Author Topic: Cajun Potato  (Read 284 times)

Offline Mr Sam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Cajun Potato
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
My Maw Maw used to make a potato  that was kind of stewed dish.  Wondering if any Cajun cooks would have the recipe for them.  I know ask someone in the family but all the old people are gone.  Don't know how to spell it but sounds like Bom Blet as I remember it. My Maw Maw was a true Cajun cook.  Thanks

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
Re: Cajun Potato
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
What else did it have in it and what color was it?

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
My parents are true cajuns and they made a potato dish called potato gravy. It's cut up potatoes, cooked in a little oil and a bunch of onions. Stir in a little water and simmer till done. It ends up looking like a potato stew.  Does this sound like it?

PK
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:30:56 PM by pknowles »

Offline Mr Sam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »
 That sounds like it.  I still miss her and her cooking.  Was the best time of my life spending summers in Louisiana after we moved to Kansas.
My Paw Paw told me home is where your heart is.  Damn got a little choked up typing that. Thanks for the help.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »
I thought that was it but the name for it threw me off.

******After typing all of that below I found a recipe on Youtube******* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YILyVkUN-o

There's two ways to cook that. The way I like it is to peel and clean the potatoes then soak in water while you dice up a big onion. Add about 3 tablespoons of oil to a cast iron or Magnalite pot then the onions, saute for a few minutes then dump it the drained potatoes. Stir every few minutes and continue to cook until the potatoes are dark. You actually want to caramelize the onions and potatoes and the only way to do that is to cook them till they start to stick to the pot then stir and repeat the process. This isn't something you'll get right the first time, it takes practice to get right but the flavor is something that you can't buy in a store.

The other way is easy, just dump potatoes in the pot with oil and add a little water. Cook over medium high heat till they start breaking apart and lower heat. It's really just a mashed potato version on the stove.

I like to saute smoked sausage in the pan first then add potatoes to soak up the grease and flavor. Continue cooking till the potatoes fall apart and you'll need to add water along the way to prevent burning and make the gravy.

The easy way is to saute your sausage and onions on the stove first. Dump that in a rice cooker along with the diced potatoes, add water to cover(you may need more later to avoid sticking) Set it to cook, keep checking and stirring till it's done.

I didn't mention seasoning, always add some seasoning in the beginning of either method and use what you like. Season to your taste along the way but remember potatoes soak up salt so don't add too much salt till you're ready to take it off the fire and eat.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:45:43 AM »
I thought that was it but the name for it threw me off.

******After typing all of that below I found a recipe on Youtube******* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YILyVkUN-o

There's two ways to cook that. The way I like it is to peel and clean the potatoes then soak in water while you dice up a big onion. Add about 3 tablespoons of oil to a cast iron or Magnalite pot then the onions, saute for a few minutes then dump it the drained potatoes. Stir every few minutes and continue to cook until the potatoes are dark. You actually want to caramelize the onions and potatoes and the only way to do that is to cook them till they start to stick to the pot then stir and repeat the process. This isn't something you'll get right the first time, it takes practice to get right but the flavor is something that you can't buy in a store.

The other way is easy, just dump potatoes in the pot with oil and add a little water. Cook over medium high heat till they start breaking apart and lower heat. It's really just a mashed potato version on the stove.

I like to saute smoked sausage in the pan first then add potatoes to soak up the grease and flavor. Continue cooking till the potatoes fall apart and you'll need to add water along the way to prevent burning and make the gravy.

The easy way is to saute your sausage and onions on the stove first. Dump that in a rice cooker along with the diced potatoes, add water to cover(you may need more later to avoid sticking) Set it to cook, keep checking and stirring till it's done.

I didn't mention seasoning, always add some seasoning in the beginning of either method and use what you like. Season to your taste along the way but remember potatoes soak up salt so don't add too much salt till you're ready to take it off the fire and eat.

That sounds like what we call smothered potatoes.  Sometimes we add breakfast sausage o r ham or smoked sausage or hamburger or just onion and potatoes.  My favorite is breakfast sausage. My daughter sometimes uses bacon, I have never used bacon.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA