Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 194538 times)

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #2340 on: September 17, 2017, 06:12:44 AM »
- Sowed some sweet corn (F1 Incredible), rock melons and cucumbers
- Transplanted 2 zucchini Ronde de Nice that I was growing in my greenhouse
- Transplanted most of my tomatoes, Cherokee Purple, Sputnik and Nyagous
- Planted one avocado seedling in the front yard
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »
Good on you Vince, My plants will have to stay in the pots for a little while yet till the tide goes out & the holes don't fill up as you are digging them.
                   Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 18, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
Nothing ☹️
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 18, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
cut & gave away the okra--picked out three of the best plants and am leaving two pods on each of these for seed--watered the potato row again--probably will till and hill in a few days--watered a couple of tomato plants.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: September 19, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
Plowed my best field today, kind of thinking to get ready for spring, but something about a fresh plowed field makes me want to plant or sow something on it.. maybe some greens or turnips..
anyway smelling the fresh turned soil I remembered as a child running barefoot through the fields after Dad plowed with the mules..  Sucked in a deep long breath, and at least two gnats..  got to remind myself not to do that again..  :D

Al
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:34 AM »
Mr Whisky, I agree.
A fresh plowed field is asking for something to be planted.
Go ahead, sow some turnip greens.

I sowed my sallet patch last Saturday.

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 20, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Plowed my best field today, kind of thinking to get ready for spring, but something about a fresh plowed field makes me want to plant or sow something on it.. maybe some greens or turnips..
anyway smelling the fresh turned soil I remembered as a child running barefoot through the fields after Dad plowed with the mules..  Sucked in a deep long breath, and at least two gnats..  got to remind myself not to do that again..  :D

Al
Now that's just funny right there... ;D
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 22, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
G'day All,
Today was great day & dry for a change , so I cut two trenches across the front paddock to help with the drainage as it is still super sloppy.  Then I turned the three compost piles  & skull dragged 6 logs out to the wood shed & chainsawed them up for splitting into firewood .I fired up the Kontiki kiln & started to make my bio char out of the fruit tree pruinings from the orchard , & before i knew it the sun disappeared & it started to drizzle rain .
                            Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Jason A

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 22, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Yesterday was a a relatively busy day for me with regards to the plots. Planted a row of Zucchini inside the high-tunnel, pruned many tomato plants in high tunnel - tied them to wire mesh support where needed, did some weeding, planted some more beets in the high tunnel and planted buckwheat as a cover crop in one of my open air plots.

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 22, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »
Went to the garden with Sanford and worked on the drip tape system.  Big Randy needs to stop working the tractor in there when Me or Sanford is not there. 

10 bux later and 2 hours it is fixed ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
I hired a guy to go to Knoxville and get me many 40lb bags of mushroom compost and haul it all back to my garden. I will push aside the thick cover of straw going down each row and spread the compost on myself. Used to put compost over the entire garden but got tired of spending money to enrich the walking paths!! After the compost comes the paper and straw and some worms. The only thing I will plant soon is garlic. Am looking forward to having the garden next yr----but been a good rest from it this year. After eating the tasteless tomatoes produced around here, I can hardly wait for my own. Have people forgotten how to grow a decent tomato? Even the ones at the farmer's mkt, produce stands,etc. were tasteless. Usually I eat tomatoes everyday,  but this yr I finally gave up on finding one worth eating. Boy, I can hardly wait til next year for my own. My husband said he dreamed about them the other night !!

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
Looked out the window....

I've put the brakes on the fall/winter garden, to tend to other things.  Plus, I can't squeeze a sheet of paper into either of my freezers, so, no need to rush forward...

I'd like to grow beets & collards to can, cause jars don't go in the freezer.  And, I've discovered that dehydrated kale serves me very, very well, so, that's on the list, too.  Finally, I'd like to throw out the carrot seeds I saved, to hopefully get a bed of the sweetest carrots I've ever tasted.

None of these crops will take up any freezer space.  I figure I have from now to December to throw out seeds, and again from 1/1-1/20/2018 to throw out more seeds.

That's my plan!  I'll be lurking, and monitoring ya'lls progress on your fall/winter gardens, but, won't have any pics to post.  Maybe I'll do some canning pictorials, cause that's what I'll be working on till the springtime.

Hugs!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Lance

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge area
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 26, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »
Have not posted in a year about bye bye to Packman seed. The low low temps last year hurt my last of those  Packman seeded plants.  Spent last two weekends cleaning up around my garden and tilling to plant. Planted by seed Green Magic and Waltham broccoli and plenty of shallots and cabbage. I have  a very big home garden so I was wiped out after.

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: September 27, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
yesterday I planted 25ft row of collard seedlings, but it is so hot I had to cut small oak limbs and stick in the ground beside them so the leaves could shade the plants for a few days. I had knee surgery 2 months ago, this is the only thing I planted in the garden since then. But I have been tending my trays of seedling at the house. Broccoli, collard, and arugula. I have learned a lot about growing/tending plants form seed. In other word I have made a lot of mistakes about container size, watering, sunlight, bugs, ect. But I am too cheap usually to buy at $3.50 a 4/6pack.  Like a little birdie cheep, cheep, cheap. 
Mulch It

Offline Jason A

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 27, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Yesterday I planted some heat "tolerant" spinach, Asian Greens, Cilantro and some more Acorn Squash in the high-tunnel.  Harvested some cucumbers and spaghetti squash. Of course I watered them all. Continued to prune and tie tomatoes. 

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: September 28, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »
Direct seeded sugar snaps, lettuce (5 kinds), broccoli and cabbage (3 kinds). Also planted some spinach seeds to see if they will sprout. Soon to plant the carrots and greens (mustard, and kale)
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Online mbcabinetmaker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Yesterday I planted a row of beets and a row of spinach.  Cut grass until it got to dark to see! :o
Mark

Zone 7B  In the Blue Ridge of Greenville County South Carolina

Raiser of New Zealand White Rabbits and Texas A&M Quail.  For my freezer only!

John Deere 670 with Land Pride 50“ Tiller, Rake, Scrape and Pats Eazy Hitch, Honda F500 Tiller, Honda FRC800 Tiller, Troy Bilt Pro Line Tiller, Hoss and Planet Jr Wheel Hoes and Planter, Hook and Crook Heron, Taylor's Pea Sheller.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 28, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
jason, the pics were nice!  it looks like you got a ton done! 

curtis!  i am happy to see you posting gardening stuff again!  i am looking forward to your updates!

whitestrout, there is nothing wrong with being frugal  :)   you do learn a lot when growing from seed.

mb, good job on the mowing!

i watered the barrels yesterday.  my spinach and broccoli seeds are up and growing.  i have the support up for the spinach already.  once the broccoli plants get some size i will move some to other barrels.  my only large tomato plant (honestly, i can't remember what kind i put in there) is finally getting some ripe toms on it.  i pulled one that was blushed up and it is sitting on the table.  my little one asked already if she could eat it...lol.  she has gotten through most of the cherry toms i pulled.  my volunteer potatoes are coming along.  i am hoping they live until thanksgiving.  my eggplant plant has really bounced back after getting cut back.  i have a couple of flowers on there, so i might get a few more before the frost.

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 28, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
This morning I was able to pick a peach basket full of Jalapeno peppers, about a dozen bell peppers and a good number of cayenne peppers.  I've never pickled any jalapenos but saw some videos of how to do it with a recipe.  I think I may give that a try tomorrow or this weekend.

I would welcome any of your recipes for pickled jalapenos and pepper hot sauce for greens.  I've got some tendergreen mustard greens that are almost ready -- I can't wait for those!

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 28, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
I am going through harvest my peppers next week an I want to pickle some, but I am going to use a refrigerator pickle recipe as I want the only make a quart, but you have to store them in the fridge.  I am also going to dry  some to grind up.   I want the use some of the brine to pickle some radishes just cause I saw a recipe.  J
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer