Author Topic: Any pilots in here?  (Read 251 times)

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Any pilots in here?
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Well, this is about as far off topic as you can get, but do we have any pilots in the house?
I've always been fascinated by aviation, but have never had the money to consider taking lessons or getting my license until now.  My wife knows this has always been a dream of mine and has been encouraging me to do it.  I've been researching flight schools and have one near home that looks like it may fit the bill.
I'm close to signing up for ground school.  I haven't felt this nervous / excited about a new endeavor in a long time.  Any of you folks who have been here, I'd love to hear about your experience or any advice you may have. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Any pilots in here?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
I was an Air Traffic Controller in the Navy and retired at what was then NAS Millingrton, TN so it was easy and convenient to get my license using the Navy Flying Club there back in 1991.  I loved flying but haven't done so for many years.  If you are going to be able to afford to fly often enough to stay proficient, I would say go for it.  My job had me gone for weeks at a time so I was never able to fly more than a few hours a month.  That isn't enough to maintain the edge you need to have to keep flying safe.

The License process gets you to the point where you have all of the basics down but only flight time on a consistent basis makes you a better pilot.  The ideal thing would be if you had your own or possibly bought into a share with other pilots.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 05:34:25 AM »
Whats the saying about flying? 

your having more fun than you ever had with your clothes on..   ;D ;D ;D

something like that..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
Not a pilot but I understand the facination. Now knowing MikeM was Navy ATC I'm sure he understands far better than I the concept of Zulu time. My brother in law is a retired civilian ATC, and still works in the industry travelling  weekly across the USA working with local ATC on software updates. He and I suppose all in that business operate on Zulu time, an offshoot of sorts of military (24 format) time. As a retired trooper, we always operated in military time format for radio traffic, reports, scheduling and such.

To convert my local time (CDT) to Zulu time, it's 6:45 pm now, I first convert to military time, 1845, then I add 5 hours because I'm 5 time zones away from Greenwich Mean Time, so 1145 Zulu. My impression is Zulu time was created by/for folks who commonly travel across several times in the course of a day, pilots, mariners, ect.. Any of you former military that served oversees, did you operate on Zulu time?

Boudin, I see your 48, one thing to consider before pursuing flying is life insurance. Life insurance companies don't like amateur pilots, at all. You will have to answer quite a few questions regarding your plane, your experience,  ratings and such and will undoubtedly be" rated up" because of your hobby, it can get real expensive. If you buy life insurance first and get into flying later there's not a thing the insurance company do about it.

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:01:17 PM »
All the military communications are based on GMT but operations are conducted based on the time zone the unit is in.  In most cases that I have seen, both the GMT and local time were used in messages to avoid confusion.

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:30:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  My brother in law is a commercial airline pilot, and he has a 182.  His son is interested in a career in aviation, so we are talking about going in partners on a trainer like a Cherokee or something like that.  You can pick them up for a reasonable (in airplane dollars) amount of money. There's no doubt that it takes a pretty serious investment not only to get your license, but to stay current.  Whether you rent or buy, none of it is cheap. 
Good call about the life insurance.  I'm definitely going to have to consider a policy upgrade before I start this journey.

My brother in law took me up in the 182 the other day and I flew everything except the takeoff and approach.  All I've been able to think about since was getting back behind that yoke... lol.  I'm worse than a kid.
Watson La. 8B

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 07:59:55 PM »
Have your brother in law show you some of the maneuvers that you do during training and that will excite you even more.  :)