Author Topic: Difference between VHF & UHF 2 way Radios  (Read 317 times)

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Difference between VHF & UHF 2 way Radios
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:41:14 PM »
Can some one Try and Educate Me on the Difference between VHF & UHF 2 way radios,

Thanks

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between VHF & UHF 2 way Radios
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 05:56:03 AM »
UHF vs. VHF Two-Way Radios
VHF Radio (Very High Frequency)
The main difference between these two options is in the range of frequencies that they use. VHF radios offer a larger broadcast range, using radio waves from 30 MHz to 300 MHz. They unfortunately have less channels though, which can lead to congestion and interference from other nearby two-way radios. VHF radios have been around for much longer than UHF radios and are generally less expensive.

Very High Frequency two-way radios are ideal for the outdoors and across large areas, because they have a tendency for signal degradation in urban areas where there are many obstacles like tall buildings. They’re also ideal in areas where there are not a lot of people, so they can operate with reduced interference. Generally speaking, VHF radios are better suited for industries such as agriculture and recreation.

SEE ALSO: 8 THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW TWO-WAY RADIOS CAN DO

UHF Radio (Ultra High Frequency)
UHF two-way radio waves don’t travel as far as VHF radio waves, so they have a reduced range. However, they have a wider frequency spectrum, so they afford great coverage with little interference from other users. Due to the higher frequency that they operate on, UHF radios use up battery power more quickly so they’re not ideal if workers don’t have easy access to a charging station.

One of the biggest pros of UHF radios is that they do a much better job of penetrating barriers in urban locations, like concrete, steel, and wood. So this kind of radio is best suited for use indoors, including buildings with multiple floors, in industries such as manufacturing, distribution, education, retail, hospitality, and healthcare. They also work well for businesses that function in both indoor and outdoor settings, where there are a lot of surrounding buildings.

Now that you’re aware of the differences between VHF and UHF radios, you can make an informed decision about which option is a better fit for your business needs. As you can see, each operational frequency comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. But overall, VHF radios are better for outdoor use in large areas, and UHF radios are better for indoor or outdoor settings that are in close proximity.
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:35:13 AM »
Thanks Champ >< U Nailed it, That's Just the info i was needing, I had tried but was not getting the info i was needing, at 81, most time i don't get the question put right for this lap top to understand what i want LOL

Thanks again Champ, Just another reason among the 1000S of other reasons we need to Keep this Site Going

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
Yeah rat, it is...see, i am about to lose another friend who is going to die at any moment....that leaves me with ONE good male friend, (and he is 82) other than internet groups....still several women that are friends with my wife....the younger folks are too stupid to be my friends,and our kids live very far away....i struggle every day with myself about,"is all of this shit worth it?"....rat,i lived on a lake for long time,too....after jugears got elected a decade ago, we sold out and moved back home....the area we lived in was a good area but the surrounding area was not, and we expected that there would be issues....we moved home to be around people that we knew, and for health reasons with my wife and mother....now, where i once knew everybody, i know hardly anyone....they all died....yeah, we need to stay together, there ain't many of us left, either
EDIT: my friend just died
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:41:04 AM by 2010 National Champs »
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »
Champ I am So Sorry For Your Loss, That's a trip we all will make one day, I move to this area back in 02,  after retiring from a Oilfield Service Co, after moving here I met some very fine folks, now most of Them have Made The Trip home, one of the Guys I met was a local farmer, in another life time I had farmed for 20 years, so i was able to help him when he needed a extra hand, i traded that for some of the BEST Deer hunting U could every wish for, He gave me a VIP SPOT, also some very good fishing behind the levee, now fast forward to today, I am driving a Tractor & Grain Cart helping the Young Farmer that now farms that land, we are harvesting Corn for the last week, still got 3 or 4 more days of corn harvest, I find that keeping in touch with what happening helps me stay in touch, there are some fine Folks that live around This Lake, No Crime to speak of, and I don't see it happening any time soon, just about 100% of the Land out side the lake bank is Farm Land,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
Hey Rat, 
  I use VHF/UHF radios every day a good bit.  They are the most common frequency bands is use.  My home frequency here in Many, LA is 147.280Mhz.  My radio club operates a "repeater" here that receives on a frequency of 147.880Mhz and re-transmits on 147.280Mhz at higher power.  This allows people with lower power radios to cover larger distances.  There are thousands of repeaters in the US and more thousands around the world.  We also operate a repeater on UHF at 443.625Mhz.  I use my higher power Yaesu FT1802 (VHF Only) on 50 watts to hit repeaters in NAtchitoches, Leesville, Hemphill, Tx, Jasper, Tx, Milam, TX and many others.
The radio frequencies are divided up by the FCC into what they call "Bands".  The HF Bands are between 1.8Mhz - 30Mhz.  The bands are named by the approximate length of the radio wave at that frequency. the lowest band most commonly used by HAM radio operators is the 160Meter and of 1.8Mhz to 2.1Mhz.  Then next is 80Meter band in the 3.5Mhz range then 40Meters, 30Meters, 20Meters, 17Meters, 15Meters, 12Meters 10Meters and 6Meters.  VHF is divided into 2Meter (133Mhz-170Mhz) and 1.25Meter (210-230Meters).  UHF band is 78Cm (430Mhz-450Mhz).
Google HAM Radio Bands or HAM Radio Band Plan.  It will explain what frequencies you can use and what license may be needed to use those bands.  Bands are also divided into sections so certain parts of that band can be used specifically for modes like Morse Code, Digital Data Transmission, Voice Communications, etc.  That is spelled out in the Band Plan.
  I hold an FCC Amateur Extra license which is the top HAM license so I can use ALL Ham Radio Frequencies. 

BTW,  I got into it because I bought two hand held walkie talkies an few years back that were VHF/UHF and when I realized I needed a Technician's license I  decided to study and get one.  I took the Technician and the General license the first night. After that I studied another month and moved up to Amateur Extra.
  You can also use GMRS radios which are UHF (462Mhz-467Mhz) and require a license that can be purchased from the FCC without any testing. 

Here is a link to the GMRS info.
https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

God Bless and Good Gardening

Barking Dogs Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra
ARES Emergency Coordinator Sabine Parish

Click for weather forecast

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
Thanks T, I was checking for Info. to pass on to The Young Farmer that I Helped with corn harvest, They were Using Hand held wake a talkies, I told him that it was about like using 3 tin cans and 3 pieces of string, One of the Main problems with hand held radios. is when U are operation a tractor your hands a busy, and there is no good place to store the Hand radio, half the time its on the Floor, LOL >< he is going to equip some of his equipment with 2 way radios, he needs 10 to 15 mile range, most times the equipment is all within a mile of each, He plans to have a couple that can be moved, Like from Combine to tractor, wire up everything that will be used at different times, then just switch out the radio in a min or so, back in the 70s i had 2 way radios in farm equipment, all tractors, combines & grain trucks had a quick mount bracket, from Motorola,  antenna (spelling) and a Power source. other than the 2 way Radios in our Pickups. we had 4 mobile units that we used where needed, depending on the season, we where the radios were used, I remember they were VFH just don't remember the frequency, Had to have been a business ban, because we could talk to the Coop, i know since that there have been some changes in the laws & rules, I see on some Blogs so use Marine Ban radios for farm use,

Thanks again T

Rat 
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
Hey Rat,  Your boy could get too inexpensive Chinese VHF/UHF radios for about $70 each and install them in the cabs.  They are very small mobile units that transmit 25Watts and with a decent magnetic mount antenna could do 25 miles.    Tell him to look at QYT KY-8900 radios.  I use two of them.  I set them up as a repeater here at the house so one receives and transmits on 440Mhz to send to my handy talkie when I am outside.  The other takes whetever one radio receives and retransmits it to the local 147.880 repeater in town.  IF someone transmits on the repeater in town one of my QYTs receives and retransmits to my handy talkie on 440Mhz.
  Harder to explain than do.  When I want to use the little QYTs mobile I unscrew the antenna, unplug the power cord and go to my truck hook up antenna and power.  Voila!  I have about 35 mile or slightly more in flat country or atop a hill.  I catch the repeater here in Many, LA or in Florien, LA from Natchitoches 38 and 46 miles away.  Not bad for a inexpensive Chinese radio.   My Yaesu FT-100D or Yaesu FT-1802M/E does better at 100Watts/50 Watts but also cost better than 5X more for the 1802 and near 8X more for the 100D.

Barking Dogs Farm
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
One more thing.  When you talk English into a Chinese Radio it comes out in English!   Amazing!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Barking Dogs Farm
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »
Thanks T, I am Glad those Chinese Radios don't Have to Have A Translator ( LOL) I will make a copy of this info and pass along to him, while I have Your Ear, how about some hand held Radios, Right now i use hand held CB, when Hunting, Not very much range, is there a cheap Chinese Hand Held VHF Radio that would have 1 or 2 miles range in the woods, all flat country

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.