maggie indicated , Lance is just itchin"!!

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 06:51:00 AM »
Lance is so intense he will start shaking if I don't tell him to go one way or the other.  He has so much natural talent that I always feel guilty that he hasn't gotten enough work to let him reach his potential.  We originally got our first couple of sheep to let the dogs work but then it changed to the point that the sheep became the reason for everything. :)

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 07:01:20 AM »
Such an amazing and intense inner drive in those dogs....and always so fascinating to watch.