Author Topic: Reasons for Growing Tobacco  (Read 124 times)

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Reasons for Growing Tobacco
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
Tobacco is a plant that is more useful around the farm or garden than lots of others.  The obvious use is to smoke for people that like smoking but there are other less unhealthy uses that are down right useful and effective.  The following is a list I know of and I am sure there are other uses I am not aware of.

1) Dried tobacco leaves can be powdered and about a teaspoon of the dust spread in the area where your chickens take their "dust baths/"  The powdered tobacco will help rid the chickens of skin mites and other parasitic insects that infect the flock.  About once a month you shoyld add another teaspon to the dust bath area.

2) The dried tobacco leaves can be boiled and the tobacco water added to homemade insect sprays with soap, garlic oil and other natural additives to increase the effectiveness of the insecticides.  Also the tobacco water can be sprayed on Rose bush leaves to help fend off Black Spot, a common rose bush ailment.  Tobacco water can be sprayed on the grass in an area where people will gather outside to reduce mosquito presence. The spray will also  greatly reduce the tick and chigger population. I only stress DO NOT get the liquid on your skin.  Tobacco contains nicotine and nicotine is a vascular constrictor.  Nicotine is also adsorbed through the skin,  Now I do not think the boiled tobacco water will hurt you in such a weak solution, but people that do not smoke could become a bit light headed or even nauseated from the nicotine. Smokers would not notice this due to their tolerance to the nicotine.  Just for the general info here I will say that one drop of pure nicotine on a human's skin will kill them.  Yes one single drop.
3) Anyone that has grown tobacco can tell you it is a beautiful plant to grow.  My mom grew one I gave her as a Mother's Day plant.  She loved it. A good friend's wife grew another I gave her and she thought it was amazing.  It does grow large with a stem over 1" and as large as 2" as well as 6' to 9' tall.  The large thick green leaves are amazing. Tobacco is in the Nightshade family with Tomatoes, Potatoes and Eggplants so they should be treated the same. As a potted plant you should not use a pot smaller than 5 gallons and 10 would be better of a rich loamy soil.

These are a few uses for tobacco outside of smoking.  The plant itself though makes for an interesting garden addition. 

I will follow this post up on "How to Grow Tobacco" soon.
  God bless and keep you all.
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for Growing Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:17:33 PM »
tbird....thanks for such interesting info!

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 07:34:49 AM »
I still have a gallon jar of the dried leaves and will add some to the chicken dust bath Thanks T-Bird I learned something new today.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
I'm stuck at, "one drop of pure nicotine on a human's skin will kill them..." :o

WOW!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
Nicotine in a very strong vascular constrictor and will shut down capillaries and small blood vessels.  Generally that mans organs shut down quick.  I learned about nicotine from my grand father who was a champion rose breeder.  He warned me about concentrates that professional rose breeders used for treating black spot.  As I got older I checked and found it almost as deadly as Aniline.  Aniline is another contact poison adsorbed through the skin. 

Sometimes you never know just how dangerous something is.
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
I like to plant a few tobacco plants on the edge of the garden... its a good tomato horn worm catch crop..  I don't  mind the worms eating the tobacco, instead of the tomatoes.
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 09:34:06 PM »
When I lived in Biloxi in the late 70s, it was legal to deer hunt with poison-tipped arrows. The theory was that many deer were being hit and not recovered, so by adding a poison to the arrow tip, even a poorly placed shot would bring the animal down in short order where it could be counted against the bag limit. The poison that I remember being used was nicotine! It was placed between the arrow shaft and the broadhead. Upon impact, the capsule would be crushed releasing the poison.

I can not speak to its effectiveness as I have never used them.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!