Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 330217 times)

Offline Jason A

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3220 on: July 13, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
Hey, Jason!

Sure hope you have time to bring in those German Johnsons & Cherokee Purples.  They have a long dtm, yes?  At least 75-90 days, yes?

75 days. I planted July 3rd, that put 75 at around the middle of September. I did the same last year and had a good outcome.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: July 13, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Thanks, Brent!

That really helps.  The first year I ever planted collards (in patented Earthboxes) was the weekend of Thanksgiving break.  As I recall, once they took off, I was harvesting those approximately every 4-5 weeks. 

With this opportunity, I'll start the seedlings indoors every 2 weeks, and have transplants to go in, soon as I take out a spent plant.  This should keep the production going.  And, I'll DEFINITELY keep the bed(s) covered, so the moths don't land to lay eggs on the leaves.  That's a given!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: July 13, 2018, 08:50:14 PM »
cleaning things up---cutting okra--getting lots of tomatoes

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: July 14, 2018, 04:40:59 AM »
I separated and transplanted my Celebrity tomato seedlings into individual containers.  Hoping to put them into the garden the first week of August for the fall garden.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3224 on: July 14, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
Those little tomato plants look very happy in their new digs!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3225 on: July 14, 2018, 07:38:17 AM »
My only 2 ripe tomatoes were absolutely to die for. My Houston brother said they were worth the many miles and hours of driving. HOWEVER.....getting tomatoes on those pathetic plants is slow and tortuous!! What a crazy season!

Online NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: July 14, 2018, 08:01:26 AM »
I'm with you Rabbit - it's been a crazy year for sure.

Orange - the plants are looking good - and thanks - I'm now singing the Red Solo Cup - I'll fill you up song. Guess that will be my song of the day. LOL!!    ;D ;D
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden

Made possible by Zareba electric fence

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: July 14, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
We are having a crazy garden season too.  Some things are going gang busters but tomatoes are very slow an we lost just under half our plants to a new to us disease of canker.  Seems like the tomatoes we are getting are small to, but they are just now starting to get ripe.  In years past we would have been eating tomatoes for 2 weeks by now but that cold spring was to blame for the late planting.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline NavyBob

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: July 15, 2018, 05:41:24 AM »
I cut okra and picked butter beans this morning. 

My butter bean vines are looking a lot better recently with lots of little flowers showing up so I'm optimistic I'll have lots of pods in the near future.  The aphids almost took over but after four applications of soapy water solution they all but disappeared.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: July 15, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
cutting okra---giving away tomatoes----I would like to say I picked this watermelon out of the garden but can't. Teresa's sister and BIL have a farm at Canton Tx. with a large melon patch. This is the third and largest one they've sent us.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »
We got our first peaches off of our 3 year old tree but unfortunately every one had a worm of some kind next to the seed.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: July 15, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
Planted thirtyfour "health kick" tomato seeds this morning. I hope to get about half of them into viable plants for the fall.

I had a funeral to go to this afternoon and didn't get to do much the rest of the day. My best friend passed away from ALS and it happened even sooner than we expected. What a horrible disease.

It is supposed to dry out this week and there is lots of grass to cut, hay to bale and garden to tend to.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: July 15, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »
Finished shelling butter peas, ended up with 4 lb 3 oz of shelled. Had a lot of bug damage about 1 lb. 

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: July 15, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »
Yesterday, I planted the same 34 #Health Kick tomatoes seeds as Double B did.  I'm shadowing him, LOL!

Also sowed #Gretel and #Fairy Tale eggplants.

Got out and watered the swooning pepper plants at 6:30 this morning, for a whole hour...

They looked much better this evening.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: July 16, 2018, 06:08:46 AM »
Gymgirl....Wow have NEVER had to water peppers that long!! My brother who came to see us arrived back to Houston(Kingwood) after a 2 week driving adventure seeing us and other relatives . He is currently still living in an apt while his home is being rebuilt from hurricane Harvey. He walked in the apt and evidently the A/C had broken while he was away. His apt was over 90 degrees!! Can you imagine? Poor guy had driven 12 hours yesterday and bet it took forever to get cool enough to sleep after the maintenance man fixed it. Another one for that pesky Murphy's Law!!

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: July 16, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »
Rabbitproof,
I hand-watered the entire garden in an hour, LOL!!  All the beds and containers got a good drink.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: July 16, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
Ugh!!!!..hate hand watering. Most of mine are on the irrigation system but still have to handwater some....definitely not my favorite thing to do and would croak if it took me an hour!

Offline BigOlButtaBean

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: July 16, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »
Double B I am sorry for your loss. Thats a very rough disease to watch someone suffer through.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: July 16, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »
Brent,
I am so sorry for the loss of your best friend.  So far, I have been blessed to have both my very best friends, and dread the day one of them is called home.

Please know that your pain is being felt.  I will pray for the healing of your heart, and, for God to fill the space your friend was in.

Linda

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
Double B----just now reading your post. So terribly sorry about your friend. Late last Feb an old  and good friend of ours  announced he had ALS diagnosed in Jan and had waited a month before telling anyone.....and he died on March 12. Was such a shock to us all!! That is truly an awful disease and so sorry for your loss.