Author Topic: Gumbo onions  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Christinajomd

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Gumbo onions
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »
I have a small amount of gumbo onions left over from planting. I've got enough for two people. They are white, oblong, and you can harvest the greens or bulbs through the year.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: Gumbo onions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
Christinajomd, I would be interested in some. Let me know if they are still available. I would ne glad to pay for them and postage. I have never heard of gumbo onions. Do they have another name?
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »
www.masterofhort.com

Daniel,

Try this link and although it is a type of shallot, it seems very sought after by those who know them. You'll have to go to the search box and type in "gumbo onions" and it will give you some information about them.

Double B
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:37:43 AM by Double B »
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
Those onions look similar to white shallots that I grow.  These may get a little bigger around, the shallots would have started to bulb by that size.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »
Thanks Double D for that link, that's the kind of Green onions that most of us in my are grow, depending on the  amount of fertilizer, some grow to the size of my thumb,never knew the name other than Green Onions,   

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Christinajomd

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:14:43 AM »
Hi Daniel,
They originally came from Louisiana, and brought to Texas. I don't know them by another name.
Just send your address and I'll get them to you!

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »
Double B, I could not get the search box to work. You may have to be a subscriber. I tried to subscribe and that did not work either. When I Googled Gumbo Onions the article you mentioned popped up. It was an interesting article and a good example of how a cultivar can be saved by an individual and a family. I am sure there are other varieties of vegetables that have faded out of popularity and are only found in a family or small region. Your green velvet okra is one. I have see that on eBay but I am not sure it is the same as you grow. At least it did not look the same. I am always amazed at the wealth and depth of information of the members on this site. Also the information about varieties of veggies rarely found in catalogs but are top producers.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 05:54:16 AM »
If you still have a few left I would be interested in trying to grow them. I will PM you my address.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 06:51:11 AM »
My Green onions are not ready to harvest/Save for seed just yet, when I do, I will offer some for seed, no one has ever told me they are Gumbo onions, all I know it they look just like the Picture in that Blog, The Bulb when u dig some is the size of my thumb, we have just always called them Green Onions, I may be wrong, but i think the Green onion & Shallots name goes by what area of the country U are in, when U buy Green onions at the Gro. store, they are not much bigger than a Pencil,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
Double B, I could not get the search box to work. You may have to be a subscriber. I tried to subscribe and that did not work either. When I Googled Gumbo Onions the article you mentioned popped up. It was an interesting article and a good example of how a cultivar can be saved by an individual and a family. I am sure there are other varieties of vegetables that have faded out of popularity and are only found in a family or small region. Your green velvet okra is one. I have see that on eBay but I am not sure it is the same as you grow. At least it did not look the same. I am always amazed at the wealth and depth of information of the members on this site. Also the information about varieties of veggies rarely found in catalogs but are top producers.

Daniel,

That is why it is so important to share seeds, cuttings and such. I commend not only Christina's generosity but willingness to keep a species thriving. Similar to my green velvet okra. If I had not shared it, it could have been lost to me. I have quite a few local friends that I have shared it with and we all try to save some seed. That way if we have a failure, someone else would have fresh seed. I keep some vacuum sealed and frozen just as a last resort.

This is as important as tips or trends in gardening. The people on this site make up the friendliest group of strangers I have ever been exposed to and I am thankful for all who share seeds and knowledge?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Christinajomd

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 02:19:07 PM »
Maggie,
You're the second one! Yes,send me your address and I'll get them to you!

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
Christinajomd I'm glad you made it back!!!

If Ya'll have a good season with these onions I'd like to try some next season.

Double B you're right on saving old varieties. I'm gonna put up an eggplant seed giveaway in few minutes so be on the look out for it.

Offline Christinajomd

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »
Thanks Rajun! Feels 😊

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
Maggie,
You're the second one! Yes,send me your address and I'll get them to you!

I sent you a PM and will let you know when they arrive.
Thanks again.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 03:43:26 AM »
They are here! Thank you so much I will get them planted today!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Lonnie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
Christina, my onions are growing very well!  Thanks again.