Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 428411 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3740 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
Maggie13,

I need a falling on the floor, crying laughing emoji here, please.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: April 15, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
I did some shovel work trying to improve the drainage of my new garden plot.  It doesn't drain exactly like I thought it would.
I'm in that honeymoon period after everything is planted, but the weeds haven't started trying to take over yet.  I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
Watson La. 8B

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3742 on: April 15, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »

UGH....what a surprise!!!  Glad it was a racer!

Me too!

I got one for you Gymgirl !

Maggie13,

I need a falling on the floor, crying laughing emoji here,
 please.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:38:57 AM by Maggie13 »
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: April 15, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
Girl,
I just absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you!!!

Thanks!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
Closest I've ever gotten to the wildlife was pulling a dead mouse out of a tennis shoe once.  I thought there was a sock footie lodged in the toe of my shoe.

I was a teenager.  And ran through the house screaming like A GIRL!!!!!

There's NO garden activity going on at my place.  Not even clean-up. 

I rolled over to get outta bed at my sister's last Monday, and wrenched my back, but, good!!!

Was up and down in pain all of last week.  By Saturday, I was able to move with just a little bit of pain. 

Took enough pain killers to be loopy.  But, feeling like new paper dollar today.

'Course, I almost pulled it again, yesterday, jumping up as Tiger sank that final hole at Augusta!!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:17:40 PM by Gymgirl »

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: April 16, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
It has dried up enough for me to walk out into the garden and check on my Blue Lake bush beans.  They seem to be no worse for wear after all the bad weather last weekend.  I took a walk down the row and filled in the thin places with some new seeds.  I've got 100 ft of these things planted.  Hoping to make enough for us and the family to eat our fill, and put up a good number of jars. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline NavyBob

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: April 16, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
I cleaned up around a trellis and between the trellis and fence where I will grow Asian long beans.  The seeds were planted in pots a couple weeks ago so plants are starting to pop up.

I'm off to a bit of a slow start this spring with some bad weather and a little bit of laziness.  :-[

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
I set out 21 tomato plants, 14 bell peppers, and 14 jalapenos today. It may have been a touch wet, but I had to get started this year. 

Oh...I almost forgot! I put 12 tomato plants in larger pots to send to a friend a church.

~~VG

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: April 18, 2019, 04:15:46 AM »
My wife & I set out 16 Better Boy maters .

I fertilized the yard, flowers, shrubs  & etc.

Also did a little pruning.

It sure does feel good to work in the garden a little.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3749 on: April 20, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
Girl,
I just absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you!!!

Thanks!

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3750 on: April 24, 2019, 07:15:16 AM »
Planted  2 rows 35 ft. long of pink eye purple hull peas. I hope it is enough to feed two families.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: April 24, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
Whitestrout,
How close do you plant your Purple Hull peas in the row?  I can do two 32 sq ft beds to = your two rows.  Last time I planted them 4-6" apart, in each direction.  I got a fair return, but, think I could do a whole lot better.

The plants just never really looked healthy, for some reason.  Maybe I needed to fertilize, at least a little bit?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:14:28 PM by Gymgirl »

Online ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: April 24, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »
FINALLY got to plant in the garden.   I have had onions, spuds and beans in for weeks, but today was the day I targeted as GO DAY with rain tomorrow.
Spread in some 13-13-13, tilled and drew my rows.
Planted 2 rows (120' each) of Purple Hulls, 30' of squash, 30' of pickling cukes, and 30' of straight 8's.
3 rows (120' each) of Peaches and Cream corn.
Two 120' rows of Clemson Spinless Okra.
Planted 80' of Jubilee watermelons, and 40' of Aphrodite Cantaloupes.
Tomorrow before the rain, I'll plant a bunch of Sunflower, some more cukes and then do my rain dance to water it all in.
I'll get my toms and peppers in next week.    They are just still too small under the lights to face the world yet.  I'll start hardening them off this weekend in the greenhouse.
Good luck All with this years' gardens
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: April 25, 2019, 07:01:10 AM »
Gyngirl, My rows are wide and flat, only 3-4 inches higher than the walkpath. They are about 16 inches wide, so I run a planting down each side. I used a seeder for the first time,(wrong setting, lesson learned) and it put too many seeds in the ground. I will thin them to about 10 inches apart up the side, staggered diagonally across the row, so each plant gets as much room as possible. I don't like the plants overcrowded, it makes picking harder. the plants get damaged more trying to untangle to get the hulls. I will give the them a small shot of nitrogen and potassium when the second set of true leaves come out, to spur growth but mostly be gone at fruit set time.
    ccat, WOW! that is a truly impressive amount to plant. I hope you get that nice slow soaking rain.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: April 25, 2019, 02:24:57 PM »
Yesterday evening,
I raced home before the predicted THUNDERSTORMS THAT NEVER CAME, and poked as many Kentucky Blue Lake and Bush Contender green beans as I could into empty raised bed spaces, before it started drizzling and it got dark...

This morning it occurred to me that, in my haste, I had not amended any planting area with some T13 fertilizer and compost.  However, it rained just enough to moisten the beds, and give me a head start on watering this weekend.  And, there will be some nitrogen captured from the rain.

At what point can I go back with some T13, since I can't disturb the seeds now?  Also, I'll need to work some compost into the soil around each seedling.  Very carefully...

Shoot...

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
GG, you can spread that fertilizer right now as long as you cover it with a very fine layer of leaves. Then wet it down so it will get absorbed into the soil. What you don't want to do is top dress and leave it open to the air as much of it, especially nitrogen, will escape in the atmosphere.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: April 25, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »
Wade,
Thanks for the comeback!

I have a whole trashcan of finely mulched pecan leaves I can cover the bed with after I sprinkle and moisten the fertilizer.  I'm thinking you said "fine" layer, so the leaf matter doesn't end up sucking out all the available nitrogen, to break itself down, yes?

I do also have some 20-0-0 I could add (in a very small amount).  Or, should I stay away from that right now?

Thanks, again!

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: April 25, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
Tripple 13 is more than adequate! You're putting in beans so there is no need to add nitrogen.

As a cover, you could also use a sheet of plastic. Actually, anything to keep the nitrogen from becoming airborne.  If you want to put a couple inches of leaf mold on top I wouldn't think it would hurt a thing. All you are doing by that is making a better seal between the soil and the air, and adding insulating value to keep in the moisture and keep the ground temperature lower than the air temps.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: April 25, 2019, 07:03:34 PM »
Yesterday I built a rooting bed.. an old kiddie wading pool.. and a scoop of garden dirt..
under a large old oak tree..  we about filled it up yesterday with roses, azaleas, and all sorts of plants, today I added Leland cypress to it and now its full..  I may need another one..  but usually I don't have the patients to wait for roots, I have tried it in the garden and it was in the way and I plowed them up..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: April 27, 2019, 03:15:59 AM »
I harvested some olives and my son Jake and I preserved them in brine this afternoon. They should be ready to eat in about 2 months.

1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia