Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 355479 times)

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3480 on: October 10, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »
Pulled up the edamame plants and picked the soybeans off of them in the shade. I steamed a big batch for an appetizer last evening, blanched and froze the rest. This was my first time to have a harvest from them and will plant again in the future. The tomato plants are growing and loading up with blooms but still have no fruit on them. Hopefully with the cooler temps now they will set fruit. Supposedly we will have our temps in the lower to mid 80's for the foreseeable future. Even some nighttime temps in the upper 50's!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 10, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »

Dug the peanuts
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:13 PM »
Mom (mostly) an I picked the pepper plants clean as the weatherman says it will get into the mid 30's tonight.   We had 2 hot Hungarian wax pepper plants which probably produced a bushel of peppers this season, an between the 2 of them we filled a peck basket to overflowing.  There were 6 or 8 bell pepper plants which we picked clean a few weeks ago an mom filled a 5 gallon bucket off of those plants.
Mom also picked a peck of tomatoes to finish ripening in the basement.  All things considered this was a very odd garden season but in the end we had way more than we could use for the family an we gave away heaps of produce. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: October 11, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
We had a 50' row of peanuts, here's Jewel showing off a couple of vines. I like to cure them out the old fashion way. I dedicate this peanut shock to my friend Ben.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: October 11, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
Looks like a great peanut harvest, Mr. Monroe and also Bill and his Mom have done well. I picked a small batch of blue lake green beans and now have 4 jars of them (pints) in the pressure canner. We should have enough to see us through the winter here as well. It was kind of an odd year but like Bill, we are thankful for a good harvest.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: October 11, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
Mom (mostly) an I picked the pepper plants clean as the weatherman says it will get into the mid 30's tonight.   We had 2 hot Hungarian wax pepper plants which probably produced a bushel of peppers this season, an between the 2 of them we filled a peck basket to overflowing.  There were 6 or 8 bell pepper plants which we picked clean a few weeks ago an mom filled a 5 gallon bucket off of those plants.
Mom also picked a peck of tomatoes to finish ripening in the basement.  All things considered this was a very odd garden season but in the end we had way more than we could use for the family an we gave away heaps of produce.

Bill, Did you save any seed of those Hungarian hot wax peppers? If so, can I beat you out of some? I bought banana peppers that were only marked as hot banana. Those are not fun! I won't be keeping seed from them. I need to get back to what you have. We used to raise them and as life goes we lost the seed somehow. Sure like to raise them again. The heat of them was just right for us.
Thanks in advance either way!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 11, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
Ok Wade I will need a primer on saving seeds so that they will be good next season as that is something I have never done before.  I will pull out a few of the biggest to save the seed. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: October 11, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Throw them on a paper plate for a week and mail'em.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: October 11, 2018, 09:30:18 PM »
Bill, what I normally do with tomatoes and peppers is put them in a small container with warm water. Let them sit in it for 5-6 days. They are fermenting which reduces the soft matter around the seed. Then I rinse them and put on a paper plate or towel to let dry.

All that really isn't necessary for you to do because They will be fine to just send as Ragun said. I can always play with them here at home anyway.
Thanks,
Wade

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: October 12, 2018, 09:56:48 AM »
Ok I will pick out a couple big ones an get my paper plate ready.  Sometime this next week send me a pm with your address. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »
This is the LOVE/HATE relationship season.

I LOVE that the weather is changing, and all the southern gardeners are out busy sowing seeds and planting their fall/winter gardens.  :-* :-*

I HATE that all the southern gardeners are out busy sowing seeds and planting their fall/winter gardens, cause there's not a lot of "conversating" going on in the forum, LOL!!!  :'( :'(

Guess I'd better get out into the garden!  :-* :-*

230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »
Thanks Bill. PM sent.
Wade

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #3492 on: October 12, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
Yesterday Jace and I planted the Red Creole onion seeds.  Tried to space them out best we could so I donít have to transplant them later on. 

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: October 13, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »
Tilled the garden with the tractor .. On last pass, hooked the water hose I was too lazy to move and so not only ruined most of the hose but broke off the pvc in the ground.. Then the glue had dried up even though stored upside down.  BUT-  I had put a cut off in the ground there that I had forgotten about.   so many blessings today.  :) :)  judy
Central Mississippi

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: October 13, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
"Murphy" never takes a day off! Sorry you had that kind of day. I've had many.
Wade

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: October 13, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »
1shot, :)  at least the break was above the cutoff. It made me so happy  when I dug down thru the mud and found that beautiful little
 pvc twist handle.   I  then  realized just why I  had added that  "cut off" so many years ago.  :)  There are no coincidences :) . I held my arms up and said thank You! thank You!   :) :) :)  judy
Central Mississippi

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 14, 2018, 01:06:15 AM »
Amen!

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 14, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
Pulled up the edamame plants and picked the soybeans off of them in the shade.
I have never had soybeans but would like to try growing them next year.  On Netflix there is a new cooking show Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.  They showed them making misogynistic and soy sauce.  The fermentation for soy sauce looked similar to fermenting sour beers.  I sure would like to try an make a soy sauce.

The acid episode is some Mexican dishes made with sour oranges.  I'm just so happen to be in mexico (not by choice) and have been looking for escabeche but have not found any.

Glad you had that shut off valve bordercollie.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:52:55 AM by jimmiec »
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 14, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »
Judy, I did something similar about 3 weeks ago.  Doing plant a row skip a row so I laid my new main line for drip tape on the end of the row so I could match  the center of the row with the valve on the main line.  Thought I had raised the tiller high enough.  Amazing how fast that line can roll up in the tiller.  Never once ran water trough that line.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:29:10 PM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 14, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
I started the seed late, and by the time I transplanted the Fairy Tale eggplant, we hit a stretch of unseasonably wet, rainy weather. Yet, in spite of my procrastination and Mother Natureís oneryness, the plants are starting to produce. Fingers crossed that I get a few of the fruit before the first frost, typically toward the end of November.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:52:28 PM by OrangeTxn »
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.