Author Topic: This is my last big garden and here are my results of potatoes  (Read 525 times)

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
I don't have pics but bordercollie will vouch for my credibility and truthfulness.....first, no 30 lb cabbage this year and to honest about it, lucky to have cabbage at all...onions were decent but just would not cure due to their moisture content....some sat on wet ground for their entire growing after transplant....i never had to deal with rain like we had this spring....broc and cauliflower were busts,also....I expected the potatoes to rot and not do well either but i was very,very wrong....some of ya'll will have a hard time believing this, and normally i do have pics, just not this time, but i averaged 25.9 lbs of potatoes for every pound planted....first, the seed potatoes were the best that i have ever seen and i was able to use a single developing eye in some cases instead of two which made for more plants....at an average of 32 lbs per bucket for a fully round 5 gallon bucket, it figured up to 1280 lbs from a 50 lbs sack of seed potatoes....a few years ago, i had an average yield of slightly over 20 lbs per pound planted and i was happy with that, but this year was hard to believe....and with only a couple of rotted ones....i think i learned something about potatoes,too....we all know that potatoes require heavy fertilization, way more than what used to be called for.....i think, i repeat, "I THINK" we might ought to be watering them pretty heavy,also....i mean, DAMN, this spring was the wettest one of my lifetime....this is no joke, right cher in NW alabama, we went the ENTIRE MONTH OF FEBUARY without seeing the sun....we were actually blinded the first week in march went the sun came out because were used to the lowlight of so many cloudy days....

i am at the time in life that i can no longer look after this much garden, so next year i am gearing it down and will only grow enough for  the wife and me....by the way, since tomatoes and potatoes are in the same family of plants i mention this....these are the best looking tomatoes that i have ever had, not even close....no yellow leaves, no spots and absolutely LOADED.....now, i do have plastic down and carpet over the cut out area in the plastic to keep down the grass and cut out the ground splash on the lower leaves....this is my last hurrah on a lot of tomatoes and i have warned the old women to get it while they can this year because i am done.....i planted 190 tomatoes plants and they all seemed to start growing the second their roots touched dirt....

i still can't believe the spuds, though, and i only hilled them once.....mike
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: This is my last big garden and here are my results of potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
Good gracious....that is awesome potato production!! Tomatoes,too. Enjoy growing for just your wife and you....sure makes it a lot more fun not to have to work like a "mine mule"!

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 06:09:59 AM »
i had a 73 year old woman and an 82 year old man helping me dig their potatoes, both had either gardened or farmed most of their life, and each one of said it was unlike anything that they had seen in their lives....not many little ones either.....i figured thqt most of them would have rotten spots on them, but they were clean and pretty....i am guessing that the heavy fertilizer and the large amount of rain are responsible for them, but the seed potatoes were very,very good to go with that....i did nothing this year that i have not been doing for the last 3

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »
Yes indeed, Mike grows some of the finest plants I ever seen (in pictures) . I know he speaks the truth. Although , every year, he says he's gonna cut back  :)  :)  so he cuts back one plant so he won't be fibbing haha . He certainly has the touch of a master gardener and he and his wife work  hard to help folks in need of  not just food but spiritual help as well .
Central Mississippi

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
Congrats on that production!! That is incredible and what a return on investment.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
THANK YOU, Mike,
For that detailed report!

What fertilizer do you use on your potatoes, and, how much is "a lot"?
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »
THANK YOU, Mike,
For that detailed report!

What fertilizer do you use on your potatoes, and, how much is "a lot"?
13-13-13.....several years ago, a report came out (LSU or aTm, i forgot which) that determined that potatoes needed somewhere around 3 times the fertilizer that had been recommended in the past...a friend of mine read the same report and followed the report, and burned his potatoes up....so, i thought about it for a while and the next year, i added fertilizer around a month before i planted....i marked the rows with stakes so that i would know exactly where they were....when i planted, i added more fertilizer TO THE SIDE of the row and then opened up the row with the first fertilizer and planted the seed potatoes.....after they got to be 6-8 inches tall, i added a light dressing of 8-8-8 and then when i hilled them, i side dressed them with an equal mixture of 13-13-13 and ammonium nitrate....now, i added the nitrogen due to the extreme amount of rainfall that we had....it was just a hunch to do it....i only hilled them once, hell, i was lucky to even get to do that....i figured that most would be rotten but it turned out not to be the case...i would not recommend adding am. nitrate to potatoes under normal circumstances, but it worked this one year...so, i am thinking that maybe potatoes need more WATER with all of the extra fertilizer....i kid you not, this was some of the prettiest potatoes that you would ever see and some plants would have 5-6 BAKING SIZED potatoes along with the baseball/tennis ball size....i won't know until next year, but either i learned something or just got lucky as hell

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »
Thank you, Mike!

I might conduct a little experiment myself, with some container-grown potatoes.  I have several 25-gallon cattle mineral tubs I could use.  I'm even thinking of converting them to WICKING containers, so the plant can control the water uptake without me having to water, except to keep the reservoir filled. And, I could fertilize them differently for a comparison.  I LOVE garden experiments!

Did you start with certified seed potatoes?  If so, which variety did you plant?

Hugs!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:16:11 AM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 05:53:57 PM »
Thank you, Mike!

I might conduct a little experiment myself, with some container-grown potatoes.  I have several 25-gallon cattle mineral tubs I could use.  I'm even thinking of converting them to WICKING containers, so the plant can control the water uptake with me having to water, except to keep the reservoir filled. And, I could fertilize them differently for a comparison.  I LOVE garden experiments!

Did you start with certified seed potatoes?  If so, which variety did you plant?

Hugs!
yeah, i bought a 50 lb bag from the local hardware store and they were absolutely perfect seed potatoes....never saw any that good, so i was able to get more eyes to plant and that made a big difference,too.....also, i planted at 4 different locations in the garden and all four produced similar results....

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »
Thank you for the info Mike. Appreciate all you do for us.
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B