Author Topic: Watermelon Vines Tilled In  (Read 305 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Watermelon Vines Tilled In
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
Question......can I till in my watermelon vines or do I need to remove them, like tomatoes and cukes and burn them?
I had a fairly good melon crop this year but it was my first time so I am left with a ton of vines.
Thanks for any help on this.
Chris......ccat
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Watermelon Vines Tilled In
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:50:34 AM »
CCAT, I have a late crop of watermelons, school me on how to tell when they are ready to pick, I planted them with the seed from a melon we bought late in June, I think i planed the seed July 2nd, i have around 30 melons now with vines going every where, for some reason i think melons are 100 to 110 day crop, so i am thinking they will be getting ripe in early Oct. is that right? seems like i read some where that there is something about the vine/ stem that one needs to watch for

The melon we bought was a big stripped melon. the melons i have growing some look the same as the one we bought & some are a solid light green, I am thinking that may be because the melon we bought was a Hybrid, so my melons might turn out not so good, Only time will tell

As to Tilling in the Vines, I don't think that would be a Problem

Thanks Rat

Thanks Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »
seems like i read some where that there is something about the vine/ stem that one needs to watch for

You're right, you watch the little curly tendrils on the vine closest to the watermelon in question. When those tendrils turn yellow and begin to dry-up, your watermelon is probably ready to pick.

Hope this helps,

VG

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
Thanks Virginiagadener, I will have to take a look, i don't recall any little curly tendrils, I am sure they are there, Just have not looked that close, will check that out this afternoon when i go to turn on the drip

Thanks Rat

I will post back what I find
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:09:23 AM »
I agree with Mr Virginia Gardener.

You can also thump the water melon on top in the middle and listen at the sound of the thump on a ripe water melon , now thump another water melon that you know is still green and listen at the difference in the sound of the thump. Practice this a little and soon you can tell a ripe water melon by the sound of the thump.
Also on some types of water melon you can turn it over and look at the bottom  that is on the ground and a ripe water melon on some types will have  a more yellowish color where the green water melon will have a more white color on the bottom where they touch the ground.
Just watch and try this and before long you will be an expert on picking a ripe water melon.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 04:53:13 AM »
crazyhorse... you should see me thumping watermelons in the grocery stores and produce stands and also sniffing the stem ends of cantaloupe. Major procedure for me every time I go.... I consider it an unfailing art. I guess I am quite the pro after so many, many years.....seems to work every time.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:10:28 AM »
Rabbit I do the same thing !
I also sniff the stem end of all stone fruit.
Many times over the years people either look at me funny or come right out and ask what the heck I am doing .
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
Question......can I till in my watermelon vines or do I need to remove them, like tomatoes and cukes and burn them?
I had a fairly good melon crop this year but it was my first time so I am left with a ton of vines.
Thanks for any help on this.
Chris......ccat

There is a farm near here that grows watermelon about 20 acres. and they pick the melons and till in the vines back into the ground.  I also till them back into the ground and have never had problems.  I do rotate crops.  The farm I am talking about plants cabbage after the watermelons.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
thanks for the advice yall. 
I tilled it all in today.   Bush hogged the peas and tilled them in too.   Tomorrow will be cleaning the tomatoes and the garden will almost be done for the year.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
Time to start the Fall Garden, I am going to Plant my Carrots in the next couple days

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
I passed the farm yesterday going to town.  Looks like they were transplanting cabbage.  Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 02:36:38 AM »
Well I probably should not post this, but there are more ways to tell if a water melon still on the vine is ripe.

You can put your hand on the top of the water melon , put your ear close to the water melon and listen closely, press down firmly with a lot of pressure on top of the  water melon  with you hand on top, if the water melon is ripe you will hear a "crunch" from inside a ripe water melon, this is caused by the "heart" or center of the water melon separating. If the water melon has been mashed before it will not "crunch" again since the center of the melon has all ready separated .
This is not recommended because if you mash the melon and it is still green there will be no "crunch " sound and this can cause it to have a "green" streak in the center or "heart" of the melon when it does get ripe. So if you are going to sell the melons, this is not recommended .
There are more ways to tell a ripe water melon .
Growing the same type of water melon year after year also helps because you learn to tell by experience what a ripe melon looks like.
I hope everyone will grow water melons and cantaloupes , they taste very good and are also easy to grow.
Good luck.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
Well Yesterday evening I checked a couple of the melons, there were a couple that had the dried up string on either side of the melons, I pick one that weighs about 25#, will chill it today, and cut it this evening, will report back as to how it taste

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.