Author Topic: Fire Ants in my Irish Potatoes  (Read 322 times)

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Fire Ants in my Irish Potatoes
« on: May 14, 2019, 06:20:37 PM »
My Red potatoes are about ready to dig, checked 2 different place and had fire ants in each location, what can i use to kill the ants and not harm my potatoes? I thought about 20 Mule Borax, I see a couple ways to use it on U Tube, Have any of U every tried this, If so what Mix did U use, Liquid or dry? What else can i Safely use?

My Potatoes are in raised beds, I guess with all the rain they like the raised beds in place of the wet yard, Thanks for what ever U have to share

Rat

PS: My Kennebec Potatoes show no sign of shutting down yet, they were planted the same day as the Red La Soda were planted, looks like I have a nice crop of the Red potatoes,
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Ants in my Irish Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
  You can spread diatomaceous earth liberally on top of the surface where the ant hills are and work some of it gently into the surface.  IF you can find "Organic One" ant killer you can use that.  It is a mix of Pyrethrum (African daisy flowers that are dried and powdered) and diatomaceous earth.  That will kill them outright with no harm to humans or pets.  I have used it for over 10 years around my gardens, in the house and around my fruit trees.  Read about pyrethrum.  Interesting natural insecticide.  Safely works fast and sure.
  Make sure the product that you use containing pyrethrum does not contain Piperonyl Butoxide.  It is a synergist that is added to most insecticides to make them more effective,.  It is often said to be a toxin but in fact it just enhances the effectiveness of the toxin it is paired with.  It is however not good for humans and only safe for mild application externally to pets.  It is often added to flea and tick solutions for bathing pets.
  Pyrethrin is a synthetically created chemical similar to Pyrethrum that is more toxic and doesn't breakdown as easily as pyrethrum.  I shy away from using that at all.

God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »
Thanks T, That's Just the info I was looking for, I know Root crops like this really take up a lot of stuff from the soil, I know of a case where something was sprayed on Irish Potatoes vines for bugs, when they tried cooking the Potatoes they smelled just like the poison mix, I don't remember was it was, It was not recommend for garden use

Thanks again T, Glad to see U back,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
When I first moved up here from New Orleans Rat I had to plant my fruit trees on mounds so they would not get "root rot" in the wet winters. Well anything above the low spots means ants move in after every rain.  I had to find something that you could put on the hills that would not be picked up into the fruit.  That meant, AMDRO, Spectracide and other similar ant killers were not going to cut it.  I researched and found this stuff I get at Steven's Tractor in Coushatta, LA called "Organic One Ant Killer" was just the ticket.  Works good for any insects.  Safe to use around people and pets and no uptake by plants.  Just the ticket.  I used it in the garden on potatoes, around okra, tomatoes as a dust for aphids, carrots, lemon trees, peach, apricot and pecan trees as well as in blueberry pots.  Great stuff.
  Good to be back Rat!   ;D
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast