Author Topic: 6 ears on one stalk of corn  (Read 376 times)

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
6 ears on one stalk of corn
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
i planted a little block of incredible just to have some late corn to eat on, and i have several ears with 5 and i found one with 6 ears of corn.....now, incredible will make 2 good ears and a nubbin, so i know that the extra ears will not amount to anything, but its crazy to see all of the sillks coming out of the stalks....i have had 4 before and the 4th did not develop into anything....i just hope that the extra ears don't hinder the development of good ears
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: 6 ears on one stalk of corn
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:48:06 AM »
Champ that must be some kind of Record, If U have enough to experiment with, U might take 1 or a couple stalks and brake off most of the nubs and see how those ears develop compared to the other with all the nubs, I know on fruit trees, to much fruit will have a effect on the size of the Peaches or what ever

Rat 
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
Pictures or it didnt happen!  lol

Thats so cool. Bill "Gopforbroke" was trying to help me with my corn growing skills the last couple years. Boy was he helpful...

would be cool to see a picture if your able..

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »
Pictures or it didnt happen!  lol

Thats so cool. Bill "Gopforbroke" was trying to help me with my corn growing skills the last couple years. Boy was he helpful...

would be cool to see a picture if your able..
i don't have a camera, nor do i use a cell phone due to an intense hatred for the federal government and to the fact that every fart you cut is heard by them....
i know that they won't make that many ears of edible corn, i just have never seen it before and i mean its multiple stalks with 4-6 silks....i do see most have 2 decent ears forming and i am going to watch it a few more days before i clip off some....incredible has thin stalks and i don't think i can hold up any extra weight....the lady that used to take the pics got herself a high paying job and is now "affluent" and don't come and work in the garden like she did when she lost her job a few years ago....i feel a bitch rant coming on so i'll stop....stuff like that is why i am only planting for the two of us next year

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 06:23:33 AM »
i completely understand about the cell phone. It tried to go with just a plain flip phone but have 2 older girls that just text I had to go back to a phone more user friendly for texting.

It was amazing how much more work i would accomplish not have internet available on my phone.

i was just pulling your leg about the pictures. though it must be an amazing site!

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 12:08:40 AM »
That's pretty good!  These hybrids and candy corns don't make very big stalks.  Did you side dress them with some nitrogen when they were about knee high?

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 05:53:42 AM »
That's pretty good!  These hybrids and candy corns don't make very big stalks.  Did you side dress them with some nitrogen when they were about knee high?
i do it twice

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:59:24 PM »
I haven't raised any corn in a few years.  But yeah I side dressed them twice too.  When they were about knee high and again just before they started to make ears.  The biggest problems I had was keeping the coons out.  We alway painted the silks with vegetable oil to keep out the worms.
When I was a kid there were no hybrid or candy corns at that time.  Everybody planted field corn.  I remember my dad always planted a variety called I Ko Chief.  Spelling?  Anyway it made a huge ear and was a big producer.  Pretty good eating as I recall.....