Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 429995 times)

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3820 on: May 14, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the info gene. I think I will try that on the next planting.   Rabbit, no running, jogging, squatting, jumping, treeclimbing, or even fast walking. I sure miss those activities. But I should be mighty grateful for what I can do, and I am.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:56 AM »
Had to bust out the Sevin today.  Was finally able to get back in the garden after the latest monsoon and found one of my maters absolutely covered in aphids.  Just one, right in the middle of the row. I hate it when you can't get out in the garden for days at a time, it gets out of control so fast.  Some of the maters, peppers and squash on the low end of the garden are showing signs of stress from being half drowned.  Hopefully they make it.  After the spring garden goes out, I'm bringing in two more dumptruck loads of topsoil in to build up that end along with some ditching that should help a lot.  On the plus side the green beans are absolutely covered in blooms so it shouldn't be too long before I'm enjoying some snaps. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: May 14, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »
I feel your pain Boudin. We had over nine inches  of rain last week and half of my green beans are showing signs of stress and now what looks like sunscald is setting in on lots of them. They are all covered in blooms and small beans so like you, I hope to at least make enough to eat fresh and can. They were the nicest beans I had ever grown up until a week ago. This gardening isn't for the faint of heart :-[
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:32:00 AM by Double B »
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: May 14, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »
It's an emotional roller coaster... lol ;D
Watson La. 8B

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: May 15, 2019, 04:15:05 AM »
Mr Boudin, I agree with that statement. :-\ ???

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3825 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
Looking at your posts re: what all this rain has done to your gardens, to date, makes me grateful that I've started so much later than ya'll, only by accident. 

Remember, I've been in garden clean-up mode since pulling the fall/wtr. crop early last month, and only recently decided I could put a few things into the ground.  I sowed the lateral 1/2 of a 4x8' RB about 3 weeks ago with #Contender Green Beans, which are standing about 8-9", looking like a tiny line of trees.  Since then, I filled in the rest of that bed.  These are standing 3-4" tall, and growing fast.

Had to tuck in that second sowing again, cuz the squirrels didn't get the memo about not burying pecans there, anymore.  Mr. Peabody (the Owl) seems to be helping keep them outta there, for now.  I've noticed, once the plants come up to a nice size, the squirrels move on to a bare spot somewhere else...

To date, I've got three RBs sowed with green beans.  RB #8 with #Contender Green Beans, RB #3 with #Kentucky Blue Lakes and RB #5 with #Contender Green Beans (about 2/3 of the bed), and #KY Blue Lakes (forgot I had sowed these first)...

I have 2 RBs left to sow #OKRA SEEDS!!!  I'm a little excited because my first attempt at growing okra didn't go quite as planned.  I'd like to harvest enough at a time to make a good batch to work with (either cooking or freezing). Now that I've learned more about the crop, I'm gonna give it another, more informed shot.

I'd still appreciate hearing how ya'll freeze okra.  I've got pods in the freezer from the first time I grew them, and, I'm not at all sure they're good, because of how I stored them. 

LMK, ya'll!

P.S. There were mushrooms growing everywhere in RB #5. I pulled the cabbage and kale stems, and there was a fungal system under each root system.  It looked like white ash.  I believe this was the good stuff, which is why the 'shrooms were taking off.  I believe this is a good thing. 

I tried to be as careful as I could, pulling the stems out, to not disturb the soil, too much.  Then, I went right back into that soil web with the #Contender Green Beans.  I'll know in a minute if they like the soil web system as much as the 'shrooms do!   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:31:31 PM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: May 17, 2019, 09:59:42 AM »
If there was ever a year to start late this was probably it!  Good luck with the green beans, Im sure they will take off.
Mine are just putting on baby beans.  I can't wait for the first picking.  I think I'm going to start some okra soon in pots to put in their place when they give out in a couple months. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:11 PM »
Thanks, Boudin!

I need to start some okra, too.  I remember a discussion awhile back about the spacing being about 2' apart, yes?

I have three 4x8' Raised Beds available for okra, so, I'm hoping for about 12 plants.

Which variety are you going with?
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: May 17, 2019, 02:30:22 PM »
I'm going to try the Louisiana green velvet this year.  I've done cowhorn in the past, but I've heard good reports on the LGV and I was lucky enough to find seed at my local nursery.  2' spacing is about right.  I used to do 1'  but that's just too darn tight, even though that's what my planting guide says. 
Watson La. 8B

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: May 17, 2019, 04:17:23 PM »
Thanks, Boudin!

Also, I just read that okra likes heavy nitrogen and potassium.  Any feedback on this?

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3830 on: May 18, 2019, 05:24:52 AM »
The Black Krim tomatoes are reaching baseball size. It wonít be long before BLTís are on the menu 👍🏻🍅🥓🍞

They are beautiful!
I am several weeks away from even spotting my first one.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 18, 2019, 11:51:52 AM »
Even though the floods of last week damaged the south end of my green beans, I managed to pick a half bushel of blue lake green beans this morning. I've got them washed and will be snapping and canning soon. I feel very blessed with this harvest as it is my wife's favorite of all the veggies we grow.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:53:54 AM by Double B »
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 18, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
Good looking beans Double B. I hope mine look that good.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 19, 2019, 03:33:35 AM »
2 X what Mr DB said.

Mr BB, Blue Lake green beans are  my favorite too. Taste good and easy to work up.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 19, 2019, 07:44:15 AM »
We had a big pot of them with our supper last night and they made the meal. Nothing beats fresh from the garden, ever! The blue lakes are by far the best we have ever grown. I had never raised them until I started reading this site and Mr. Donald and others had recommended them. It would be hard to go back to contenders or Kentucky Wonders for me.

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: May 19, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »
Thinned the okra, cultivated the okra and tomatoes, and put on the first weave one about 40' of toms.
I also started laying the drip tape to the tomatoes and will finish them and the rest of the garden tomorrow.
Got a shower this afternoon that just settled the dust.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
Brent,
Those look great!  I'm growing a bed of Kentucky Blue Lakes, and two beds of Contenders.  It'll be nice to have a comparison!  I've grown the Strike green beans before, and got a few Contenders that same season.  I prefer the bolder taste of the Contenders.  The Strikes were much too mild for my buds.  I'm told the Blue Lakes are just like the ones in the can. 

Take us along as you can up your green beans, please.

P.S.  How long was it from your sowing to this weekend's harvest?  I sowed my first 1/2 bed of Contenders on April 27th and the other half May 6th.  I believe they're a 50-60 day crop, yes?  I have a nice stand, and, looks like they're about to put on some blossoms. 

The 2nd and 3rd beds just peeped over this past weekend, so, It'll be awhile.  Didn't wanna get overwhelmed with green beans all at once, so, staggered the sowing.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »
Here're some pics from yesterday, May 19, 2019:

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 20, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
Ordered 3500' of Drip Tape, which just came in.   Started the application and got 17 rows installed.
I opted for shut-off valves at the head of each row, so I can pump fertilizer thru the lines and shut off PHP's and beans to the fert.
Did a 2 hour test run late this afternoon and ran 4 scoops of MG thru it and even fed the peas and beans, as they are still small.
I shut off the corn lines and will apply some 34-0-0 to it tomorrow, pull up come dirt and water for several hours.  I bet the corn will really like this little feeding.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 21, 2019, 08:21:58 AM »
Thanks, Boudin!

Also, I just read that okra likes heavy nitrogen and potassium.  Any feedback on this?

I normally pre-plant and side dress with trip 13 about every 30 days.  This may not be the optimal formula for Okra, but I always have it on hand it seems to work fine.
Watson La. 8B