Author Topic: RIP Donald, aka Webcajun  (Read 2567 times)

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Donald, aka Webcajun
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
I really don't know what to say I am truly heartbroken. I am glad for the times that I did get to spend with him he is good people. May God bless him and his family.

Rest in peace Donald.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
I, too, am very saddened by this.  We had a few conversations by pm, and always a good visit at the get-togethers.  I do hope this site will continue.  Prayers for the family-he loved them so much.
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
I am so shocked and saddened by this. He has been such a big help to all gardeners and always so nice to all. Heaven has welcomed a good and kind man. RIP, Mr Donald.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
I first saw Donald 10 and 1/2 years ago. I was perusing videos early on the morning of February 9, 2009 about hilling gardens when I came across his videos on Youtube.  I followed a link to his old website on Yuku.  I joined and it became a major part of my life.
Upon first seeing Donald in his videos I had a feeling that I had known him before and for a long time. Donald was that rare type of person that made you feel at ease, welcome and relaxed to hear him speak. He was knowledgable as we all know, friendly and a sharing person.  He was also wise.

I met Donald and Mary in the summer of 2009.  I stopped by at their home in Hamburg, LA on my way back to Many, LA after visiting my family down in the New Orleans area.  When I first met them both in person I felt like they were family.  I know many say that about people but I mean that from the heart.  Mary was the spitting image of my family the Claviers from Church Point, LA.  She had that smile and wonderful attitude that made you glad to be around her.  She shared her good feeling with you and made you feel better about knowing her. She seemed to have time for everyone and welcomed everyone into her home and heart.   I loved Mary like she was one of my Great Aunts that I had lost when I was younger.  She was good for my heart.
  Donald and Mary had been together for most of their lives.  They loved each other and were joined in a special way.  I will miss them both until I see them on that Day God has promised us.  They are together and I know as much as Donald loved life and embraced it,  he is relieved to be with his most cherished companion and wife. 

I wish they had both lived forever.  The world was a better place with them.  Lives were made better, hearts were made fuller and peace was more fulfilled with them.
  I will miss those times just sitting and talking with Donald and Mary on that front porch in Hamburg.

God minister to the family that has lost them and to the friends also.  Keep our Donald and Mary close to you.  Until we are all meet again at the Resurrection you have promised.  Thank you for allowing them to share their lives with us and bless their family. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:44:25 AM by tbird »
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 10:35:33 AM »
Dang it man... I have a really stressful job and when things get bad, I often pull up YouTube and watch one of Donald's gardening vids.  His smile and calm demeanor always makes me feel better and inspires me to go dig in the dirt and quit sweating the stuff that really doesn't matter.  I regret that I never got to meet him in person, but I felt like I knew him.  Sad day, his family will be in our prayers for sure. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline cajuntransplant

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( I have always believed that God puts the people you "need" in your life, whether it be for a short time or forever. I believe God put Donald and Mary in my life to meet some needs.
I found Donald's youtube channel by looking up gardening videos. When my last child left the nest, I was clueless on what to do with myself. For so many years my total focus had been on the kids. Hobbies I once had all fell by the way side. You see, I didn't know a thing about gardening, but my husband did. If I was going to help my husband in the garden, I wanted feel like I was contributing in some way.
The first video I watched got me hooked. I must have binge on his video's for at least 24 hours to start...lol  Donald reminded me of a Grandpa! Thank goodness I never told him that...lol I didn't grow up with a Grandpa but Donald is what I imagined one would be like. He explained things simple and was always willing to help. Then it got more better when I joined his forum. My world exploded with garden resources. I found a world that had many more people just like me. If you needed help or had questions, there would be someone who knew how to help. The Bayou Gardener get togethers were the icing on the cake. The opportunity to meet some of these awesome people in person was just over the moon. We became a family! We had family reunions. Sometimes the faces would change but that just meant more family. I wouldn't trade my experience for the world. I will miss Donald and Mary. There will never be another like them. Precious and rare jewels. I pray their family stops by this forum and reads the out pouring of love for their loved ones. Thanks to their children for sharing their parents with the world. Much love and prayers Michelle

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
Geez... I hate hearing this about Mr. Donald and I am sad that I didn't get to meet him in person. I binge watched his videos and still go back and watch some of them again. I learned SO much from this. He reminded me of some of my uncles in Lake Charles. His humor and his gentle ways. May he rest in peace in the big garden in Heaven. I also hope this site will stay on.

PK

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
No. Words.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »
I am sad because of his passing..

I don't know much of his life but one thing he did do was to bring us all together to share with each other.. He has bought many laughs and friends to us all through his life..   Thanks Donald..   
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:58 PM »
Sad to hear about his passing. 

Will be possible to keep the forum going in his honor?
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Hippie Willie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
***I saw Donald, The Bayou Gardener, for the first time on a Gardening video. About a minute into the video, I paused it and went and found my Wife and dragged Her back to the computer. I restarted the video and we watched to the end. At the end of the video, I said to my Wife, " I just watched my Best Friend talking about planting vegetables." Donald wasn't acting, He was relating. He made everyone feel like He was making His videos for them.

***The first time I met Donald was at His and Mary's home. My Wife and I had traveled to Hamburg, La. to attend the I ST Annual Bayou Gardener BBQ. I got out of my truck and Donald was standing at the Overhead door to His shop, were He had directed me to unload. I walked up, He extended His hand, I took it and then gave Him the biggest, (It's been a long time since I've seen You hug.) I,m sure the hug caught Him by surprise but the smile on His face real. That was Donald Decote, a Real individual with a very huge following of good people.

***The last Get Together, I attended, Donald informed me that it would be His and Mary's last. I was devestated. Even though I kept in touch by email and the Forum, I told Him that I planned on coming to Hamburg and visit. I am so Sad that I didn't make the trip.

***I have been criticized a lot over the years. People would say, "You think everything has to be perfect." I would respond, "No not perfect, just as close to Perfect as it can be." Well, Donald Decote was that close.

***RIP Donald, may Your Heart be healed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:24:04 PM by TheCutNShootTiredGuy »

Offline cubman

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Go ahead doc...make my day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
RIP Big D! YUP, been around since the very early YUKU days. The forum had a much different feel back in the day. A bunch has been lost since those days, but one thing remains..the wit and cool character of D!  Plant on ol boy...you'll surely be missed!
just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
  The fond memories of Donald are so many.  The story of the Guinea Hen and the Ceiling Fan is one of my funniest memories in my life.  Thank you Donald for your perspective and your stories.  The Yuku days were very special. 

Good to see you Cub. 
God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
  I am very sorry to hear this news.  Condolences to his family at this difficult time.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline Pepperman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2019, 08:56:10 PM »
 Thank you for all the friends and garden help. My internal rest be granted to you Donald and perpetual light shine on you.
http://peppermansgarden.blogspot.com/
3 dogs
13 chickens
A wife who keeps us all in line
Liverpool New York

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Very Sad News, We have all been Blessed by Knowing Donald & all the Advice he has shared with us, Now its left to us to share that Information with Others, Prayers & Thoughts For Donald's Family in these trying Times

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »

Here's to Donald, his wisdom will live on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym1oRM9aoVo

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2019, 03:42:12 AM »
To the Donald Ducote  family and friends, I am sorry to hear this and I pray for each one that Jesus will comfort and give you peace and strength.
Please lean on Jesus , He will  help you through this.
Mr Donald helped and improved  many thousands  of people  how to become a good gardener or a better gardener.
I will miss his wisdom and knowledge and hope this forum can continue in his honor.

May God Bless The Ducote Family and Friends.

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2019, 06:47:48 AM »
My wife and I are very sad of this news.   I too met Donald a few years back at the gathering held at his house.   I drove all night from NW Ark to get there that next morning, and like a kid, beaming with excitement when finally meeting his sports hero or icon, I felt that same feeling when I got out of my truck and saw Donald sitting at the table, talking with the folks around him.   He had that effect on me.....and still does.
Like many, we garden the way Donald taught us and have been reaping the rewards ever since.   But the biggest reward was knowing him.
We will obviously miss him but will keep spreading his wisdom and knowledge to each other and others around us.
RIP Donald.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.