Author Topic: THE GREAT MIGRATION...  (Read 467 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
THE GREAT MIGRATION...
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »
It is with a really heavy, but practical, heart that I pose this question:

When are we all moving over to the "Bayou Gardener Family" website?

I only ask because there are running threads here that we continue to post on, but, there are duplicate threads popping up on the other site.  At some point, we're gonna have to agree to all move the conversations.

I wish there was a way to migrate the threads from here to there, but, I'm pretty sure that would take forever to do, as a cut and paste thing.  However, if there is a way to do it, I would like to ask that the "What Did You Do in the Garden Today?" thread be the one to go over, first.  It has a running history of our daily activity, calendar time frames, pictures, planting schedules, issues, suggested remedies, and a whole lotta data that I, for one, reference quite frequently.  I think others do, too.

So, that's my take on things, as they are now.  I'd hate for us to go down over here, with no warning, and all that data is lost. 

Please consider, if there is a way.

Kindest Regards.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:09:08 AM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: THE GREAT MIGRATION...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »
i check the other one regularily, like this one...i think we are just waiting to see....BUT, we are ready to move immediately, when/if the time comes so its all good
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
I have been to the other one and have it bookmarked. But o am staying here until word is said about what will happen.

It's good to have a backup plan but I feel like after everything mr Donald shared with us with this place jumping ship for a maybe to me would be letting him down.

So I am here until it's gone or they let us know it will be shutting down.

There is so much great information on this place it would be ashamed to lost it.

And finally the one thing the other place will not have is that picture of mr Donald on his posts ye replied to.

Hoping everything stays here and we just keep bumping along.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »
Ok.  I understand the sentiments.  Stay here until we get notified we're shutting down. 
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »
Gym girl you still do your blog?

I was looking at an old computer and found the link but it has not been updated in a few years.

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
There's just so much priceless information here.. I'd sure hate for it to go away. I agree with Gymgirl : is there anyway that it could be handed over to those who have offered to keep it going?   
Central Mississippi

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »
Bobcat,
The site dwindled down to just a handful of members, and, I abandoned the blog.  I still refer to it every now and again.  I have the same sentiments about that blog as I do about this website (which is where I came to after that last site).  The information is invaluable, and, I sure wish there was a way to download and preserve the history.

Which makes yet another case for my hand written garden journals and my camera pics.....

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »
That's why I do my little YouTube videos.

I can always go back and see what was what at different times of the year.

I am not very good at the writing down in the journal. Always find something better to do... lol

And it's also free to leave there. My biggest thing for doing it is my baby. If something happens to me then he can always go back and check out what his old man was doing when he was young.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
That's a GREAT reason to do it! :-*

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »
I have been following both forums and will continue to do so as long as they both exist. If I had my choice I would prefer to keep this form going. It has a wealth of knowledge and it would be a shame to lose all this knowledge that is one reason I would prefer to see this one continue. I  Know how to navigate this forum better.  I know what in time I would understand the other forum better and navigate it better.

I am afraid we will lose some members who will not make the transition. I think we have about 25 members on the other forum'

The other reason is Donald Ducote you were great and loving man. The first time I met Donald I stopped on the way back from my brother's house who is not very far from Donald's house. I asked him if it was okay if I stopped on the my way home he gave me his address and I stopped in. He was on the front porch drinking coffee he asked me if I would like to have some coffee which I never turn down coffee. We went inside I got a cup of coffee and we went back and sat on the front porch where we sat and talked for about an hour because I had to leave

He and Mary treated me as if I were family. I really believe I lost a great friend when Donald passed away. Donald would have done this for anyone he did not have a selfish bone in his body.  That is the other reason I would hate to see this for disappear, I know things have to move on but these are my feelings. I miss and love Donald and Mary rest in peace. I would love to keep his legacy going.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:52:25 PM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:57 PM »
Bob sitting on the front porch with Donald is something that I wished all our family members could have done. I won't forget my visit on the porch.
"gene"

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 02:50:20 AM »
I'm going