Author Topic: Planting Broc/Cauli now ?  (Read 190 times)

Offline Tbone

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Planting Broc/Cauli now ?
« on: September 06, 2019, 09:50:26 AM »
It looks like it'll be highs of 95 for at least a week. Trying to decide if I should put the broc/cauli seedlings in the ground this weekend.

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
Re: Planting Broc/Cauli now ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
Where are you located Tbone? I am south of lafayette and start then in cups right now.
I am not a fan of starting them out in the garden just due to pest. I keep the on the porch so they get limited sun for their start

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
I do what Mr. Bobcatgardener does, only inside, under the lights...it's much too hot out now for just about ANYTHING, especially the brassicas!! 

They'd just swoon in all this heat!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »
Gymgirl it sure was hot this afternoon! At 3pm my ac just could not keep up and the temp slowly climbed in my house. It was so hot when the breeze would stop. That the sun actually hurt! 

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:05:00 PM »
This last week I planted peppers, tomatoes,
broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and green onions.  I grew them from seed and have flats that I will plant later in the next few weeks. I just need to make sure they are watered good for the next few weeks. I do this to stager my crop.
Go with what your doing, but come back later with more plants.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »
I put 40 past tomato seedlings under the patio cover Saturday evening, to start hardening off.  They're still in the 12 oz. cups.  Forgot to water them yesterday, and they all swooned.  I'm this close to tossing them all -- especially cuz I have about the same number of a different variety in the house, still under lights....

I had to trim the broccoli seedlings back to the main stem and maybe 2 leaves each.  They took off in my cool A/C, and the larger ones crowded each other out.  The runts underneath were suffering, so, after I captured all the space back from those tomatoes that went outside, I spread the broccs out and gave the runts a manicure.  Only the strong will survive, but, I'll get great broccolis from them!

The larger broccolis are doing fantastic -- too fantastic...I need it to be cool outside...

Looks like all the broccolis are gonna get planted pretty deep.  I did an experiment a couple years ago with how deep I could transplant them in, and they, and the cabbages did fine going in a little deeper than the soil line.  There is hope.

HAPPY MONDAY, YA'LL!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:02:40 PM »
you'll just be killing plants if you plant broc/cabbage/cauliflower in this heat....cool weather stuff won't do well until it gets cooler....i have plants past time to set out that i am keeping in the shade for at least another week, if the forecast is close....its 97* right now
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
I hear yah, 2010Nationalchamps!

Mine are doing fine inside in the A/C.