Author Topic: ambrosia vs. incredible corn challenge  (Read 143 times)

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
ambrosia vs. incredible corn challenge
« on: June 14, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
i grow incredible sweet corn and it is true to its name, it is incredible....i ate my first ear of ambrosia that a lady gave us after buying some from another gardener in the next county over from us.....i have to say that it is at least as good as incredible, with a slightly bigger ear...the one thing that i have against incredible is the small stalk....some stalks have 3 ears and a wind does bring them down fairly easily....anybody plant ambrosia so they can tell me about the stalk sturdiness?....i already know about the taste....it is really good corn
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: ambrosia vs. incredible corn challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »
I used to raise ambrosia but it's been a while. They had sturdy stocks but with the wind we get every year it is rare that any corn stands throughout the season.

FYI, I have moved away from ambrosia to bodacious and have always raised silver queen. We enjoy the silver queen to eat fresh and the bodacious for putting up in the freezer. It is by far the best corn I have ever had coming out of the freezer.

The Silver Queen is a 90-day corn whereas Bodacious is 75 day so we get it early, then switch over to silver queen while putting up the bodacious.

Then in a couple weeks we plant both again, keeping us in fresh corn all summer.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
i just got my first mess of my corn, incredible....after eating both the ambrosia and the incredible in a span of 4 days, the ambrosia is a better tasting corn.....i never thought i would say that there was a better tasting corn than incredible....much sweeter, and my wife agrees....my wife loves corn and can eat as much as the blue ribbon winning black angus at the county fair, so she qualifies as an expert ( women are experts at everydamnthing else)....ambrosia is the real deal
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
I raise Ambrosia and it comes on a tall stalk that is very sturdy. I raised Mirai for the last few years and it got rare and the white corn is no longer sold as seed corn, so I am happy to be back to Ambrosia.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder