Author Topic: Sticker shock when looking for s used rifle!  (Read 348 times)

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Sticker shock when looking for s used rifle!
« on: March 09, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
It has been a few years since I bought my last gun, but you would think that the end of the world was coming with the prices of all guns.  I am looking for a deer rifle for a grandson, so I thought I could find a nice used gun, but most of the gun stores I have looked at either don't have any used guns or the guns are way above my budget.  Next best thing was to look for a military surplus gun an what used to be $90 is now $600! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Sticker shock when looking for s used rifle!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:38 PM »
Look for a Savage Axis. They go for 325ish new, and you can pick up a used one for a couple hundred bucks sometimes.
Savage doesn't make the most beautiful rifles in the world but because of their barrels and floating bolt head, they are just about all accurate. 
Good Luck!
Watson La. 8B

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »
Don't forget to check out Henry. They make reasonably priced guns.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:09:38 PM »
I let the shoe drop today and after much thought I bought a Ruger AR556 AR 15 in 5.56 caliber.   I also purchased a surplus Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev in 7.62 X 25 caliber semiautomatic handgun today.  My mother ask me why buy guns, an my reply is because I have wanted to buy both for a very long time, an I no longer am able to play with them I have plenty of grandkids that I can give the guns to.  They will be reminders of me long after I am gone. 
Boudin I looked at the Savage an the Remington models in that price range but shooting an AR is something different and ammo is cheap for that gun compared to those other rifles.  I checked to make sure that it was ok to hunt deer with a 5.56 in Michigan and it is so I have a son to hold the gun for his 12 year old son until he is old enough to handle that gun.   The pistol will go to. My grand daughters soon to be husband as he is one of my family. 
Miss Maggie I looked at Henry rifles too, but I decided to go the other route. I wished I had the brains to buy a truck load of military surplus guns when they were all under a hundred bucks. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:41:38 PM »
Not a bad move.  With the right ammo the .556 will kill deer and hogs all day long.  Also not a bad move cause I fear that we wont be able to purchase ARs for much longer.  I hope Im wrong.  Hope the kids enjoy their new boom sticks!
Watson La. 8B

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »
My favorite deer hunting rifles are AK-47s and AR-15s.  Why?  First of all I live and hunt in Louisiana,  I do not hunt open fields or power line passages. Most shots I get will be 65 yds or less through wooded, brushy and generally thick areas.  I also will hunt in awful winter weather.  That being said let's look at the weapons.  I am not going to subject my Remington 700BDL 30.06 or Savage 110 .308 to those conditions.  Will it hurt the guns?  I doubt it,  but I do not like exposing fine firearms to inclement conditions.  Second is I do not need a 30.06 or .308 for 65 yd. shots.  In fact I do not need those for shots that the AK and AR are excellent at.  An AK round, 7.62X39, is the ballistic equivalent of the 30-30. I would not trust an AK on deer at more than 165 yds. to safely and surely kill,  but I have never had a shot in LA over 100 yds and that was once.  As for the AR?  The 5.56 has great accuracy to about 400 yds. in the hands of a trained shooter which I hope most hunters are,  but the light weight loses energy  so anything over 200 yds. on deer I would pass on as a 100% kill.   Then again I am talking ranges beyond the very possibility of where I hunt. Then I will say often I move around while hunting and that means traversing thick, thorny, woods in rain, dew and plain muck.  Once again this environment is not firearm friendly for a nicely finished wood stocked highly blued rifle.  BTW,  those are the civilian rifles I like.  So I use the mil styles because they are made to be subjected to dust, dirt, water, rubbing, bumping, dropping, scraping and all the other bad things firearms do not like.  So in a mil style weapon I have, durability, accuracy, comfort, relatively light weight and more than adequate ballistics.
Now for the part that most people that do not favor military weapons realize.  A fine Weatherby, Valmet, Lapua or Sako is a beautiful, accurate and finely designed hunting weapon. There is no doubt about this.  Built to hunt animals.  Well,  I say the mil style weapons have a bit more hunting ability designed into them.  After all.  Those weapons were designed to hunt the smartest, wisest, must elusive and dangerous animal on Earth.  Man.  That being said,  deer, hogs, or any other animal within their range is ideal for their hunting use.  Oh yeah,  and their value seems to increase each year.   ;)
 JMHO.
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 01:46:11 AM »
Thanks Tbird.  I called my son and ask his permission to give his son the AR before I bought it, and his 12 year old son has already taken 2 deer with his father at his side.  This past season they both harvested 8 point bucks, but my grandson has braging rights because his buck was clearly bigger than his dads.  I am making good memoirs for my family as you know I am dying from my cancer.  Every time my grandson picks up that rifle he will remember me.  You are right about taking expensive guns into the woods.  My kids all live in Michigan and hunt there an while there are no snakes or gators to worry about there are cedar swamps, and hardwood forest to hunt.
One of the memoirs I have given my family  was shooting a machine gun at a local indoor gun range.  Eight sons and grandsons and one daughter in law have shot either a scar or a saw military machine gun an they come out of the range with the biggest smiles!  This grandson was to shy or whatever to shoot the day his dad shot the gun but he has since agreed to shoot one of those guns.  I have five more males that have a go when they come to visit.  It is all about giving my family good memories of me. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »
I bought the 45 long colt Henry big boy for that same reason to hand down after I am gone. I would love to have the 22 Henry as well because of the price of the 45 long colt ammo. Guess I will have to settle for the Stephens 22 I have for now. It shoots very accurate and is in good condition anyway. If I shot a lot. I would invest in reloading the 45's myself. I would like to have an old rifle such as a Mosin Nagant or similar Mil-Surp to restore. I have seen them in crates coated in cosmoline in the gun stores around here for a little over $100 bucks now you cant hardly find one under $350 even higher if they are in real good condition.
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator, push planter, fertilize spreader and numerous manual labor tools

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »
Today my son in law bought in a M-1 Grarand. got it for work putting in a hardwood floor..
I've always wanted one since Navy boot, I lived with one for 3 months back then..
Today is the first time I ever fired one.. His is in great shape been reworked..

Well all the Navy did was teach me how to exercise with it, 16 count manual, then 32 count then 64 count, since I have forgotten how it went.. I guess I don't really need one as bad as the prices I saw..  I have an old exercise bike I try to avoid already..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:49 AM »
I looked at that rifle, but chose a Ruger 556 as it is totally made in the USA,  in north or south Carolina and just about all of the parts were made and labeled Ruger.  I paid about $125 more but I always prefer Made in USA.  https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-556-nato-161-barrel-30-rounds?a=1815207.   I had some family visit this past weekend an we ran a couple hundred rounds through the rifle, an my daughter an grand daughter enjoyed shooting an AR.   I am going to buy a few traser rounds before my next visitors come so we can have a little entertainment. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill