Author Topic: Boudin  (Read 218 times)

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Boudin
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
Okay I need some of you Cajuns on here to guide me on making Boudin. You would not believe some of the recipes I have run across but I saved every one of them and plan to use some of the ingredients. First off I do know if 'm correct that the main ingredients are pork, pork liver, rice, onion, and green onion. Where I'm really lacking is what spices to use and that's where I have read so many different ones from the recipes I have read. I know about fried Boudin balls but I want to use hog casings for now and on my first project I only plan on making 5-10 lbs.. I will also be making a small batch for my wife without the pork liver as she hates liver in any form. From what I've read Boudin is kinda like dirty rice and I love Zatarin's dirty rice because of the spices in it. Well thanks for any guidance and all advice is appreciated. I pray everyone has a blessed day.

JB
Retired in South Carolina.
Zone 8a

"Wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could".

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Boudin
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
Let me start by saying that I am an expert consumer of Boudin.....
Shockingly enough, I've never attempted to make any lol.  We have it easy down here, and can just run to the local meat shop and pick it up anytime we want.
My suggestion on spices would be just to make it easy on yourself and use your favorite creole seasoning.  I'm partial to Slap Ya Mama, but Tony's or any of the others should work fine.  You may consider adding a bit extra cayenne if you want to kick it up one more notch. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 04:06:09 PM »
I've made it several times and I'll try to get the recipe typed out tonight when I have more time. It's really simple but time consuming. FYI, boudin without liver is rice dressing.  I seriously doubt your wife will taste the liver if done correctly.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »
I might add that when making the Boudin/Dressing, Make it Taste like U Like it, before stuffing in in casing, the Dressing should be about like wet cement when ready to stuff, if not it will be to dry when finished,  Just My 2 cent,  Good Luck & let us Know how it goes

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
Well made my first batch of Boudin and let's just say it was edible and leave it there. LOL
I think the biggest mistake I made was not adding enough rice, and second was not enough spices added from what I have seen in videos on YouTube. I did not make it with pork liver because of the wife and I used my hands to mix the stuffing which without enough rice made the mixture kind of like mush. The next go around will have at least a cup of seasoning which I will make myself, more rice, more celery, and garlic cloves. Hope everyone has a blessed day and thanks for the comments.

JB
Zone 8a

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:57:29 AM »
I still haven't typed out a recipe but here's a good video explaining the process. This is how I make it and it comes out great. I blitz the chicken livers in a food processor, that makes it easy to blend in the mix.

You can cut up the pork butt to make it cook faster. Seasoning is a preference, make your own Cajun seasoning or use store bought. It's better to make your own so you can control the salt content. I use this as a basic seasoning mix.
2 tbs uniodized salt
2 tbs black pepper
1 tbs granulated onion
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tbs ground mustard
1 tbs Cayenne pepper
1 tbs dried parsley

Boudin is just a pork roast cooked then ground up so just cook the pork to your taste and then reseason before you stuff the casings.

Here's the video, ask if you have questions and I'll try to answer. Good Luck and let us know the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAIbQB0ek6Q

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Well made my first batch of Boudin and let's just say it was edible and leave it there. LOL
I think the biggest mistake I made was not adding enough rice, and second was not enough spices added from what I have seen in videos on YouTube. I did not make it with pork liver because of the wife and I used my hands to mix the stuffing which without enough rice made the mixture kind of like mush. The next go around will have at least a cup of seasoning which I will make myself, more rice, more celery, and garlic cloves. Hope everyone has a blessed day and thanks for the comments.

JB

I was typing as you posted.

I don't like the mush meat either so I cook to tender then run it through the grinder. Make sure you use medium grain rice and always reseason after mixing.

I have a bunch of recipes from a Cajun cooking group on Facebook I'll post just for kicks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:59:37 PM by Ragun Gardener »

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »
Here's a few to compare seasonings.

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »
Thank you sir, I copied each one and have them saved in my recipe file. I learned something different from each one and I also watched the video and subscribed. I really like learning new cooking techniques and the poor wife will have to wait to get more because I have 2 lbs. of pork liver and 2 Boston Butts in the freezer and at least one of them is screaming to be my next batch for me. Hope you have a great day.

JB
Zone 8a

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
See what you made me do? ;D

Results when I'm done.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 11:44:22 PM »
I love they give so much attention to my home town of Scott, The Boudin Capital of the World!!! Best Stop is the best if anyone was wondering:razz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acy22OziLCI

I made a seasoning mix, here's the amounts
All are TBS unless noted
2 salt
1 black pepper
1 white pepper
1 garlic
1 onion
2 parsley
2 cayenne
1 TSP celery
1 TSP mustard

other stuff

Pork cut into pieces and seasoned

those onions, green onions bottoms, just the white parts, 3 celery stalks and 1.5 of the bell peppers.

Brown the meat to get a good color for the gravy

blend the chicken liver

Add the veggies and start on the gravy

Add 1/3 cup of the seasoning mix and add the meat again to simmer and blend in the veggie flavors, probably 15 minutes

Remove the meat and add the liver, cook for about 10 minutes

Add the meat and water to the top of the meat, bring to a boil and then simmer till it's fork tender.

Sorry I didn't get pics of the whole grinding/mixing process.
Remove the meat when it's tender, let it cool enough to handle then use the biggest grinding plate you have and grind the meat. I mixed 5 cups of cooked rice with the meat, broth from the pot and green onions. You have to judge the broth, it needs to be a little soupy because the rice will absorb the gravy once it sits a while. This is when you taste and add more seasoning, I added another 2 TBS of cayenne and 1 TBS of the seasoning I mixed. Then it's time to stuff the Boudin. Here's one batch before boiling it to cook the casing.

Finished product, this is what you'll get in almost any country store here.

That was a long process to do alone but the reward is a quick delicious meal. To warm them I just boil the bags in water and they taste just like the day you made it. You can use it to stuff meat or veggies, make wraps, fried boudin balls or my favorite is smoked.
Here's everything except what me and the dog ate for supper. The ziplock bag will be smoked for fathers day and the rest is on standby.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
Rob,

You are a master in the kitchen!! That makes it hard for a guy to stay on his diet :o
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »
Ragun, that boudin looks delicious!
Arlie

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
Thank you Ragun. Looks good.

JB
Zone 8a

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »
Thanks!! It's JB's fault for bringing it up.

Brent, I hear you on the diet. I need to lose weight myself. Somehow it seems the older you get the lbs just add up. I don't know about a master but I resemble the remark about never trusting a skinny cook. ;D

I was lazy today thanks to the rain storm and started late on supper, I had the smoker going so I threw on some boudin, it came out delicious. Smoking it brings it to another level. It's killing me not to eat it all when I have stuffed pork chops and stuffed turkey wings still smoking.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Ragun, If It Taste as Good as It Looks U sure Have a Winner, Sure Looks GOOD, Thanks for Posting all those Boudin Recipes, I have saved them all to my Recipe File, I have a good friend the lives in Canada that makes Boudin, I sent the Link to him so He could Have a Look at all those Recipes

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass