Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 383990 times)

Online Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3640 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
Boudin, my tiller is 5' I'm going to use the beds it has made which is six. This is my first year to do gardening like this. I could have more rows but this way I can keep a cleaner garden with less work. Thank you for your interest I wish I could remember how many rows I used to plant when my garden was larger.

Monroe

Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:37 AM »
Built 2 raised beds out of 2x6.  Both are 8 foot x 3 foot.  I also went by a dirt and mulch place where I bought a yard of dirt for $32.00 (pretty good deal). Filled up both beds with dirt and sowed 3 types of lettuce, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions and beets.  Also sowed a bunch of herbs in a bed closer to the house.  It's only February but I can feel Spring right around the corner.
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8

Online Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: February 07, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
Boudin, my tiller is 5' I'm going to use the beds it has made which is six. This is my first year to do gardening like this. I could have more rows but this way I can keep a cleaner garden with less work. Thank you for your interest I wish I could remember how many rows I used to plant when my garden was larger.

Monroe

Thanks Monroe,

I was thinking about 6 rows myself.  I like the idea of having a good bit of space between rows so that stuff like peas that sprawl a little bit don't fill up the entire middle to the point where you have to tromp through them.  And you can always double up on stuff that grows more compactly.

Online Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: February 07, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
I have a cultivator that  should work very well between the rows. This is a tool I bought & then wondered why after I used it.

Online Rcs1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:04 PM »
Changed the plates on the front of my disc to notched ones and added a log to drag behind it the garden was wet but tried it anyway and works a lot better

Online OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: February 09, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »
Harvested the first cabbage today.  With a little Italian sausage, it will become soup tonight  :D

Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: February 10, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
OrangeTxn That looks great, hope you had a good diner. When did you plant those?  I put mine out the first of November and they havenít started forming heads yet.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:52:10 AM by Dwight Hebert »

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: February 10, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
Orangetx....that looks beautiful!! Enjoy that soup!

Online OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:06 PM »
Dwight - If I remember correctly, I transplanted my seedlings into the garden around the first week of November. 

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
Orangetxn,

That is a beauty!  Unfortunately, it hasn't been consistently cold enough for my EJW cabbages to make heads.  They're leafing out nicely, but, I don't think there's enough winter ahead for them to make heads.  And, I'm about to need that real estate to transplant in some green beans.

I'm following a rotation that goes something like this:  ROOTS ► FRUITS ► BEANS ► GREENS.

So, that would put either beets or beans after those cabbages!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »
Yesterday-I mowed a little grass (where I could push the mower without it sinking), used the weedeater here and there.  Fertilized the broccoli and cabbage that was planted WAY late.  Fed the darn birds-the finches are Pigs! Hoed a few weeds, started some cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.  Loving the warm-for 2 days- :-\
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Online Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »
We were fortunate enough to dodge rain twice last week, so I was able to get a truckload of topsoil dumped and I was able to spread it on the new garden spot. 
It's still really soft in some places, but at least it's there and I'll be ready to till whenever it finally dries up.  Hopefully sometime the first few weeks in march (fingers crossed).  Oh, and I bought a tractor... lol

Online Rcs1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: February 11, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »
Nothing it rains every other day or at night if you go into the garden you sink about five inches people have lakes in there fields

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: February 11, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »
  Oh, and I bought a tractor... lol

Congrats!!!!   That's a game changer and expect the garden to get bigger.

Online Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:41 AM »
Congrats!!!!   That's a game changer and expect the garden to get bigger.
[/quote]

Thanks!  I've been borrowing my brother in law's big Kubota.  Even though it's way too big for my needs, it convinced me that I couldn't live without a tractor anymore.  I found a little 25 horse used Mahindra that should do just fine on my little place.  I'm already considering taking out a couple trees to make more garden room...lol

Online Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
I wanted to open a furrow & plant taters , but too wet so I did some fence repairs in the dog yard.

Monroe

Online OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: February 18, 2019, 06:12:43 AM »
Spring is rapidly arriving in my zone 9a area.  For the sake of curiosity, I checked the soil temp in my garden at a 4 inch depth. It's still a cool 63 degrees.  Looks like I'll wait another week or two, then test again before I transplant any tomato seedlings. 

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: February 18, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »
OrangeTxn,
I'm sweating bullets over here, because my seedlings need to be transplanted, LAST WEEKEND!!!

I'm afraid they're getting root bound in the yogurt cups, although, I haven't seen any roots poking out the bottom.  But, some of the bottom leaves have collapsed and shriveled up, though the tops of the plants all look like tiny trees. 

All in all, they're doing very well, but, the threat of rain all week puts my hardening off process back, yet another week... I need it dry and sunny for hardening off.  Don't wanna put them out in this drizzerable weather, and chance setting up fungus before they even go into the garden...

On another note, I harvested beets, collards, kale, broccoli and grapefruits and delivered them all to friends and family.  I felt like the H-E-B Produce Department Uber Driver!!!  When it was sitting on the table in bags, it struck me that I hadn't spent a dime, and there was FOOD!  That sure felt good!

230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
Gymgirl,

I'm right there with you on the need to put my transplants into the garden.  After this week's rain and cool spell passes, I'm going to get down on my knees and say a prayer for sunny skies.  I've planted Black Krims in cool soil temp's before, and they don't seem to mind, but my humble understanding is that warmer temp's encourage better/faster root growth.

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: Today at 07:50:37 AM »
Collards are starting to bolt so we put up 7 qt. bags of blanched greens in the freezer for the summer. Seems like a lot of work.  You have to CLEAN the kitchen, cut the plant, CLEAN the leaves, blanche the leaves, ice bath the leaves, bag the leaves, do the next batch of leaves, and at the end CLEAN the pots, bowls, utensils, and kitchen again. But I really do miss the greens in summertime. And you do end up with a CLEAN kitchen. IT's a good thing.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.