Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 456972 times)

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #4120 on: August 30, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »
Weather says a dry stretch on the way.  Hopefully I'll be able to plant my fall garden in another 3-4 days.  I could use a month of no rain and still be ok.
My "seedlings" are now 2 feet tall in their pots. 
Watson La. 8B

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: August 30, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »
Boudin...we are now promised a dry stretch too for awhile. Good, now I will actually  get mustard greens going...whew!!

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
Picked 33 okra today.  In the past 4 days I have picked enough to fill 2 one gallon zip lock bags of cut up okra.  Going to start picking them small for pickling.  Grand kids love pickled okra.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: September 01, 2019, 04:34:38 PM »
We have been dry for three weeks. I have had to water every day or every other day to get my blue lake beans and cream peas to come up. Yesterday we got a really good rain but it had some straight like winds in excess of 50 mph. Things are a little beat up but I think they'll survive. I have Bella Rosa, big beef and celebrity tomatoes and just noticed a couple of blooms on them. The squash and zucchini are growing fast so hopefully they'll fruit soon too.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: September 02, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »
Didn't do much in the garden today, cut about 20 okra and watered the flat of beets.  This evening I went to water the flat of beets again and saw that 26 out of 162 cells popping out.  Quicker than I thought.

Bob

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: September 03, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »
I think by tomorrow I'll be able to draw up some rows and get my maters planted.
Planted 4 hills of dasher 2 cucumbers yesterday.  Going to try some sugar snaps this fall too, but I can't plant those for a couple weeks. I'll put my mustards and beets in when I put in the peas as it's still mighty mighty hot. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: September 04, 2019, 08:36:31 AM »
Well, it was dry enough to run the tiller through everything and drag up some rows when I got home from work yesterday evening.
I'm planting a smaller area this fall because I'm hauling in some dirt to build up the low end of the garden (the near end in the picture).
Hopefully I can get home in time this evening to get my maters in the ground. 
Watson La. 8B

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: September 04, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »
Watered the garden. >:(

Was considering ripping all the pepper plants that were drooping.  This heat is brutal!!  But, they seemed to have perked up after a looooooooooong drink.  I may cut them back by half this weekend, and see what that'll do for them, going into the cool in about 2-3 more years, LOLOLOL!!!!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: September 04, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »
Picked more okra, found four cantaloupe and a watermelon. Picked 6 bellpeppers.  Beets still coming out, about half of them.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: September 04, 2019, 04:28:53 PM »
Worked around my tomato plants and fertilized them while I was at it. Next I put the cages in place and drove t posts in the ground to hold them and covered the dirt with mulch to keep in the moisture and the weeds out. I hoed around the green beans and started some of the cream peas but the sun got up on me and I decided to do that in the coming days. My English pea seed should be here by Friday and I am going to plant a couple rows of them for my wife. This year I am trying the Lincoln variety.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: September 13, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
Haven't had much time to devote to gardening between work and flying lessons, but I did get my maters and cukes planted.  They are just sitting there not doing much in this smothering heat.  Planting guide says plant sugar snaps 9/15 but I'm afraid if I do, they will croak as soon as they come up.  Think I'm gonna hold off planting anything else until we get a break from these brutal temps.
Watson La. 8B

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »
I  tilled up the garden today - just a handful of passes- because we had a rain (unexpected) last week. It was so hot today, I truly think you could fry an egg on the road- In fact, if I have an egg to waste, I may just try it this week. The air is so hot in my face as I drive the Roxor jeep like farm machine that I think I'll fry one and give to Dixie my work buddy seen in my avatar. .  I won't be planting any greens until the 90's are gone thats for sure.
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: September 14, 2019, 06:25:03 AM »
Judy....it has been shockingly hot here,too. Not the terrible humidity that  I know is where you are, but enough plain ol  heat to make me take great notice....and for so many days,too. Very strange for this time of year here. Just a couple of weeks ago, it felt like Fall had arrived...a full 10 days of loveliness!! Fry that egg and let us know if your pup enjoyed that treat ;).

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: September 16, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
Deep South Homestead over on YouTube has done a series of talk videos on the changing weather patterns, and current growing conditions.

I would recommend starting with his video last week entitled, "I'm Suffering."

In today's video, he dug up sweet potatoes.  You'll be shocked at what he harvested from two 150' rows....

And, it's predicted that harvests will be smaller and smaller in the next years, due to the weather changes.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: September 16, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »
Gymgirl.....my harvest was pretty pathetic this year. However, my friend 30 minutes  from me had the best yr she has ever had.....go figure!!

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
Rabbitprooof and Gymgirl my garden was  a failure this year. Too much flooding in the spring washed off the garden and (rotted seed 2 times) and now is dry.  I will enjoy your recommendation Gymgirl . Thank you  both for the posts.   judy
Central Mississippi

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: September 18, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
After I heard we were getting rain starting Tuesday through this Thursday, I raced outside and worked late Monday night.

I weeded another raised bed, dumped seven 5-gallon buckets of homemade compost to top it off, forked it in, screeded the bed, laid the cattle panels on top to thwart the squirrels, and smiled this morning when I saw all that rain watering that soil!

My hope is to transplant all the broccolis in this weekend, and at least a few more of the tomato plants -- but, only a few...times getting real short, but, the heat is holding on.  All I need is 60 days, LOL!  I might just get 'em at this rate!

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: September 18, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Gymgirl....know y'all need that rain....yay!! We are so dry it is unreal....am using tons of moisturizer everyday.

Judy....so sorry your garden was a bust. That is so disappointing, I know. Mine wasn't a complete bust.. but not far from it!! :(

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: September 18, 2019, 08:34:57 PM »
Rabbitproof,
As of 5:00 pm today we had received 7.17" of rain for yesterday and today. It has been raining so hard since then I would guess another 2-3". Lots of flooded streets in Houston and the surrounding area and I pray it doesn't get in peoples homes again.

Flat ground and ten inches of rain spell trouble for lots of folks. Here you can go from a burn ban to a no wake zone in a day!!

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: September 19, 2019, 05:03:26 AM »
Double B....Perish the thought!! Please, no flood in Houston!!  My brother just got back to Kingwood from a trip....would be awful to come home and start sweating that again.They just moved into their rebuilt home last Dec and their guest home next door has just been completely redone in the last few months....both homes were stripped to the studs. Supposedly he was in a flood proof zone...higher up than the worst flood ever recorded in the San Jacinto river area. However, when they unleashed a reservoir somewhere during the flooding, they got swamped...5 ft of water. in the homes. He had just had a hip replacement and a broken femur bolted back together when the flood came. They had to be rescued from a neighbor's 2 story house by rescue boat....was truly a nightmare. Now he has just had very delicate neck surgery!!!   I repeat....please, perish the thought!!!