Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 439127 times)

Online 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #4000 on: July 19, 2019, 04:13:16 PM »
Thats terrible Mr. Horse ! :'( :'(  I wonder if  power surges were the problem?
   One of our freezers is from the 1960's  and has a little light on it's edge to tell if its on. The other 2 are modern and, as an appliance man once told us, won't last anything like the old one  .
  Cleaning out freezers of bad food is a terrible job - I'm sorry you and Mrs Horse had to do that.It's hard on not only the food lost but the leaning over it and hauling as you said- I remember this from Katrina and ours.
  Canning is definitely the way to go so we are slowly emptying the freezers down to a reasonable depth . Then maybe when I have a good garden will use the  new pressure canner I still have in the box , just waiting in the attic for 3 years. . God bless ya'll Mr Horse
canning is definitely the way to go due to several reasons, even if it is more trouble

picked 5 1/2 buckets of tomatoes and a bucket of peas and TRIED to plant 3 more rows but the heat almost got me before i realized it....I was in a bit of trouble, even though i am still a tough,grizzled old bastard, i tried to last longer than i should have....i am old but sometimes i still think i am like i was when i was younger....it don't work like that....i am not picking anything in the morning and should get the peas planted...

vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: July 20, 2019, 03:54:22 AM »
Thank you everyone for the good comments.
Mr Champs, I hope you do slow down and be careful about over doing it in this hot weather.
Mrs Crazyhorse tells me to slow down and I tell her to slow down. I think if helps both of us when this weather is hot. It  is very easy to want to do just a little more before we stop .

The freezers were pretty old , guessing I would say 10-15 years old , the lights were still on and the compressor/motor would come on and run but they  would not freeze.
I had surge protectors on each one.

We can most of our vegetables but also put food in the freezers too.

I hope that all of us  "watch" our freezers more often and maybe avoid the loss of a lot of food in the future.
Thank you all again for the good comments.

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: July 20, 2019, 04:06:03 AM »
Dang, both freezers at once...

My uncle has these freezer thermometers on both of his freezers in the shop and I've been wanting to get it for mine. They work good and it has a low and high setting so you can dial it in any way you like, just remember to check the batteries every few months.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986A2-Refrigerator-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78/ref=asc_df_B004QJVU78/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3420514977182988837&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025290&hvtargid=pla-273908654109&psc=1

Mr Ragun , thank you for the information/links .

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: July 20, 2019, 08:46:45 AM »
Champs.....Yep, I got some of that "over heating" yesterday too.   All of a sudden, my breaths were shorter, so I headed tot he house and the 68 degrees that was waiting.  I actually took my wife over to Rogersville and we cooled off with some SnoCones. :)
I did pick 8 more buckets of tomatoes and am about to begin on the Canning Carnival, Round 2.
This should put us between 80-100 quarts which will set us up for the winter and END my tomato canning for the year. ;D
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: July 20, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Champs.....Yep, I got some of that "over heating" yesterday too.   All of a sudden, my breaths were shorter, so I headed tot he house and the 68 degrees that was waiting.  I actually took my wife over to Rogersville and we cooled off with some SnoCones. :)
I did pick 8 more buckets of tomatoes and am about to begin on the Canning Carnival, Round 2.
This should put us between 80-100 quarts which will set us up for the winter and END my tomato canning for the year. ;D
i used to stay close to rogersville growing up....i have relatives that have places on the river about 3 miles below elk river....i caught a lot of bass and bream there when i was growing up....thinking about that right now and its actually the first time that i looked backwards and wished i could do again....i try to never look back

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: July 20, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
Nat Champs....wow, 80-100 quarts would last us a heap longer than a winter!! I cook a lot ....but I would be turning red in color eating up all that

I sort of like to look back...such carefree days. I remember my husband and I fishing some when we were dating. He did most of the fishing....I mostly just ate bologna sandwiches and twinkies. We caught bass, bream, crappie most of the time....good eats!!!!

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: July 20, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Nat Champs....wow, 80-100 quarts would last us a heap longer than a winter!! I cook a lot ....but I would be turning red in color eating up all that

I sort of like to look back...such carefree days. I remember my husband and I fishing some when we were dating. He did most of the fishing....I mostly just ate bologna sandwiches and twinkies. We caught bass, bream, crappie most of the time....good eats!!!!
we drink a lot of tomato juice...my wife put up 234 quarts last year....we are kinda' preppers....we have a large supply of food and water, guns and ammo....the time is coming, not if but when

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: July 20, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
Just loaded the All American and the Water Bath so my total for today will be 42 quarts.   And it was funny this morning....while making a run out to my shop for jars, my neighbor across the field was walking his fence, and not knowing what I was about to do, asked me if I needed any tomatoes.
I just said "Larry, I'm ok, but thank you for the offer..."
I did later explain the canning to which he took back his offer with a laugh.
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: July 20, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »

Nat champ....I used to keep more stocked around here than I do now....think I got fatigued with it. Bet we could only go maybe a month right now on food and water. We have a friend who lives on 50 acres. He says if we can bring something to the table, we can stay with him in a crisis....he stays stocked up. Hey, we've got lots of the things needed that will really save your life from people trying to steal your stuff!! So he said we have a berth, if everything gets bad. :)

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: July 20, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »
What I lack in canning, I make up for in mega  dried beans and flour. I used those 5 gallon buckets with the screw down rubber sealed lids and so far so good but do keep an eye open for weevils. None yet. I have to be sort of secretive about it because the family really think I am "off the wall" for that many buckets.    Ya'll also need to consider getting one of the well rated" life straws".  Supposed to make ditch water safe but can't attest to it yet - thankfully. Remember not to put all of your eggs in one basket and that loose lips sink ships.aka  never count your cards at the table.   judy
Central Mississippi

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: July 20, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »
Judy....I looked up Lifestraw....sounds great!! Going to get one for all my family members....thanks!

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: July 20, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
 :) You are sure welcome my friend .  :)  judy
Central Mississippi

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: July 21, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »
picked 8 more buckets of tomatoes this morning and my wife canned 12 more quarts while battling vertigo....the tomatoes are relentless and now the giant belgiums are kicking in....they are a pink tomato that backs up to nothing as far as taste goes....i picked a bucket slap full of them that will AVERAGE 1 1/2 lbs!....i just planted them on a lark because i had the seed that are at least 6 years old and i wanted to try to get something for the old time tomato taste....my wife was amazed at how much better they are than the hybrids....non-hybrids just have not done well here for me due to disease issues, but i sprayed these regularly, and put plastic and old carpet at the base of them and no sign of any disease so far....these are some bigass tomatoes, ugly but delicious

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: July 21, 2019, 03:16:13 PM »
Nat Champ....My husband will not eat a pretty tomato....says if it looks pretty, it has no taste. I agree!! He loves the ugly heirlooms I grow. Ha, but try growing them organically with no spray....I deserve some kind of Botanical Trophy for doing so every year!!

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: July 21, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »
Ugly Tomato???   Yep, I have that Heirloom variety called "Ugly-Can't-Cut-It-Into-A-Big-Slice"
These things look like about 6 red/pink golf balls all glued together.   I actually threw away a 5 gallon bucket of them yesterday because I didn't want to pass them on to my wife, who was doing the peeling process out of the ice water bath.  She'd have just thrown them back at me.
They do taste great but are pains to deal with.
Next year will be Better Boy, Arkansas Traveler and Dixie Red, on recommendation of Champs.

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: July 22, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
Ccat - that's a beautiful harvest you got there. What I'm really impressed with is your porch though  ;D
I'm getting a little closer to building a small home out at the farm. As I was showing my kids the plans they laughed and said I had a thousand sq/ft house and 4000 sq/ft of porch. It's not really that much porch but I figure on spending more time outside and on the porch than cooped up in the house.
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: July 22, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
I know I am late, but I picked my first okra today.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: July 22, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
Ugly Tomato???   Yep, I have that Heirloom variety called "Ugly-Can't-Cut-It-Into-A-Big-Slice"
These things look like about 6 red/pink golf balls all glued together.   I actually threw away a 5 gallon bucket of them yesterday because I didn't want to pass them on to my wife, who was doing the peeling process out of the ice water bath.  She'd have just thrown them back at me.
They do taste great but are pains to deal with.
Next year will be Better Boy, Arkansas Traveler and Dixie Red, on recommendation of Champs.
lol, aw hell cat, cut them up and eat them.....i just carried one to a 91 year old man who was the  gardening expert around here for many,many years....a truly wonderful person who gave me the greatest compliment of my life last year and didn't even realize it.....he gave me my first big beef to try after we moved back....my wife cut and carved out a watermelon for him, a stargazer....great tasting watermelon, but on the small side, though....i want him to taste the giant belgium and give me his opinion on it.....i'll bet he will say its the best the tomato that he ever ate and thats because its been decades since he ate an open pollinated tomato....crazy at the difference in them.....non-hybrids normally don't do well in these parts due to disease but this year, hell, they are the best looking ones that i have!....go figure

cat, why do you peel tomatoes?....there is a better way, no joke.....we have not peeled a tomato since 2014 and you CANNOT tell yours from ours in looks or taste....my wife fought even trying it for a solid year, then finally gave in when a lady gave her a jar of hers and she ran them through a WIRE STRAINER and found NOT ONE TEENY TINY PIECE of peeling....then she did her first batch like that and proclaimed that she would never peel another damn tomato to can for the rest of her life after she strained hers and found no peelings
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:47:14 PM by 2010 National Champs »

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: July 22, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
2010 National Champs,

So, what's the process for not peeling the tomatoes?
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »
wash them real good, core them and stuff just like you always do, then throw them in a food processor....my wife has a ninja, and she can do, in 2 hours what it used to take all day to do.....we have NEVER found a piece of peel....i built her a little small house to can in, stove,fridge,cabinets,A/C and put a computer out there because she spends most of her time on it while she is canning tomatoes.....cooking them down takes up the time...i am dead serious, this is the way to go with tomatoes