Author Topic: Peacocks !!!  (Read 322 times)

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Peacocks !!!
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
 :) :) :) :)  We just were practically given 2-  1 year old peacocks. The lady said to leave them confined for up to 8 weeks or they may leave. So here they are in the open part of the cotton trailer converted to a chicken pen. Last chicken passed this spring of old age. The top is covered with wire and the door between the enclosed roosting area and the open area where the picture was taken, is open. They spend a lot of time on the covered side especially with the summer rains and now during the tropical rain this weekend. He's still a bit nervous after about 2 weeks but she is calming down really well.  They have molted and honk like a goose at times. Seem to be picky eaters- any thoughts on a good food ? :)  I have a picture but need to resize so will post later .    judy
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Peacocks !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
picture
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
Judy...they are so cute!!! I love to hear the peacocks...always reminds me of the Memphis zoo. Have no idea what they eat....??  Have fun with them....they get so beautiful when the feathers are fully matured....a site to see!

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
Thank you Rabbitproof . :)  They are really cute and calming down a good bit. I fed them a few figs earlier and the pea hen went right to work on 'em ,the peacock gave them the eye but held back.  :)  As soon as this rain stops, I'll put some hay in there for them to check out. :)  judy
Central Mississippi

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 04:22:04 AM »
I know they need a  high-protein diet to thrive. Your local feed store should sell a gamebird crumble that would fit this need .

To work on making them trust you maybe try treating them to some birdseed with sunflower seeds in it or cracked grain such as oats and corn. You could also try meal worms.

They are beautiful birds. A German restaurant I worked at when I was in high school had around 8 of them patrolling the grounds. Did you know they can live to be 40 or 50 years old?
That is why I did not peruse getting any. How do you put a peacock in your will?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »
Thank you Maggie. Haha I know what you mean about animals and wills.
  That is good advice on the feed. We will sure get some  game bird food.  They are staying in the enclosed part of the chicken pen during this wet weather- I think they may be spoiled  to staying dry. I like staying dry too haha.  :)  judy 
Central Mississippi

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »
When we were in South Carolina last fall the peacocks came out in dream vest at dusk. They like fed eating grass and bugs but their favorite part was eating the fresh planted flowers in the flower beds. They literally worked the flowers over. Protect your plants Judy!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 04:46:06 PM »
Thank you Double B. I don't doubt it. Hummm They may not get their freedom so quickly .. I bet they can  do that and very fast- worse than deer.
 I did notice that the pea hen gets first dibs . The peacock will go look at a cricket bend down and just stare at it till the peahen runs and grabs it. I threw a big grasshopper in the other day and they made me laugh as the peahen dropped it several times and finally held on. the peacock  just seemed to say "what was that"? .
Central Mississippi