Author Topic: Canning Asparagus  (Read 278 times)

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Canning Asparagus
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
  The local grocery has some pretty darn nice Asparagus on sale for $0.98/lb. this week.  We are going to make a run and pick up around 15 lbs. or so and can them.  We eat salads every night with a myriad of veggies and asparagus is one of them.  We will pack them in pints and pressure can.  At the rate we use them we should get about 4 to 5 days to a pint.  This will give us a good supply for a while.  Come to think of it we may get 20 lbs.     ;D ;D ;D
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Canning Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:05:51 AM »
I have eaten commercially canned asparagus but never canned it myself. Do you add salt to yours and how long do you process it for in the canner for a pint?

We typically grill ours and sometimes bake it in the oven because we like it to still have a firm texture but I love asparagus and can eat it just about anyway imaginable. Stir frying pieces with other veggies is good too.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
They make delicious pickles too. Best bloody mary garnish ever.
Watson La. 8B

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
I have eaten commercially canned asparagus but never canned it myself. Do you add salt to yours and how long do you process it for in the canner for a pint?

We typically grill ours and sometimes bake it in the oven because we like it to still have a firm texture but I love asparagus and can eat it just about anyway imaginable. Stir frying pieces with other veggies is good too.
  When I can fresh asparagus I add 1/4 tsp. canning salt per pint.  They are placed in the jars vertically if in spears or just poured in then shaken and tapped down to remove excess space if I cut them into 1" pieces.   I process the jars at 10# for 30 minutes with pint jars and 40 minutes for quart jars.  This is with the jars being filled with boiling water after packing asparagus into them.  This method is often referred to as "Hot Pack."   I have eaten these two years after packing and they are excellent.  I have even put one or two dill seeds in a few jars to give them just hint of dill and it makes them even better in salad.   ;)

Barking Dogs Farm
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
Thanks tbird,

I am patiently watching the sales here so hope they will go on sale soon. So far, $1.98/ lb is as cheap as I have found. I grilled some a few days ago and it was excellent in flavor and it came from Mexico. It was very fresh.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »
  I usually can catch them once a year between $1.39 and $1.19/lb.  I'll but them then.  This year that unusual $0.99/lb blew me away.  Good quality too.  I first thought I might find old spears that were sent down from Illinois when Van Camp's met their quota and dumped the surplus down south.  Just my suspicious nature I guess.  ;D ;D ;D

Barking Dogs Farm
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »
Tbird,
I noticed that the local HEB grocery store had asparagus on sale for $.98/ lb so I stocked up. I have the first seven quarts about to go into the pressure canner and will post a picture later on. Thanks for the heads up.

Double B

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
Here's a picture of the first seven quarts. The canner is back on the stove going again.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
Another popular grocery store put their asparagus on sale for $.88/lb so I bought some more and pickled eight pints this morning. It has some fresh dill, mustard seed, dried cayenne peppers and canning salt. We will see how it tastes in a few weeks.