Author Topic: purple hull peas  (Read 677 times)

Offline crash56

• Grasshopper
  • Garden like your life dependes on it...it just may
    • View Profile
purple hull peas
« on: August 03, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Hey everyone.........i planted php again this year but for some reason they are sending out runners??? before i would find a few runners... this year looks like i should have trellised them...lol any idea whats going on with them?......

thanks  tony
1953 ford golden jubilee

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Re: purple hull peas
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
I plant Mississippi Pink Eye PHP's and they send runners out.   Mainly out the top and I just look past them.  I don't think they'd grab a trellis, but that's just my thinking.
Just give them some time and they should start flowering.
Good luck
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:41:09 AM »
I plant Mississippi Pink Eye PHP's and they send runners out.   Mainly out the top and I just look past them.  I don't think they'd grab a trellis, but that's just my thinking.
Just give them some time and they should start flowering.
Good luck
cat, yes they will grab hold of a trellis!....matter of fact, Lord willing, ima' going to trellis some next year just to show folks(my wife) that they will go up a trellis....hint: i already tried it

regular PHP will run all over the place....mine lays down and spreads like a watermelon vine
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 07:52:33 AM »
hmmmm, didn't know that.
I just let those runners run and they don't seem to bother anything else.
Speaking of PHP's, my first planting was just 2 rows (125' each) started to peter out about 3 weeks ago.   In June/July, I put up about 10 gallon bags, shelled in the freezer.  Now they are starting ROUND 2, and I'll be picking again, starting today.
I planted 4 more rows about 3-4 weeks ago that I'll sell from later this month.   Those rows are getting close and should be flowering in a week or two.
Anyway, I have enjoyed the 3 week break from all the picking and my Taylor has loved the down time. :D
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:36:53 AM »
Hey Crash56- I had been planting cream zippers every year but this year I thought I'd try purple hulls.  I planted two rows between my tomatoes and okra.  And they did run up into my tomatoes and okra.  It wasn't a problem, though.  When I picked peas I just always looked in those other rows for more peas.  I'm growing late ones right now for a second batch.  If they get in my tomatoes that's fine.  I'll find them anyway.

I love to shell peas and watch TV!  The two just seem to go together!  So relaxing.....

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
Hey Crash56- I had been planting cream zippers every year but this year I thought I'd try purple hulls.  I planted two rows between my tomatoes and okra.  And they did run up into my tomatoes and okra.  It wasn't a problem, though.  When I picked peas I just always looked in those other rows for more peas.  I'm growing late ones right now for a second batch.  If they get in my tomatoes that's fine.  I'll find them anyway.

I love to shell peas and watch TV!  The two just seem to go together!  So relaxing.....
sumpin' wrong with you!!! 8)

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
I am with mater on this one. We love to shell peas and I think it takes us back to the old days when we would sit around with our grandparents, parents and cousins. Everybody had a pan of peas in their laps and we would listen to the stories that the old folks told. Now we are the old folks but we still like to sit around with friends and neighbors and shell peas. I hope the young folks will have as good of memories as we have of the pea shelling times.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
Double B....used to sit on the porch with my grandma while she shelled peas....many,many moons ago. Now it takes me 2.5 hrs a shelling for crowder peas by myself....love when my sister can come help!! Relaxing and great conversation.Kids today are missing out on a great many of the things we so fondly remember.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
I don't know what peas you plant, I plant Top Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Peas, by recommendation of "The Donald" many years ago and they never run.  The peas grow on a stalk the plant shoots up.  They taste great and are the only southern pea I grow now.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
bob, plant those TPPH peas next to a fence and watch them run. ...i plant both kinds and the top pick do not run as much as the regular PHP, but they will run, as will crowders and others

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
I have always stuck cheap little ol fencing (just push in the ground kind) on both sides of my crowder pea rows. I train the runners/vines onto to that as they start trying to run or vine. Works well....may get an errant vine or runner here or there that is not hard to deal with. Runners,of course, don't cooperate as easily as the vining type but not too much a problem, I have found. Red Rippers love the fencing.

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
I have always stuck cheap little ol fencing (just push in the ground kind) on both sides of my crowder pea rows. I train the runners/vines onto to that as they start trying to run or vine. Works well....may get an errant vine or runner here or there that is not hard to deal with. Runners,of course, don't cooperate as easily as the vining type but not too much a problem, I have found. Red Rippers love the fencing.
i think its the red rippers that i read about that would run across the road if you let them...i think i remember them having runners as much as 10 feet long?

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
Yes, Nat Champ they will go far!! But they seem to love the fencing I put on either side of them....they stay pretty content with just that. One time I let some errant vines run to my yard fence just to see if it would attach....yes, attached and grew all over that,too. The brown cowpeas I used to grow sent out true runners....they seemed thicker and a little harder to train to the fencing but not much.

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:27:20 AM »
I'm not sure of the variety of purple hulls I planted.  I tried them this year for the first time instead of cream zippers.  My mom always planted purple hulls so I thought I'd try them.  They have proven to be very hardy and good producers.  I didn't expect them to run as much as they did but it was no problem.  I just picked them wherever I saw them.  I have a late crop growing right now and they look great.  Should start blooming any time.