Author Topic: Japanese beetles  (Read 226 times)

Offline Mr Sam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Japanese beetles
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
 I have been killing these beetles by hand and have killed 60. 

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Japanese beetles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:01:10 AM »
I am in the throws of ridding my fruit trees of them.
My method is I use a shallow bucket with water and knock them off the leaves into the water then give the chickens. They pick them off the surface of the water and seem to look forward to eating them.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Mr Sam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
We never had them till the last couple of years.  I have read some on them and they stay in the trees at night.  They made a real mess of my pole beans but so far not the bush beans  is that what you see also?

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 04:47:47 AM »
They are here every year some years worse than others.
They have (so far) never developed a taste for my veggies but I do not grow beans so maybe that is like candy to them.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:00 AM »
We have not had problems here with Jap. Beetles in a good 20 yrs. This year they have come on strong!! They were swarming my large, beautiful crepe myrtle tree in my backyard. I went and got the bait traps , caught a couple of handfuls in there only but then they all left suddenly. Twenty yrs ago I had 4 crepe myrtles, and they were skeletonizing the leaves ....was awful looking. I got the baits traps then and and boy, they were filling up to the brims fast!! It solved the problem pretty quickly. I suggest the traps....read the directions. They must be 30 ft from the garden or whatever. Mine this yr might have been a little closer in some.....not much. Everyone in my neighborhood is complaining about them, however I am beetle free after using the traps....got them at Home Depot.