Author Topic: My wife made butter yesterday  (Read 340 times)

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
My wife made butter yesterday
« on: August 25, 2019, 06:33:10 AM »
you can't tell the difference in it and any of high priced stuff!!!....it cast about 1/3 of bought butter and guess what?.....we don't even own a cow....if you own a blender/processor and live near a grocery store, you can do it too....it took her about 2 minutes to make it....if interested, i 'll put it up
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: My wife made butter yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »
Ya Champ I need to see that, I grew up COUNTRY BOY, with us always having a milk cow and lots of Butter, I Can well remember my Mother Making Butter, we had so much My Mother would share it with friends, I never had drank store milk until high school.

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
It's some good stuff for sure champ. I make some with the kids from time to time. It's a fun experiment to get to the different stages of it before it's actually butter. Add a pinch of salt and it just like the land o lakes butter.

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 07:54:30 AM »

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »
Champs, I just watched the vid and it looks easy.  So easy, even I could do it.
My mom makes homemade bread and made some yesterday and we all know how fresh bread is with butter....... but homemade??   It will be great.
We'll make some
Thanks for the post
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
read the comment below the video about "washing" the butter....i don't think this video shows it, but my wife did it.....this is real butter and much cheaper....lol, she's binge watching these types videos lately....she paid almost $10 for a block of amish butter the other day...we'll have butter everywhere now

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 11:00:42 AM »
For a smaller amount of butter have y'all seen the way to do it by just shaking the cream in a mason jar? Have not tried that yet....but have tried the food processor way often in the past and love it. I pay $5.50-$6.50 per pound for organic butter....we  use about 2 pounds a month. Thanks for the video....a reminder that it is time for me to do it that way again.

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Here is the link for making butter in a jar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a75ObmDsYM

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
Rabbit, I know a lady that had a house full of girls. Whenever they got in a fight she would make them stand on the sides of the bed and look at each other. Then she gave them a gallon milk jug full of cream. Their punishment for misbehaving was to bounce the jug on the bed to each other until it was butter! She said by that time they had forgotten what they were fighting about! I guess the kids had a ball bouncing butter!LOL!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
Wade....that is a genius idea by that mom!!  I am going to try the shake in a jar method soon....bet that way will shake the ol flab off the arms!! ;D

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
I'll have to try this  !  I love butter but my sister limits the amount we take in because   of health concerns since her heart attack a couple of years ago. We don't do margarine neither- just a little olive oil  on occasions  . Butter on special days -  :D  .  Even worse than tiny butter is no bacon grease in that cornbread !
 Sis and I will be going to see my aunt in the morning. She lives north Texarkana. She makes cornbread with butter there . :) . Will be back on Tuesday night the Lord willing - and relishing thinking about that butter recipe.   judy
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
Judy....sure hope you got lots of real butter on your trip!!  I just have to say that I live on butter and bacon grease all my life. I got my blood tested for the first time in 40 yrs....my cholesterol was perfect(200) and my triglycerides were ,too (121). Out of all us kids only my older brother lowers the fat he eats....yet he has always had high cholesterol and lipids. My 2 other siblings and I eat want we want and have perfect cholesterol and triglycerides.....go figure!! I have  always read that heart disease has more to do with chronic inflammation than it does with natural fats(ie butter,etc). I never used margarine or hydrogenated oils. I eat organic so no problems with the pesticides, herbicides that cause internal inflammation....no GMO's. I truly believe it is more the other inflammatory agents that cause heart disease, not butter or bacon grease. Also, sugar causes inflammation....I have never had a sweet tooth and other than a little honey on my cereal, I do not eat sweets, in general. Time magazine debunked the whole "high cholesterol causes heart disease" in 2004....that was prior to the rash of fake news that we see now. Think I will go with the 2004 news for legitimacy!   Anyway with my good blood results I will keep on, keeping on with my good ol butter and bacon grease. I figure,  if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! ;D

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »
Thank you Rabbitproof . :) We just got back - and I sure did have plenty of cornbread and some butter on it  too. It was so good.. and to top it off Aunt Evelyn had fixed a tender roast, with carrots and potatoes . Then add pinto beans with sliced onion. It was so very good. :)
 My sister tries to follow the Ornish diet to some degree but has gotten a little more lenient with it.(its low fat)
 I do have a sweet tooth and its hard to pass up a really good cookie(s),brownie etc  ;)  and a glass of cold milk- but I have heard the same thing as you on the sugar..  Sometimes I  just "need me a cookie" though.  haha.     
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 07:22:39 AM »
Yum, Judy....Aunt Evelyn did you up right!!!!  ;D

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 10:38:49 PM »
Yum, Judy....Aunt Evelyn did you up right!!!!  ;D
  Thank you Rabbitproof. She sure is a sweetie and sharp as a tack at 89. The visit is always too short.
Central Mississippi