Author Topic: The Bayou Gardener Family  (Read 2092 times)

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
The Bayou Gardener Family
« on: August 03, 2019, 02:52:13 AM »
To The Bayou Gardener Family.
I pray for Mr Donald's family , friends and all of The Bayou Gardener Family.
I will miss Mr Donald and his wisdom , knowledge, help and I could go on and on, he was a friend to all and worked hard to bring The Bayou Gardener Family together.
I hope it is ok for me to ask this , if not some one please just delete it.
I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts that y'all put on here over the years and even though I have not met you in person I feel like I know you.
I am worried about this so here goes my question.

Could some one help/inform/advise  --- If The Bayou Gardener  closes , (and Lord knows I hope it stays up) , but if it closes , could some one set up or tell us of some site, some where we could all join and still stay in touch with each other.
I hope this site does not close , but if it does and we could preplan to meet again on some site , we could still stay in touch with each other .
PLEASE forgive me if I am over reacting , but I have worried about this and don't know of any other way to stay in touch with ever one if this site should  close.
I really hope The Bayou Gardener stays up and runs forever.
Thank you each and every one.
Please feel free to comment.
AGAIN, PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF I AM OVER REACTING OR OUT OF ORDER TO ASK THIS QUESTION.
MAY THE LORD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE .
Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:22:03 PM by crazyhorse »

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
Re: The Bayou Gardener Family
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 06:15:03 AM »
Crazy horse I am not sure if your on FaceBook or not but when the site was down for a couple weeks awhile back the group cajun gardener was started on there.

I am not advocating for anyone to go there and sign up as like some people I am not the biggest fan of FB. But it is convenient for some things and keeping in touch with family is one.

It was started by people from this site to get in touch with each other and try and keep things moving. As we were unaware at the time if the BG site or forum would come back online.

It is still open but does not have nearly the traffic that the forum has. When it was started it was just people and friends from here on the forum but now does have others. It's a really good group, but not the conversation that's held on here.

Like your self I have spent much time here reading and learning and making great friends of people I have never met. I hope that this place stays around for ever it feels like home.

But as said above the FB group was started. For the most part incase the wonder world here would crash again. We would be able to connect and stay connected with our people here.

Mr Donald was such a great man. Not only to share all of his knowledge but to put this place here for people.

To verify each and every person that was wanting to join. All that to make this place feel like home to each and everyone that took their time here to learn and make friends without having to worry about the people on the other side of the screen.

Mr Donald gave us a place for everyone, no matter social status, age, or walk of life to come and be family.

No other place like that on the internet and No other man like him I have ever met. Truly a one of a kind.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
Crazyhorse,

I think you have asked the question that each of us are curious about. I pray that Donald's family has learned how much we cared for him and the "family" environment that he created. I too wish that there was some way to continue his legacy through this site. I would volunteer but I know nothing about hosting a site or even taking one over.

I am sure it is a lot of work and hopefully someone that has the love for this site and the skills to do it could keep the thing going. As for other sites, I have read several different forums but none come close to the sense of community and family that this site has. Many argue, berate and belittle other gardeners as well as get into political arguments. There's plenty of other places to go do that but like you, this place has always felt like we had friends whether we were in this city, state country or world.

14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
The last time the site went down Zook started the Facebook page for a place to keep in touch. I know not everyone likes Facebook but it's there if you use it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1956181071077315/

At the same time I set up a free forum on Proboards, set up as close to this site as possible. The site came back online quick and only a few people signed up but it's still there and can be used if needed. It's also listed on the Facebook page in one of the first post if you can find it. I think everyone should save the link just in case keeping the website going is too much for the family to handle and it shuts down. Maybe someone or a group of us can take it over? Just a thought.
http://louisianagardening.proboards.com/

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
Don't know why but it feels right to me that someone should be twisting Bobby's arm a bit!
What do y'all think?
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Hippie Willie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 03:50:23 PM »
I can host the bayou gardener forum on my server FREE of charge. However it would be a different forum software that's much more updated than the one that's in use now. The forum software is compatible with PC's, Tablets and Cell Phones.

The only issue would be the domain name. I can register: "thebayougardener.org" or "thebayougardener.net"

If any of you members are interested to keep The Bayou Gardener Family together this way let me know and I can start working on that soon.

-Hippie

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 11:52:11 PM »
Thank ya'll  for all the good replies.
As you all know by now I am in pre kinder garden in computer knowledge and thought I better ask in case this site did close.
Mr Donald worked very hard to keep webcajun.com/thebayougardner.com up and running and I just don't want to lose contact with The Bayou Gardener Family.
So all of you that are computer savvy please help keep this family group together.\
Please keep the ideas/comments/information coming.
Thank you one and all .

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 05:37:42 AM »
it would be a very good thing if we can stay together in some way.....i don't want this group to not be able to continue
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »
Hippie Willie, I for one am interested.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
Gosh hope it does not end, Hippie Willie
Joe-In-Dirt

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
   I just signed up on the facebook page ya'll. Mr Horse, can you access facebook? - I hope you can because we really do need a place for members to come together-     bordercollie aka judy
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
I can host the bayou gardener forum on my server FREE of charge. However it would be a different forum software that's much more updated than the one that's in use now. The forum software is compatible with PC's, Tablets and Cell Phones.

The only issue would be the domain name. I can register: "thebayougardener.org" or "thebayougardener.net"

If any of you members are interested to keep The Bayou Gardener Family together this way let me know and I can start working on that soon.

-Hippie

Hippie Willie  I'm  interested but  also not computer savvy .   I would love to be among my friends  from here.  There's just too many friendships to loose if it goes away.   judy aka bordercollie
Central Mississippi

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 12:56:43 AM »
   I just signed up on the facebook page ya'll. Mr Horse, can you access facebook? - I hope you can because we really do need a place for members to come together-     bordercollie aka judy

Dr Judy, I can access face book.
I really enjoy all of The Bayou Gardener family and trying to make sure that I don't lose contact .
I hope some how this site stays up.
 Thank you .

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
Speaking of Bobby,

Unbelievable that I was reviewing some of Mr. Donald's VERY early vids this weekend, and, wouldn't you know it, I ran smack into the one where he was highly promoting a new videographer named "MHPgardener - BOBBY," and how he was up and coming on YouTube!

Just warmed my heart, because, that's how Donald was.  He was NOT a selfish man!  And, promoting whomever could benefit the gardening community was part of his giving, serving nature.

I'm all for keeping the Bayou Gardener community together. I would miss ya'll tremendously.

What I'd like to ask is that we figure out the rendezvous spot for us ALL to meet up again, in the event this site goes down.  I'm hearing lots of suggestions of where to go, but, I'd truly like us to end up all in the same place if we have to "bug out!"

So, keep on discussing names, and places, and WHO WILL MAN A NEW SITE (if it comes to that), and, let's agree on where we should all end up.

In the meanwhile, if someone would volunteer to do whatever is necessary to keep us here, that would be appreciated, greatly!

And, if I'm asleep if/when everyone "bugs out," and ya'll notice I'm not there, I would appreciate an email from someone telling me where I need to be, LOL!  Don't leave me wandering all over the net looking for ya'll!

Luv you guys!

Linda :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
if hippie willie is astute enough to set up a website, that sounds like the best idea....we need to do something fast, though-just in case
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline Hippie Willie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
This is a test site for the members to see whats in store, feel free to try it. I will leave this test site up 1 week. After that I will delete it and put up the final site The Bayou Gardener Family, only if the members agree on this. I'm in no way wanting to take Donald's place, just trying to help keep what he started going forward.

I think the domain name should be 'thebayougardenerfamily.com'

To see the test site, it's here: https://beta.avoyellesparishonline.com/

-Hippie Willie

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:06 PM »
This is a test site for the members to see whats in store, feel free to try it. I will leave this test site up 1 week. After that I will delete it and put up the final site The Bayou Gardener Family, only if the members agree on this. I'm in no way wanting to take Donald's place, just trying to help keep what he started going forward.

I think the domain name should be 'thebayougardenerfamily.com'

To see the test site, it's here: https://beta.avoyellesparishonline.com/

-Hippie Willie

Willie, Would it not be easer to just keep this site going? Everyone is familiar with it and already logged on.  I'll help anyway I can PM me if you want to chat off line.

Thank Zook

Offline Lonnie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 08:17:57 PM »
Iím new to the forum. But, Iím interested.

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
One thing that might need to be considered is the cost to run a forum (which I have no idea what that is).  I made donations to Mr. Donald a few times over the years but I don't know if he ever got enough to cover the cost.  I really think he kept the forum going for the spirit that he created here.  I wouldn't expect Don JR. to want to carry whatever the cost is for very long.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »
I know nothing about setting up websites, forums,etc...LOL, I try to stay as computer ignorant as possible at all times!! ;D  I do so appreciate so much others with the knowledge and know-how who could and are offering to keep the forum going. Have thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful site with all you gracious and helpful folks and would definitely miss all if it ended. Just please lead me like a blind little doggie to wherever I need to be to stay in touch, and I will be MOST grateful!! :) :) :)