Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 585 times)

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
I'm back!
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:00:11 AM »
Some of you might remember I posted awhile back about taking care of my "elderly parents" and didn't know if I would be able to garden this year. I moved out of my "mini farm", gave away my chickens and sold or got rid of most of my belongings. I rented a house for all of us and my 87 year old dad and I was able to till and plant a small space. We planted a good many tomatoes, a row of Dixie Lee lady peas, a row of okra, little space of cucumber, squash and eggplant. We did pretty good.
The last few months have been rough. My 90 year old mom has been very sick and it's stressful on us. The little garden has been a place where we could go to and get some mind therapy. I am still working so my dad has been keeping busy in the garden. We have been able to put some stuff in the freezer too.  I have posted a pic of him cutting okra. It makes my heart happy...:)

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:23:00 AM »
So glad you were able to do this! Enjoy every moment with them you can while they are still here with you.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
Wow....the garden looks great!!....and your Dad looks so happy in there. So very sorry about your mother...know you are a Godsend for them.

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »
It's great that you can help your parents out like that.   :)
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
I love that picture of your Dad. He looks like he is very happy to be out in the garden. Which looks like is doing really well.

I will pray for you and your family. You are a good daughter. Caring for  elderly parents is a labor of love that has its challenges.

Post up when you can.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 02:52:26 AM »
Mrs PKnowles, I am sorry to hear your Mother is sick.
I pray The Lord will heal her and she is better soon.
Your Father looks so happy in the garden.
May God Bless you , your Mother & Father.

Hope ya'll have a good summer.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 09:48:28 PM »
I always love your posts, Peggy. I pray for a healing for your mom and hope you and your dad can continue to enjoy your garden. I'm also glad that you are able to be with them in their twilight years. I was with my parents all the way till the end and while I miss them dearly, there are no regrets. Enjoy them to the fullest while you have them.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 04:26:51 AM »
God Bless, and it's great to see a family spending time in the garden.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 05:45:37 AM »
that was a sacrifice for you that will well be repaid many times in life, I think out children are suppose to not help to make the end come for the parents as soon as possible so they can get there family share as soon as possible and not spend the money on parents, what we are seeing in our age ground over here the kids think Hospice is the answer, get rid of them soon as you can to divide and sell the house, Land and all thingies in and on it, quick cash and quick sale of the house, your wonderful to drop what you are doing to help them and what could be there last days, fond memories of being in the garden rather than the nursing home, I vote you great.   
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 04:55:13 PM »
  God bless you Peggy !
Central Mississippi

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »
One of God's greatest gifts is for us to be able to care for the people who once cared for us.  When we think back on all our parents did and sacrificed for us, it is a very, very small thing to be able to repay them with love, kindness, and, most of all, care and companionship in their later years.

You are a blessing to them!!!  "Honor thy Father and Mother."

God's continued blessings on you and yours, Peggy!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Just want to say "Thank you" for your moral support. I want them to be with me as long as they can...

PK

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 04:27:23 AM »
Mrs Gymgirl , you are so right.

Ephesians 6:2-3 King James Version (KJV)

2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;

3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Mrs PKnowles May God bless you and your parents .