Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 179312 times)

Offline Bentcords

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #2320 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
Picked the first Roma beans from the last 3 rows, picked a few more cherry maters. Byron
In the heart of the bluegrass. Frankfort.Ky. Zone 6a

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: September 10, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »
Double B,
Notwithstanding the broccoli and cauliflower, you can sow other cole crop seeds up until ~December 20th, then again in January, up to Martin Luther King Day, January 20th.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »
it's been raining since yesterday, so didn't do much in the garden.  i did run out this morning to pull a couple of the campari toms that were blushing up so they don't split from the rain before they get to full ripe.  i will just leave them on the counter for a few days.

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »
Threw fertilizer into the Tabasco pepper bed, per the Soil Savvy report that says I seriously need nitrogen and potassium in ALL the raised beds...I thinned the peppers over the weekend, taking out ratty branches or ones that looked puny, and left the healthiest ones with buds all over them.  Hopefully, I can bring in this last flush of peppers before the frost.

Basically, I did a slow walk through while I watered and fed everything.  Making mental notes of what to plant where, and how much of anything I can grow this season.  What would ya'll follow the peppers with?  I'm wanna grow mainly beets, collards, carrots, and kale in the fall/winter crop.  I might bite the bullet and make a small raised bed frame to try garlic for the first time.  I'll buy some organic cloves from Whole Paycheck....

Did anyone besides me notice the conspicuous absence of Stinkbugs and nymphs immediately after the Hurricane?  I ran across TWO stinkbugs during my walkabout.  I'm sure there are more, but, certainly not the numbers I saw before the storm...that's a pretty good thing!

Holler! :-* :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: September 12, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
GG, I planted a couple "3 sisters" gardens this year. One on each end of the garden so the corn didn't cross pollinate. Ehe south end of the garden is a little lower, therefore, it stayed wetter and the weeds took over.In the north end, I kept it clean of weeds.
I have lost all the squash and pumpkins in the north end to squash bugs.I have lost NONE of them in the south garden that has grass grown up in it.I think the insects can not find the squash when it is in the middle of grass and weeds as opposed to a perfectly clean, weed free area.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
GG,

Since my garden stayed under three feet of water for four days I haven't seen any stink bugs or leaf footers. Of course I don't have any garden left either >:( Maybe they don't have scuba gear!

I am waiting for mine to get really dry so I can till it under a few days in a row. The weed seeds that floated in are numerous and it is going to take some work to get it into shape again. I plan on planting a couple rows of blue lake green beans to see if they will make before the first frost.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 12, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »
My TPPEPHPs are throwing a new flush of beans in both beds.  Trying to decide whether to leave them alone, or go ahead and rip the beds to prep for the collards and beets. 

I did see at least one squash bug crawling on a bed...Don't want them or the Harlequin bugs attacking the cole crops!  They seem to like the collards , and the broccoli wouldn't be far behind.

Double B,
I'm wondering if the heat will hold out past the end of November, this year.  The weather has been wonky all year, and, I'm thinking it might just get cold by mid-November.  We might have exactly 60 days of heat left...

No shorts for Thanksgiving, LOL!!!

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 12, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
I looked at my garden again today and the ground is just moldy looking of that makes any sense. I went back to cleaning the fences out again. Started a fire and it is still going. Probably five cords of wood in this one fence where the current was so strong. It washed sticks and tied them in knots into the stay tuff wire. I can't mow the pasture or clean up the fence lines until I get all this debris out of there. I am making progress with a large plastic leaf rake and then hauls load over to the burn pile. This ought to keep me busy until the garden dries out.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
I DO understand "moldy looking."  I've been experiencing that same "moldy looking" in my yard for about a month now...the rain didn't help at all....

I'm thinking I need to spray some sort of fungicide over the entire yard.  It looks like rust on my grass... :(

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 12, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »
Mom picked another bushel of Lima beans off of the second row of beans. These shelled out to more than 5 gallon bags full to put in the freezer.  So that is 2 bushel of beans so far an we still have at least one more picking.   I did water the beans because we have not had a soaking rain since July.  Our tomatoes are closing down now due to low night time temps, but there are tons of green tomatoes on the vines yet.  We will probably clear off the garden in a week or two. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
Wow Bill your tomatoes are shutting down so soon ??  Agra Gardener aka Rick called me yesterday to see how we were doing and informed me that they are having a BOOM crop. Dang 2,000 pounds so far and not slowing down yet......   

38 plants and the variety is Champions. Sounds like a knockout plant to me LOL !~!~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 13, 2017, 05:24:23 AM »
Our 35 mater plants have produced a bumper crop, but we don't weigh them, but as a rule we are completely done with maters by Sept 1 st. because the plants looked like we used a flame thrower
on them, but with the extra fertilizer an using copper spray our plants stayed hardy.  The plants are suffering from lack of rain but we have all of the maters we want. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
BB, put a good vegetable plant and the leaf footed and stink bugs will be back within the next few days.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »
Just finished shelling another peck basket of Lima beans so with this picking we will have 11 or 12 gallon bags of beans in the freezer.  We are going to pull the plants in a few days an pick as we go, and we are just now getting enough rain to help things fill out!   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 13, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »
the only thing I planted for fall was a 50' row of Red Russets using some of the smaller taters from the spring harvest. They are coming up to a good stand , we're in a drought  but I've got over 1200 gallons of water in the tote tanks. We're still eating tomatoes and plenty of okra.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 14, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »
Due to limited space in the garden, I improvised. I planted cucumber seed in two 5-gal buckets, then surrounded the buckets with a contraption of fencing wire. If I'd only managed to use duct tape somewhere, I'd have earned my masters degree in hillbilly engineering😉. Afterwards, I stood back and let Mother Nature take her course. So far, so good. The vines are climbing the cage; the bees have found the blooms; and we have cucumber production in progress.  It's actually a good thing I planted the cucumbers this way.  I doubt they would have survived Hurricane Harvey if they'd been in the garden.  Instead, they were in an area relatively protected from the wind, and the buckets kept them above the water and saturated ground. 
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
watered the potatoes, trimmed and watered two of the best remaining tomato plants

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 16, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
Wednesday was a day to plant root crops so I did. I planted beets for the third year in a row and hope this time I get some. The two previous years were a bust. This year I plant pelleted seed hoping that the coating would hold moisture and help them germinate. It sure was easier planting them than plain seeds as they are very visible once they hit the ground which allows for easier spacing. I planted them 2 to 3 inch centers and should have no thinning to do. I planted 4 twenty foot double rows which should equal about 600 plus seeds. If they all come up I will have plenty to share. The variety I planted is Red Ace.
"gene"

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: September 16, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »
dang mr. gene...that is going to be a lot of beets.  i hope they sprout for you.  :)
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »
Got my sallet patch tilled up and  sowed.