Author Topic: ...another rookie question...  (Read 387 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
...another rookie question...
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »
I am basically a rookie in the corn growing business.   I had a good crop and was very pleased with all I planted.
My question is What to do with the stalks now?
I know I want to get them out of the garden ASAP and plant some PHP's in that spot.
Do I just mow the stalks with the bush hog and then till it all in....and then draw rows and plant?
Do I push them over with the FEL and then till it all in with the tiller....and then draw rows and plant?
Pull them all by hand and add to my "already massive" compost pile....and then draw rows and plant?
Thank you in advance to all who offer wisdom.
I have a Kubota 2501 with FEL, Land pride 52" tiller and Land pride 5' bush hog to do whatever I need to do.
ccat
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: ...another rookie question...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:37:30 AM »
i always mow them and turn them in, and plant peas most of the time
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:38:15 AM »
Thanks Champs.  That is what I was leaning towards but wanted to hear from the forum.
And as to your tomatoes post.........mine are really putting on.   My big beef are living up to their name and are now called HUGE beef.
Thanks
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
I just till my corn stalks in because I don't have a brush hog.  The tiller chews then pretty good but if I did have a BH I would mow them first.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
Thanks Champs.  That is what I was leaning towards but wanted to hear from the forum.
And as to your tomatoes post.........mine are really putting on.   My big beef are living up to their name and are now called HUGE beef.
Thanks
we have picked around 14 bushel and if you walked through them for the first time, you wouldn't even think that they have been picked...crazy.....i still have over 90 tomatoes that have not even produced a ripe one yet and are just loaded with green tomatoes...
cat, the seed are a bit pricey, but you really should try some dixie reds next year...this is my 3rd year raising them and they will beat big beef as far as a quality tomato, but big beef will produce a few more...i raise big beef, bella rosa(great canning tomato)dixie red, celebrity and i actually have open pollinated-non hybrid sioux, giant belgium and delicious doing well..... the best all around tomato is a big beef but the dixie red is one beautiful tomato and they grow big,too....i have picked a few that went over a pound and there is a multitude of them still green...crazy, because i usually just have an average, meh type tomato crop....not bad/not great type

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
You got it........I'll order some Dixie Red for next year.   Sounds like it will be worth the comparison to the Big Beef.
Thanks

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »
cat, i am  southwest of you in lamar county so there should be very little difference in growing conditions....i do have to tell you that i picked 6 buckets of the prettiest dixie reds this morning....you can't imagine tomatoes that looked like this....just about all were around a pound or more and just perfect, no bug bites, no blemishes, just stunning to look at....they are a determinate, so when they are done, ain't gonna' be no mo'....they are a pretty hardy tomato, also....thats the knock that i have against big beef, they will get  beat down with various diseases, although they will usually still do pretty well....i really don't know about dixie reds because they have never gotten any diseases before they finished producing!....now, you'll have to choke back the tears when you see the price of the seeds, but i i'll make you deal....if you ain't happy with them, i'll meet you in decatur at a place of your choosing( i know my way around there since i fished up there since i was 2) and i'll buy the seed that you have left, and pay for your lunch!....hows that for confidence?....i almost wrote that i'd kiss your ass and let you bring someone to video it, but we live too close to each other for me to be talking shit like that

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
Cnamps.....I will just take you up on the seeds but I bet what I buy will all go in the ground and produce.    Your word is good enough for me.
Decatur???  I have fished several Cat tournaments out of Ingals Harbor down there.   Fished the SeaArk there last month.
I hate that area for blues, and actually prefer Wilson but I love close to the Nuke Plant and can get there in about 11 minutes.
I don't grow many Determs and mains grow Indeterms, but like what you have posted about the Dixie Reds.
I hope this time next year I'll be posting good things about them.
And speaking of the big beef.....those in the pic I posted earlier became a TON of salsa (7 quarts and 7 pints) and THREE FULL 5 gallon buckets of diced we ran thru the food processor for canning.   My wife and I hit a wall from the Salsa and I put the 3 buckets in the refrig out in my shop for canning tomorrow.
I'll heat it all back up and jar them then.   Time for Live PD now.