Author Topic: It's official. I am now scared $%#@less  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Bcorley

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
It's official. I am now scared $%#@less
« on: February 21, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
Well let's see.  It's February 21.  It's been in the 60's and 70's for several days now.  I crept out into the orchard and yes...bud swell.  Everywhere.  On everything.  If there is a prolonged cold snap now I'm snookered fer sure.  Oh well....happened before I guess.  There's always vegetables and watermelons.  Reckon I better dust off the plow and disc. 

woodchip gardener

Re: It's official. I am now scared $%#@less
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »
wow.  i am sorry to hear that.  here's hoping winter is done for you and your buds live.

Oldude

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
Will the temperature go lower than 28 degrees? It's my understanding that damage is done at that temp and below. Do you use Rally "Myclobutanil" on you trees? I ordered some this year to try to keep brown rot at bay. Gez that stuff is expensive but I can use it on most of my fruit trees.
Good luck

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
    Bcorley...............   What part of the world do you hail from?   I live in central okla.  and my peach trees are starting to bud swell to .  Its way to early here for that to happen.

Rick

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:30:45 AM »
Rick, you'd think those dang trees would learn! This happens every year, the trees bud out way too early and we get a late freeze! I guess they don't have any memory!!! :-[
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »
Well let's see.  It's February 21.  It's been in the 60's and 70's for several days now.  I crept out into the orchard and yes...bud swell.  Everywhere.  On everything.  If there is a prolonged cold snap now I'm snookered fer sure.  Oh well....happened before I guess.  There's always vegetables and watermelons.  Reckon I better dust off the plow and disc.

Where are you located ??
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:18:19 AM »
I am not an expert on fruit trees, but if you have a freeze predicted, could you light up some smudge pots, or even use some 55 gal barrels burning underneath them?
I have seen apple orchards with hundreds of them lit at night in northern Arkansas.
Hope you make it thru the rest of the winter without any frost/freeze loss.

Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.