Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 456970 times)

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #3960 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Bush hogged, plowed, and then scattered some millet and sunflowers this past weekend in the hopes of attracting a few doves when the season rolls around. I'm kind of late starting this but I figure if nothing else, when tilled under it will make good compost/green manure. I was informed, after I spread the seed of course, that millet may become invasive and hard to get rid of....any input on this will be greatly appreciated.
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: July 10, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
We put in millet every other year or so. Never had a problem. I'm in zone 6B. The seed cone never lasts long enough to spread as the deer wipe it out before it gets the chance to fully mature.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: July 10, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
I[picked my first 2 tomatoes...will have with supper. Made compost tea and watered the tomatoes with it.....they are rather scraggly looking this yr. Side dressed peppers with just compost. Sent off a soil test....am awaiting results. Some things in the garden look great, some things not at all like the usual, especially tomatoes. So....???? Have never done or felt I needed to do a soil test.....am excited about seeing what it shows.

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: July 10, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
We put in millet every other year or so. Never had a problem. I'm in zone 6B. The seed cone never lasts long enough to spread as the deer wipe it out before it gets the chance to fully mature.
Wade
Thanks Wade - when I sowed it I was hoping for a little rain to get it started. Now we're looking at possibly a hurricane and estimated 12-24 inches of rain in the next few days, so it might be a complete bust...
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: July 10, 2019, 03:56:11 PM »
Bush hogged, plowed, and then scattered some millet and sunflowers this past weekend in the hopes of attracting a few doves when the season rolls around. I'm kind of late starting this but I figure if nothing else, when tilled under it will make good compost/green manure. I was informed, after I spread the seed of course, that millet may become invasive and hard to get rid of....any input on this will be greatly appreciated.
Shane

You can cut or till in before the seeds become viable.  Millet is sold as a cover crop to build organic matter, erosion control. weed suppression and pest control. 

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: July 12, 2019, 05:52:35 AM »
My garden has never been big.  It's measured in square footage, not acreage. And this year, I scaled back even further - a few okra plants with some eggplants so the okra doesnít sweat in the heat alone. It was time for a break. The result is the daily harvests are modest. Thatís a polite way to say, ďI ainít gettín much.Ē Thatís okay. What the garden isnít giving in quantity, itís making up for in color.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3966 on: July 12, 2019, 06:35:09 AM »
It may be a smallish harvest but it sure is pretty.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: July 12, 2019, 10:16:21 AM »
I agree with Maggie....love those colors.  I have a small backyard garden but love when I plant a good mix of colorful veggies.....healthy,too, for eating!

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: July 12, 2019, 05:44:45 PM »
Just came home from a mini 2 day vacation to find the tomatoes needed attention.
We picked and have them all stored out on a big table on our front porch and will have another Salsa canning festival tomorrow.
Picked another bucket of okra, jalapeno's, and our first cantaloupe that we'll have for breakfast in the morning.
Most of the toms are Big Beef with a few Chef's Choice Orange and a few others mixed in.....and a bonus bucket of red cherry and sun gold yellows.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: July 13, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
Wow ccat,

That's one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen!!! Lots of good honest work ahead canning all those up and some mighty fine eating!! I picked a few tomatoes yesterday but ours are just about finished up in this heat. Thanks for sharing this photo. It looks like your new ground is very fertile.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: July 13, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
ccat...those look wonderful! Have fun with the "salsa festival"!

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: July 13, 2019, 09:01:52 PM »
Well, the Salsas Debacle is over........and we are pooped.
My wife got us all set up in the kitchen and we went at it full bore.
We ended up making 4 gallons (made it in a 5 gallon bucket) of salsa that ended with 7 quarts and 7 pints and a bunch we just ate.
All from the garden....tomatoes, garlic, onions and jalapeno's.
After the Salsa, it was time to run all the rest of the toms thru the food processor for canning tomorrow.
We ended with THREE 5 gallon buckets FULL.
I put them in the frig in my shop and I'll can them in the All American tomorrow.   That thing is a beast and canning 14 quarts at once is a real plus.
I took Donald's advice years ago and bought the All American Canner.
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: July 14, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »
Mission accomplished. I had to dodge some intermittent, light showers, but the fall tomatoes are planted. The young seedlings will need some shade protection, but that can wait for a sunnier day.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: July 14, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »
....and now the Tomato canning festival is OVER.
45 quarts and I am officially DONE......at least for a week or so.  I'd like another 40-50 quarts and our winter stock will be done.
But I did notice the PHP's need to be picked, so I will arm myself with 3-4 buckets later today and start the picking.

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: July 15, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
just finished picking 9 buckets of tomatoes(21 buckets total for the last 3 days)a bucket of corn,2 cantaloupes,a sack of cukes and a sack of beans
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3975 on: July 15, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
just finished picking 9 buckets of tomatoes(21 buckets total for the last 3 days)a bucket of corn,2 cantaloupes,a sack of cukes and a sack of beans
How on earth did you get in there Champ?  It has rained here so much I can only look . The  rain gauge ran over at 5 " during the night. Hopefully, its moving out of here  today. 
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Wow.....send some rain here. We have gotten some here and there very occasionally, but most of it has been extremely brief. The air is heavy....we need some relief even tho it rained a little longer than usual yesterday for about 30-40 min.....loved it, much needed. Been weeding and do think I have some sweat under my nose....wow!!! ;D

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: July 15, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »
How on earth did you get in there Champ?  It has rained here so much I can only look . The  rain gauge ran over at 5 " during the night. Hopefully, its moving out of here  today.
we have had 1/2" of rain during all of this "hurricane" barry (ought to have known it would be a dud) and unless something changes, i may try to start getting a pea patch ready to plant tomorrow.....it may be too wet, but i don't think so
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:20:53 PM by 2010 National Champs »
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: July 15, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
Double wow Rabbitproof and Champ.  Well,it was not a dud here- we have lost 3 big trees and the ground is so boggy.The power went off for a time around 3 am but came back on before daylight.
 I went to cut some limbs off of an electric fence  about 2 hrs ago and since the neighbor plants field corn on that acreage during the spring and summer, I grabbed an ear of half dried corn for the peacocks to peck- but.... it had mold starting to grow on  a third of it. He was only able to plant a partial corn crop because of the flooding this Spring and this is one of the better areas. Most of the cotton has wet feet right now and that's bad for it too.

Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: July 15, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
Judy...Have been just blown away by the pics of Ms's STILL STANDING flood waters down near Eagle Lake are and others....for what,  5 or 6 months now? Truly hard to believe!! So much lost in crops....just unreal!! A good friend of ours retired from 50 yrs of farming....3,ooo acres of cotton, soybeans, and in recent yrs, corn. He retired last Fall after the harvest. I don't know exactly how much his acreage was impacted in all but boy, did he pick a great time to retire!!!!  So sorry y'all are having trouble with the storms impact.