Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 349068 times)

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3400 on: September 09, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
Wonderful looking "mess" of peas, for sure. I am picking for one last round of fresh peas and then will let them go dry from here on out to jar up for the winter. Always so glad to have them in the wintertime.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 09, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
Cut the yard, and started consolidating old potting mix, to refresh planters.
Sifted another wheelbarrow-full of compost, better than the first batch.

It's still too hot out for my liking, so starting seeds indoors for transplanting. Will start new batches over several weeks, to succession plant all season.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 10, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Bobby wants me to keep on picking fresh crowders to cook and not just let them dry to jar up. Ha...let me get this straight. I am the one who prepares the soil, plants, puts up the fencing for them to crawl on, waters, picks daily, shells them(by hand), and cooks them. Let's see, what does Bobby do....oh, that's right, he eats them! Guess who is going to win this argument! We have had many. many weeks of  fresh crowder peas. I have done my due diligence in this matter!!

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »
 all week I've hoed the garden to get rid of the summer weeds.  Getting close to the time to plant greens seedling, collards, kale, broccoli, cilantro.  the seedlings were started last month but they look like crap, weak, - scrawny. Hope I don't have to buy Bonnie's. I think I gave them too much sun when they were young. Ragun G. the tomatoes are up three feet plus and are blooming, but have not set fruit yet.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 11, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
Uh,
Bobby only wins that argument because you LET him win...  ;)
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: September 11, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
Ha, Gymgirl.....I meant that  I was going to win the argument...since I was the one who had to do all the work!  I think he loves fresh crowder peas even better than I do....and THAT is saying something!! He will be delighted,though, to get many meals from the dried in the dreary winter time ;D

Online ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 11, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »
Did nothing to my garden today except notice the 5 pounds of GroundHog Radish, 4 pounds of Rape and 2 pounds of Turnips are UP and man-o-man, they are thick......
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 12, 2018, 03:43:30 PM »
Just got back from the garden picking tomatoes.  We lost some more plants to canker which some of our best producing plants.  My brother got a couple of barrels 1/2 full of rabbit manure an water, an the tomatoes were planted over that manure an we are thinking that is how we got a new pathogen in the garden.  The tomatoes won't be planted anywhere near this area next year so with some luck this will be a one year ordeal.  All in all we have lost over half of our tomato plants but we still managed to put away all that we wanted an are now sharing the bounty for probably a few more weeks.  The tomatoes were not the prettiest as we had a really dry early season an then 3 inches of rain so a lot of tomatoes cracked an that cycle has repeated itself over an over this season.  We have also had a fair amount of bug damage this season. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Texan

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 13, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
Here is my only “project” right now. Heat and lack of rain ended the garden long ago.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 14, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Texan,
Are those onions?  They sure look healthy.

And, that's a VERY nice light kit you have there!  I would keep that light 1-2" above their heads, though...

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 14, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »
So, the seeds I started Sunday night were up two days ago.  Shoved the tray under the lights, and gave them some VERY, VERY, VERY week T13.

I started some collard seeds I saved back in 2014, just to see if they'd germinate.  So far, so good!

Kale, Collards, and ONE Summer Zucchini (just to see how hot it will stay outdoors, and for how long, LOL!)

Online Texan

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 14, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
Texan,
Are those onions?  They sure look healthy.

And, that's a VERY nice light kit you have there!  I would keep that light 1-2" above their heads, though...

Yeah, that’s an oz of 1015 onions. I planted about 1000 transplants last year. Trying seeds this year. First time.

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3412 on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
Wow Texan that is a lot of onions.
I start mine the same way.
Nice set up for your seedling rack.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: September 14, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Finally have enough peppers sliced for the freezer to last  thru next April for our purposes. All peppers from this point on go to my neighbor across the street....he just loves jalapeno's. He is the Jalapeno Popper King of the neighborhood! Plus he loves to cook in general and uses for other recipes,too. If they keep producing well, he will have enough to freeze some,too. Now have a humongous pile of dried crowders to jar up.....on the agenda for next week.....still steadily producing so hopefully will have many of those. Tomatoes still going pretty strong but starting to get smaller in size....were so terribly slow to start but have actually done quite well. Should get a good,needed rain from the hurricane on Sunday....hope so!

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: September 14, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »
Rabbit Rob posted a recipe a couple of months ago about hot pepper salt, an I am on my 3rd batch as it makes a really nice gift.  I use jalapeno an just cut off the stem, an the rest go in the food processor to be chopped pretty fine (28 one batch an 34 second batch) then add 1 cup of sea salt an blitz again to mix everything up.  I then spread everything on a cookie sheet an put in a low temp oven for an hour or so to dry out the juice.  Add it to popcorn, baked potatoes, an anything you need to salt.  Just another way to preserve the garden bounty. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: September 15, 2018, 05:29:10 AM »
Gopher....Oh, yes....I remember reading that post awhile back. I may have even saved it . Boy it is bad when one forgets what they have saved. I need to keep reviewing my recipe archives on a MORE regular basis.  Thank you so much for the reminder....I will try it for sure!!

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: September 15, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
So far I've plowed down the buckwheat, picked a few peas for lunch, plowed down a lot of weeds well the spring flower garden, Wow it sure smelled good with all the herbs in there got chopped up..
right now I am working on a couple of wide beds for carrots and beets..  just in to cool off a little before laying off the beds..  See ya in the garden..  Al
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: September 19, 2018, 04:45:48 AM »
The Fall, Celebrity tomatoes are starting to set fruit.  It's a good day in the garden.

Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: September 19, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
Congratulations Orange!! I was putting the fertilizer down and working around my tomatoes yesterday and noticed a couple of blooms but it was 94 degrees with high humidity so I think it will be a while before I have any on my plants. I did notice one green bean about three inches long on the blue lakes. Hopefully it will cool down soon and they will all load up with fruit. The edamame has beans in the pods but they just need more time to fill out.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: September 19, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »
Orange ---- I'm so jealous!  Is the plant a new plant or is it from the spring?  How are you fertilizing it?