Author Topic: Any pilots in here?  (Read 49 times)

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Any pilots in here?
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Well, this is about as far off topic as you can get, but do we have any pilots in the house?
I've always been fascinated by aviation, but have never had the money to consider taking lessons or getting my license until now.  My wife knows this has always been a dream of mine and has been encouraging me to do it.  I've been researching flight schools and have one near home that looks like it may fit the bill.
I'm close to signing up for ground school.  I haven't felt this nervous / excited about a new endeavor in a long time.  Any of you folks who have been here, I'd love to hear about your experience or any advice you may have. 
Watson La. 8B

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Any pilots in here?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
I was an Air Traffic Controller in the Navy and retired at what was then NAS Millingrton, TN so it was easy and convenient to get my license using the Navy Flying Club there back in 1991.  I loved flying but haven't done so for many years.  If you are going to be able to afford to fly often enough to stay proficient, I would say go for it.  My job had me gone for weeks at a time so I was never able to fly more than a few hours a month.  That isn't enough to maintain the edge you need to have to keep flying safe.

The License process gets you to the point where you have all of the basics down but only flight time on a consistent basis makes you a better pilot.  The ideal thing would be if you had your own or possibly bought into a share with other pilots.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
Re: Any pilots in here?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 05:34:25 AM »
Whats the saying about flying? 

your having more fun than you ever had with your clothes on..   ;D ;D ;D

something like that..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.